Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Battery question

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 13:01:22 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

"SteveB" toquerville@zionvistas fired this volley in
news
My grandkids have an electric atv. The battery is kaflooey, and I
need to get another. It is a 12v. 8ah, and says cautions on battery
acid. So, apparently, it is an acid battery. It is pretty much
sealed. It is approx. 2.5"w x 4"h x 6"l. I was wondering if I

could
just get a battery like is used in atvs or motorcycles or such and

use
that, giving it more riding time. These can be put in two at a time
if properly connected. Not sure + to - or + to +, but the

directions
will have that. Do you think that would be too much battery?

Steve

You can get 12v motorcycle batteries in the 20Ah range. They might
not fit exactly in the hole you have, but would be interchangable in
terms of voltage, and would last twice as long as what you have.

If you're using multiple batteries, and they're all 12V types, put
them in parallel. That is, put - to - and + to +.

LLoyd

DO NOT use flooded acid cells on a kid's toy.
NEVER.
AGM batteries for that application are common, readily available, and
relatively cheap. They are also leak-proof and safe.