Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Moving machines

Hello all,

Is is just me, or does the metalworking industry seem deaf to hobbyists
and other home-shop customers? Put another way, what is the correct
approach to getting a machine off a truck in one piece. I am by no
means fixed on the Enco lathe, but I asked them about shipping, and have
gotten mixed signals about a lift gate. I can understand "it's too
heavy for that" but it seems strange to me that companies that sell
heavy items do such a poor job of giving consistent answers to customers.

I have an engine hoist and an F-150 that would be able to cope with
safely getting a 1000 lb lathe down my sloping driveway, but going from
flat bed to the ground is another story. Control over shipping was a
big factor in choosing Rutland for my mill-drill, though I will admit
the process was not free of surprises. It worked out well, but proved I
was right to have respect for the weight of what was arriving.

How do YOU handle a ton or so slathered on cosmoline sitting on a truck
outside your home? Do I need to buy a fork lift to be one of the guys?
There are manual stackers that have suitable capacity, but they
appear to be a lot more expensive than the 500-700 lb variety I have
been considering for general use.

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You can rent a forklift.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill Schwab wrote:

[...]

Here's what I do:
http://www.tinyisland.com/images/temp/gantry.jpg

(By the way the beam raises up about five feet.)

And here's what I used to do:
http://www.tinyisland.com/images/ihstand.jpg

Another thing you can do is to have the freight shipped to a warehouse,
where you go pick it up. Don't use your F-150's bed. Pull a low trailer.
That way your engine hoist will have a chance.

I picked a Bridgeport mill off a low trailer once using a cheap 2-ton
engine hoist.

GWE
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 11, 9:54 am, Bill Schwab wrote:
[...]

It may be their trucking company of choice doesn't offer
much in the way of high-cap lift gates. Check with other
trucking companies in your area to see if they offer heavy
lift gates and what they would charge to re-deliver to you
if you have the lathe delivered to them; it might be the
cheapest choice.

If this works you may also avoid some fork lift anxiety.

dennis
in nca

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

When I bought my Enco lathe several years ago, I paid around $50 extra
(to Enco) for "lift gate service" which amounted to a regular tractor
trailer delivering the lathe and a flatbed tow truck attempting to
unload and slide it off. The tow truck driver (which the trucking
company hired, not me) was inexperienced and had to call for a
forklift from his towing company (which fortunately they had). If I
had to do it again, I would have the lathe delivered to a local
rigger, and have the rigger deliver and unload it at my convenience
for around $500. Obviously not cheap, but the least hassle.

If you want cheap, try to find a place where you can rent a drop-deck
trailer (ie. the bed can lower all the way to the ground). Then see
if Enco will deliver to a local terminal. You pick up from the
terminal and have them load your trailer with their forklift. Maybe
even have them remove the pallet with the forklift (by lifting the
lathe bed using some wood blocks, or with a sling, both of which you
supply).

You can also hire a flatbed tow truck with a driver that has
experience unloading machines. But expect to pay for several hours of
his time while you and he wait for the tractor trailer to show up.
You could also send him to the local terminal.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RDF RDF is offline

"Bill Schwab" wrote in message
[...]

Iggy and I along with a few friends used a Bobcat with forks on it to get a
Bridgeport mill off of his trailer and into my garage. Now, a few of us had
to sit on the end of the Bobcat as it was lifting the rear wheels off the
ground. There is no easy answer. A gantry is ideal but how many of us have
on in the shop? I wish I had one. An engine hoist would have bent in half if
we tried that one.... The price of having cool tools I guess.... I won't
move any time soon simply due to the size of some of the gear and tool boxes
in my shop. To move all the shop stuff a Rigging company was 10K and that
was from NC to Chicago just to drop it in place.... I guess I need a
printing press for cash next! I feel your pain Bill. That's just how it is.

Respects,

Rob

Fraser Competition Engines
Chicago, IL.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill Schwab wrote:

[...]

You can probably unload from the flatbed to the pickup a bit more
easily. I did that with a big stack washer/dryer when the box truck
delivering it couldn't handle my very steep driveway. Was only a couple
feet of height difference from the box truck to the pickup so that part
was pretty easy.

Another thing you can do if you pre-plan is build up a ramp-pad that the
flatbed can pull alongside and you can back the truck up onto so it
matches the flatbed height. People do this to full dock height, but if
you use the pickup the ramp only has to be a couple feet high. You can
use solid concrete blocks, 6x cribbing or dirt to build the ramp.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

rigger wrote:

[...]

