Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner[_2_] Gunner[_2_] is offline

Default Moving heavy machines

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 23:25:10 -0400, "DrollTroll"
wrote:

"F. George McDuffee" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 15:58:57 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

Randy,
The big boys use compressed air pallets. They are amazing to watch move
very
heavy machines around a warehouse on these things. It does take a
reasonable
smooth flat concrete floor, but they move by fingertip pressure only. If
ever move again, I will make an air pallet for every machine and
permanently
mount the machines to the pallets.
Steve

Sometimes stopping them is a bit problematic if you get them moving
too fast.....

----------
Try cutting off the compressed air.....

Elegant solution!!

But I think Gunner would prefer to combat the accrued momentum of a 6,000 #
machine with his own fairly substantial inertia, if his posts are even a
hint of an indication....

Id rather make sure the sumbitch doesnt go too fast...then slowly ease
off the air when its in position.

Saves having to bring the riggers in to set the machine back upright,
assuming it didnt bust it all to hell when it fell over.

Gunner