Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Moving heavy machines

Since there seems to be alot on this subject lately, I'll add this,
spent the weekend moving machines around my shop. Bought a set of
these machine skates from ebay Item number: 350099092584

About 1/4 the price of Hilmans and they worked very well, they were
made in Taiwan (not China; different in my book). A local rigger
wanted $650.00 for the move. Local rental place wanted about $100 for
a set of roller for a day, which would have been about $125 once tax
and insurance fees were added on. And I'm sure I'll be using them
several more times yet. Now I just need a place to store them.

No connection to the seller other than I was a customer.

Bottom of the grinder (B & S Techmaster 824) was not at all flat so
rolling on pipes was not an option.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 08:39:46 -0500, the infamous Randy
scrawled the following:

Since there seems to be alot on this subject lately, I'll add this,
spent the weekend moving machines around my shop. Bought a set of
these machine skates from ebay Item number: 350099092584

Aww, too bad you didn't talk to Leigh at Mar Machine.
eBay 370102972015, 3 skates for $200. He might have made a deal for
you.

About 1/4 the price of Hilmans and they worked very well, they were
made in Taiwan (not China; different in my book). A local rigger
wanted $650.00 for the move. Local rental place wanted about $100 for
a set of roller for a day, which would have been about $125 once tax
and insurance fees were added on. And I'm sure I'll be using them
several more times yet. Now I just need a place to store them.

That's something I would have either made myself or rented, but I'm
chea^H^H^H^Hfrugal as all getout.

--
Some days, it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Randy,
The big boys use compressed air pallets. They are amazing to watch move very
heavy machines around a warehouse on these things. It does take a reasonable
smooth flat concrete floor, but they move by fingertip pressure only. If I
ever move again, I will make an air pallet for every machine and permanently
mount the machines to the pallets.
Steve

"Randy" wrote in message
Since there seems to be alot on this subject lately, I'll add this,
spent the weekend moving machines around my shop. Bought a set of
these machine skates from ebay Item number: 350099092584

About 1/4 the price of Hilmans and they worked very well, they were
made in Taiwan (not China; different in my book). A local rigger
wanted $650.00 for the move. Local rental place wanted about $100 for
a set of roller for a day, which would have been about $125 once tax
and insurance fees were added on. And I'm sure I'll be using them
several more times yet. Now I just need a place to store them.

No connection to the seller other than I was a customer.

Bottom of the grinder (B & S Techmaster 824) was not at all flat so
rolling on pipes was not an option.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 17:18:22 +0100, "Steve Lusardi"
wrote:

Randy,
The big boys use compressed air pallets. They are amazing to watch move very
heavy machines around a warehouse on these things. It does take a reasonable
smooth flat concrete floor, but they move by fingertip pressure only. If I
ever move again, I will make an air pallet for every machine and permanently
mount the machines to the pallets.
Steve

Sometimes stopping them is a bit problematic if you get them moving
too fast.....

"Randy" wrote in message
.. .
Since there seems to be alot on this subject lately, I'll add this,
spent the weekend moving machines around my shop. Bought a set of
these machine skates from ebay Item number: 350099092584

About 1/4 the price of Hilmans and they worked very well, they were
made in Taiwan (not China; different in my book). A local rigger
wanted $650.00 for the move. Local rental place wanted about $100 for
a set of roller for a day, which would have been about $125 once tax
and insurance fees were added on. And I'm sure I'll be using them
several more times yet. Now I just need a place to store them.

No connection to the seller other than I was a customer.

Bottom of the grinder (B & S Techmaster 824) was not at all flat so
rolling on pipes was not an option.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 15:58:57 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

Randy,
The big boys use compressed air pallets. They are amazing to watch move very
heavy machines around a warehouse on these things. It does take a reasonable
smooth flat concrete floor, but they move by fingertip pressure only. If I
ever move again, I will make an air pallet for every machine and permanently
mount the machines to the pallets.
Steve

Sometimes stopping them is a bit problematic if you get them moving
too fast.....

----------
Try cutting off the compressed air.....

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils:
for Time is the greatest innovator: and
what shall be the end?

Essays, "Of Innovations" (1597-1625).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Randy,
The big boys use compressed air pallets. They are amazing to watch move
very
heavy machines around a warehouse on these things. It does take a
reasonable
smooth flat concrete floor, but they move by fingertip pressure only. If
ever move again, I will make an air pallet for every machine and
permanently
mount the machines to the pallets.
Steve

Sometimes stopping them is a bit problematic if you get them moving
too fast.....

----------
Try cutting off the compressed air.....

Elegant solution!!

But I think Gunner would prefer to combat the accrued momentum of a 6,000 #
machine with his own fairly substantial inertia, if his posts are even a
hint of an indication....
--
DT

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils:
for Time is the greatest innovator: and
what shall be the end?

Essays, "Of Innovations" (1597-1625).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Randy,
The big boys use compressed air pallets. They are amazing to watch move very
heavy machines around a warehouse on these things. It does take a reasonable
smooth flat concrete floor, but they move by fingertip pressure only. If I
ever move again, I will make an air pallet for every machine and permanently
mount the machines to the pallets.
Steve

Sometimes stopping them is a bit problematic if you get them moving
too fast.....

----------
Try cutting off the compressed air.....

ayup...and you have a fast moving heavy chunk of iron suddenly
slamming into the floor.

Inertia is a bitch......
Tends to make things fall over and other bad stuff.....

Gunner

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils:
for Time is the greatest innovator: and
what shall be the end?

Essays, "Of Innovations" (1597-1625).