If it's a 1,000# lathe, I don't see how any trucking company would have
a lift gate that it was too heavy for. I don't think I've seen a lift
gate under 2,500# capacity.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill Schwab wrote:
[...]

Can you get the shipping company to load
the lathe on your pickup at their terminal?

It might be quite a bit cheaper and easier.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RDF" wrote: (clip) I guess I need a printing press for cash next! (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
They are heavy too.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-10-11, RDF wrote:

[...]

So, Bill, is it a 1000 lbs or a ton?

outside your home? Do I need to buy a fork lift to be one of the guys?
There are manual stackers that have suitable capacity, but they appear to
be a lot more expensive than the 500-700 lb variety I have been
considering for general use.

Bill

Iggy and I along with a few friends used a Bobcat with forks on it to get a
Bridgeport mill off of his trailer and into my garage. Now, a few of us had
to sit on the end of the Bobcat as it was lifting the rear wheels off the
ground.

That was a scary moment.

There is no easy answer. A gantry is ideal but how many of us have
on in the shop? I wish I had one. An engine hoist would have bent in half if
we tried that one.... The price of having cool tools I guess.... I won't
move any time soon simply due to the size of some of the gear and tool boxes
in my shop. To move all the shop stuff a Rigging company was 10K and that
was from NC to Chicago just to drop it in place.... I guess I need a
printing press for cash next! I feel your pain Bill. That's just how it is.

There is no easy answer, but, 1,000 lbs is not that much either. So a
clarification is in order, what is the weight of the lathe.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 17:56:52 -0000, Albert wrote:

You can also hire a flatbed tow truck with a driver that has
experience unloading machines. But expect to pay for several hours of
his time while you and he wait for the tractor trailer to show up.
You could also send him to the local terminal.

I agree that a rollback wrecker with an experienced driver is about
the best way to move a piece of heavy machinery into (or out of) a
ground level garage. Unless the freight terminal is far away, sending
the rollback to the terminal is probably the best option.

Here's my buddy "Animal" moving a large furnace shell out of my shop.
(Animal has the pony tail, I have the shiny spot where the pony tail
used to be.) I wouldn't want him dating my daughter, but he's never
made me nervous moving anything, and I don't recall ever paying more
than $150 for a half-day job.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-10-11, RDF wrote:

[...]

I had the front end of a tilt bed tow truck 3'+ off the ground when
unloading a large generator. The look on the driver's face was
priceless. We gently removed the load from the back with a pair of big
jacks and lowered the front of the truck back to the ground.

There is no easy answer. A gantry is ideal but how many of us have
on in the shop? I wish I had one. An engine hoist would have bent in half if
we tried that one.... The price of having cool tools I guess.... I won't
move any time soon simply due to the size of some of the gear and tool boxes
in my shop. To move all the shop stuff a Rigging company was 10K and that
was from NC to Chicago just to drop it in place.... I guess I need a
printing press for cash next! I feel your pain Bill. That's just how it is.

There is no easy answer, but, 1,000 lbs is not that much either. So a
clarification is in order, what is the weight of the lathe.

Nope, 1,000# is pretty manageable. When it gets over 2,000# then you
start to tax "normal" home shop rigging supplies.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-10-11, RDF wrote:

[...]

Try watching this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=36LrRewRXbU

There is no easy answer. A gantry is ideal but how many of us have
on in the shop? I wish I had one. An engine hoist would have bent in half if
we tried that one.... The price of having cool tools I guess.... I won't
move any time soon simply due to the size of some of the gear and tool boxes
in my shop. To move all the shop stuff a Rigging company was 10K and that
was from NC to Chicago just to drop it in place.... I guess I need a
printing press for cash next! I feel your pain Bill. That's just how it is.

There is no easy answer, but, 1,000 lbs is not that much either. So a
clarification is in order, what is the weight of the lathe.

Nope, 1,000# is pretty manageable. When it gets over 2,000# then you
start to tax "normal" home shop rigging supplies.

Yep, I consider 1,000 lbs to be a more or less a DIY job

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 16:46:49 -0400, Ned Simmons
wrote:

and the link...
http://www.suscom-maine.net/~nsimmon...rnace06asm.jpg

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

I just moved my entire shop about 200 miles. The biggest item is a
Bridgeport, but I have a few other good-sized machines (10" lathe, surface
grinder, 7x12 horizontal band saw, etc.). I used a 16 ft. flatbed truck, a
gantry crane I built, a HF 2ton shop crane, three furniture dollys and 3
extra people.

