Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Battery question

Only *sealed* lead acid SLA or gel-cell types should be used.

You might end up with acid burns on the kiddies if you use a battery for
utility equipment.

Additionally, using a liquid electrolyte battery will tend to leave a thin
film of the acid around the battery from charging.

Gelled electrolyte and SLA batteries are available from numerous sources.
Any of those battery-store type places should be able to get you a new safe
battery quickly.

I haven't looked, but I would guess that some stores that sell the little
electric vehicles for children would have kid-safe batteries.

Aside from those two sources, many online battery suppliers have SLA gel
type batteries in numerous capacity ratings.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas wrote in message
news
My grandkids have an electric atv. The battery is kaflooey, and I need to
get another. It is a 12v. 8ah, and says cautions on battery acid. So,
apparently, it is an acid battery. It is pretty much sealed. It is
approx. 2.5"w x 4"h x 6"l. I was wondering if I could just get a battery
like is used in atvs or motorcycles or such and use that, giving it more
riding time. These can be put in two at a time if properly connected.
Not sure + to - or + to +, but the directions will have that. Do you
think that would be too much battery?

Steve