Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Stauffer Don Stauffer is offline

Default Battery question

SteveB wrote:
My grandkids have an electric atv. The battery is kaflooey, and I need to
get another. It is a 12v. 8ah, and says cautions on battery acid. So,
apparently, it is an acid battery. It is pretty much sealed. It is approx.
2.5"w x 4"h x 6"l. I was wondering if I could just get a battery like is
used in atvs or motorcycles or such and use that, giving it more riding
time. These can be put in two at a time if properly connected. Not sure +
to - or + to +, but the directions will have that. Do you think that would
be too much battery?

Steve

If you buy 6V units, tie the positive of one to the negative of the
other. That leaves one positive and one negative left- these are the +
and - of the "new" battery. That is, they are connected in series.

If you buy 12 volt battery, rather than two smaller ones in parallel,
just buy one with more amp hours. It will be cheaper and take up less space.