Lower the mill table completely and run it all the way back against the base
and then turn the head upside down. The shop crane will lift the mill, but
don't try to move it. You'll wreck the casters and gouge the floor. Pick
it up and set it on the dollys and then carefully roll the whole mess (keep
the crane attached and just snug so that if the machine starts to go, the
crane will support it...). I then wheeled it out to the truck, picked it up
with the gantry (2 ton chain hoist) and backed the truck under it.

After loading the big machines, I disassembled the gantry and loaded it on
the truck and, of course, strapped everything down.

At the new place, I didn't know much of anyone, so I hired a couple local
college students to provide some much-needed extra muscle. They were good
workers who did as they were told and we got the machines off the truck and
into the shop with no damage either to the machines or the people.

My total cost of the move was lunch for the friends who helped load, gas for
the truck and fifteen bucks an hour for three hours each for the two kids...

Jerry

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 20:01:01 +0000, Leo Lichtman wrote:

"RDF" wrote: (clip) I guess I need a printing press for cash next! (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
They are heavy too.

Nah, a decent scanner, a color printer, and some rag vellum should
do the trick. ;-)

But wear gloves, or coat your fingertips with Elmer's Glue - the feds
can lift prints off currency. =:-O

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 11, 12:54 pm, Bill Schwab wrote:
[...]

Well here goes

I picked up a 2800 pound mill (Index model 45) in new jersey.

the seller had a boom truck and he boomed it into the rental F250 i
was using for the pickup.

When i got home i called my local towing company (ON the next block
form my house) and explained the situation and asked them to show up
with a boom truck rather than a tilt and load

the boom truck lifted the mill 1" and i drove out from under it then
we lowered the mill onto the hydraulic ram of the truck and backed it
down onto a pallet at the end of my driveway

WHEN i got my shipping container i moved it using a combination of
inexpensive chain hoists a cheap 2 ton shop crane LOTS of web slings
and 4 inch solid concrete blocks to make platforms or supports for the
crane wheels as needed

ANY liftgate should be rated for at least 1000 Lbs

the little gates on the MAC and SNAP on tool trucks have to carry 1000
pound toolboxes so thats kinda bs that a shipping company lacks
something appropriate

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

rigger wrote:
[...]

This is what I was going to recommend -- once you're shipping stuff
that's bigger than what UPS is willing to carry you have to deal with
trucking companies, and their coverage is regional, not national.

I'm lucky in that I have relatives who own a shop that regularly ships
by truck, so I can just have stuff shipped there. They put it in my
pickup, then I take it here, scratch my head, and ask "how in heck am I
going to get this out without breaking it???"

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Have a slant bed towing truck there at the same time.
Have the semi hand fork it over to the waiting truck. Then
the wrecker truck ties it down and moves to the place where
it tilts and lowers it down with the winch.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Bill Schwab wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The problem with the lift gates are insurance. Few have them anymore.

Penske is the only rental with them. They are what the local semi truck
people use when they need to deliver to a non-dock. At a charge...

Bill Schwab wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

I've used various options in the 700-1100 lb tool range, from transporting
disassembled tools by van to delivery by commercial truck w/ liftgate, by
flat bed with forklift (pro riggers) and delivery by pickup with offloading
by the local service station's tow truck. All of them worked with equal
success in the end, but the easiest from a worry standpoint was the flat bed
and forklift.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote:

The problem with the lift gates are insurance. Few have them anymore.

Penske is the only rental with them.

Since when? I rented a 24' box truck (International 4300) with Maxon
lift gate from Budget with no issues just a few years ago as part of my
move, and used it to collect heavy palletized stuff from my various
locations and transfer them to the 53' semi for the long haul.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 11, 9:54 am, Bill Schwab wrote:
Hello all,

Is is just me, or does the metalworking industry seem deaf to hobbyists
and other home-shop customers?

Bill

My $0.02 worth --

To address your question: Metalworking industry is deaf to hobbyists,
as that isn't their main revenue
source. Enco, in my opinion, seems randomly and totally deaf from time
to time....