Whenever a Liberal utters the term "Common Sense approach"....grab your
wallet, your ass, and your guns because the sombitch is about to do
something damned nasty to all three of them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 19:32:21 -0600, the infamous F. George McDuffee
scrawled the following:

wrote:

Randy,
The big boys use compressed air pallets. They are amazing to watch move very
heavy machines around a warehouse on these things. It does take a reasonable
smooth flat concrete floor, but they move by fingertip pressure only. If I
ever move again, I will make an air pallet for every machine and permanently
mount the machines to the pallets.
Steve

Sometimes stopping them is a bit problematic if you get them moving
too fast.....

----------
Try cutting off the compressed air.....

And if they're moving very fast, watch them topple over. The base
stops faster than the top. Oops!

--
Change is the process by which the future invades our lives.
-- Alvin Toffler
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

The big boys use compressed air pallets. They are amazing to watch move very
heavy machines around a warehouse on these things. It does take a reasonable
smooth flat concrete floor, but they move by fingertip pressure only. If I
ever move again, I will make an air pallet for every machine and permanently
mount the machines to the pallets.
Steve

Sometimes stopping them is a bit problematic if you get them moving
too fast.....

Try cutting off the compressed air.....

Well, turning off the air to the pallet will stop the BOTTOM of the
machine being moved real fast. However, the message won't get to the
TOP of the machine being moved for quite some time...

Wonderful things like Center of Mass and Inertia take over...

"Tim-berrr!" Cause anything even remotely tall and tippy is going
over, and you don't want to be between it and the floor.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Lusardi wrote:

Randy,
The big boys use compressed air pallets.

Done with the workbench?
Just scoot it out of the way!

http://www.hovair.com/products/produ...r-bearings.wmv

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Id rather make sure the sumbitch doesnt go too fast...then slowly ease
off the air when its in position.

Saves having to bring the riggers in to set the machine back upright,
assuming it didnt bust it all to hell when it fell over.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 23:55:41 -0800, Winston
wrote:

Steve Lusardi wrote:

Randy,
The big boys use compressed air pallets.

Done with the workbench?
Just scoot it out of the way!

http://www.hovair.com/products/produ...r-bearings.wmv

--Winston

No prices on the web site.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 08:48:17 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 08:39:46 -0500, the infamous Randy
scrawled the following:

Since there seems to be alot on this subject lately, I'll add this,
spent the weekend moving machines around my shop. Bought a set of
these machine skates from ebay Item number: 350099092584

Aww, too bad you didn't talk to Leigh at Mar Machine.
eBay 370102972015, 3 skates for $200. He might have made a deal for
you.

no swivel top, no way to steer. with 4 wheels at the corners it would
be much harder to steer than the tank track design.

I'll still say I got a good deal. Renting would have been cheaper,
but I know I'll use them several more times.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 07:50:08 -0500, the infamous Randy
scrawled the following:

wrote:

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 08:39:46 -0500, the infamous Randy
scrawled the following:

Since there seems to be alot on this subject lately, I'll add this,
spent the weekend moving machines around my shop. Bought a set of
these machine skates from ebay Item number: 350099092584

Aww, too bad you didn't talk to Leigh at Mar Machine.
eBay 370102972015, 3 skates for $200. He might have made a deal for
you.

no swivel top,

True, but there is a much taller profile on your model, so the machine
has to be lifted higher. That's never fun.

no way to steer.

Got a welder? Weld on slotted tabs and use a similar steering pole or
weld on a length of pipe to the lead skate and pin it to a steering
pole. I thrive on buying inexpensive tools and modifying them to suit
my exact needs.

with 4 wheels at the corners it would
be much harder to steer than the tank track design.

I'd imagine that the steering would be just as hard with either.
Also, that's not a tank track design, as the wheels move individually,
not together. It's more like solid, full-width rollers vs separate,
narrower rollers.

I'll still say I got a good deal. Renting would have been cheaper,
but I know I'll use them several more times.

And for your own purchases, you're the only guy who counts.

--
Change is the process by which the future invades our lives.
-- Alvin Toffler
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

No Bridgeport, or any other reasonably stable machine (no
OBI presses, etc.) will build up enough momentum to cause
a problem. Unless you're moving downhill of course.

dennis
in nca

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that Bruce L. Bergman
wrote on Tue, 28 Oct 2008 22:10:51
-0700 in rec.crafts.metalworking :
wrote:

[...]

Or anything solid. As has been so eloquently put "**** flattens."

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
"I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that rigger
wrote on Wed, 29 Oct 2008 09:17:09 -0700 (PDT) in
rec.crafts.metalworking :

wrote:
[...]

Momentum is momentum. Speed is only one component, mass is the
other. And when you have a lot of mass, little slopes suddenly become
Huge Downgrades. Or upgrades for that matter. I think I did
permanent damage trying to move material from one bay to another. It
was only about a three inch rise, but when you're pushing two tons 'by
hand', that becomes a mighty tall hill.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
"I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed
over walking into the saloon, because when I asked the bartender
whether they served zombies he said, ‘Sure, what'll you have?'"
from I Hear America Swinging by Peter DeVries
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Steve Lusardi wrote:

Randy,
The big boys use compressed air pallets.

Done with the workbench?
Just scoot it out of the way!

http://www.hovair.com/products/produ...r-bearings.wmv

--Winston

No prices on the web site.

Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Wrap a rubberized fabric sheet (pierced with very small holes ...) around
a flat plate with an inlet pipe on top sized for a vacuum cleaner hose .
Hook the other end of the hole to the blow outlet of your shop vac . Bigger
the plate/sheet , bigger the load . Escaping air will form an "air bearing"
between the sheet and the floor . Had a device that used two long skinny
plates for moving appliances when I was a vinyl flooring installer , you can
literally slow dance with a refrigerator . Google "airsled" for a look at
these .
--
Snag
'90 Ultra "Strider"