Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Moving heavy machines

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 07:50:08 -0500, the infamous Randy
scrawled the following:

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 08:48:17 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 08:39:46 -0500, the infamous Randy
scrawled the following:

Since there seems to be alot on this subject lately, I'll add this,
spent the weekend moving machines around my shop. Bought a set of
these machine skates from ebay Item number: 350099092584

Aww, too bad you didn't talk to Leigh at Mar Machine.
eBay 370102972015, 3 skates for $200. He might have made a deal for
you.

no swivel top,

True, but there is a much taller profile on your model, so the machine
has to be lifted higher. That's never fun.

no way to steer.

Got a welder? Weld on slotted tabs and use a similar steering pole or
weld on a length of pipe to the lead skate and pin it to a steering
pole. I thrive on buying inexpensive tools and modifying them to suit
my exact needs.

with 4 wheels at the corners it would
be much harder to steer than the tank track design.

I'd imagine that the steering would be just as hard with either.
Also, that's not a tank track design, as the wheels move individually,
not together. It's more like solid, full-width rollers vs separate,
narrower rollers.

I'll still say I got a good deal. Renting would have been cheaper,
but I know I'll use them several more times.

And for your own purchases, you're the only guy who counts.

--
Change is the process by which the future invades our lives.
-- Alvin Toffler