My Clausing 5914 (12x36) was delivered via a short-trailer enclosed
truck w/liftgate. I
purchased it from Plaza Machinery about a year ago, and R+L Carriers
was the truck line. As I recall,
the truck was selected by Joe at Plaza. As noted by others, any
liftgate will be rated for way more
1000 lbs. The main issue with a typical liftgate (and a top-heavy load
like a lathe) is the tilt down and away
from the truck bed, and the anxiety as you watch the truck driver try
to situate the lathe cross-ways
on the liftgate with the pallet jack, when the liftgate is barely wide
enough to accommodate the lathe
crate. In my case, the driver had to leave the pallet jack wheels
hanging out in space on the free end
of the liftgate. We were able to position the load right in front of
my shop bay door (on gravel driveway),
and later I was able to lift the lathe after unpacking with the HF
shop crane (special version with the
high-tensile orange paint:-), and place on shop floor.
My HF foldable shop crane handles both my J-hd. Bridgeport and the
Clausing (so far) without collapse.
The main problem there is having enough room to actually use the crane
when required, and I am quite
careful with the Bport about sudden shocks while it is being moved
suspended on the crane.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"matt" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Get a couple HF small furniture dollys -- ten bucks a piece on sale -- and
transfer some of the weight to them when you try and move a BP with a shop
crane. Life gets a lot easier. And move it slowly so that when a wheel
catches a rock or something, there isn't enough momentum to make the whole
pile go "crash..."

Jerry (who has done several BP moves this way...)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete, all,

As usual, you guys are great, and I will tear into the entire thread
tomorrow.

If it's a 1,000# lathe, I don't see how any trucking company would have
a lift gate that it was too heavy for. I don't think I've seen a lift
gate under 2,500# capacity.

Interesting. Enco's web site said 2000 lb was the cutoff, which got me
reconsidering the 8x36 mill (sorry to jump around between lathe and a
future mill - I'm trying to figure out how to do this "safe and smart").
I expected no contest to a lift gate for the lathe, but got precisely
that. I will try again though, as I recognized the voice as being
associated with what a friend of mine calls "a thousand points of no".

I took a few minutes to call about rentals. Got a really friendly guy
who says my best fork lift option would be to let him deliver it (damn
thing weighs 10k lb!), one day for just under $400, just under $500 for
two days. From the sound of it, one day should work as long as I know
the machine is arriving that day. Anyway, that's got to be overkill for
a 1000 lb lathe, but perhaps reasonable for a mill. Though at one point
I had a local moving company that would receive and redeliver for around
$500 IIRC. Probably a winner for a mill, at least so far.

More to come. Thanks again!

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 12, 7:18 pm, Bill Schwab wrote:
I took a few minutes to call about rentals. Got a really friendly guy
who says my best fork lift option would be to let him deliver it (damn
thing weighs 10k lb!), one day for just under $400, just under $500 for
two days. From the sound of it, one day should work as long as I know
the machine is arriving that day. Anyway, that's got to be overkill for
a 1000 lb lathe, but perhaps reasonable for a mill. Though at one point
I had a local moving company that would receive and redeliver for around
$500 IIRC. Probably a winner for a mill, at least so far.

More to come. Thanks again!

Bill

Seems like an awful lot of money for something most of us probably do
ourselves. $400 or $500 will buy you a lot of tooling. If you're
clever enough to run a lathe, you're clever enough to get the thing
off the truck and into your shop.

Find a local farmer with a loader. Roll it off onto cribbing and
lower it a block at a time. Slide it down a ramp. Have it delivered
to a local terminal and then load it onto a truck or trailer of your
own, as the delivery driver probably won't want to stand around all
day while you get it off his truck. Just be aware that lathes are
topheavy - make sure it is securely bolted to a pallet or timber frame
wide enough to keep it from tipping.

Interesting that you can rent a 10,000 pound forklift for a day and
have it delivered and picked up for less than the moving company wants
just to deliver a 1,000 pound lathe, no?

John Martin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 12:54:53 -0400, Bill Schwab
wrote:

Hello all,

Is is just me, or does the metalworking industry seem deaf to hobbyists
and other home-shop customers? Put another way, what is the correct
approach to getting a machine off a truck in one piece. I am by no
means fixed on the Enco lathe, but I asked them about shipping, and have
gotten mixed signals about a lift gate. I can understand "it's too
heavy for that" but it seems strange to me that companies that sell
heavy items do such a poor job of giving consistent answers to customers.

Not at all- it's just that you're probably not wanting hobbyist
machines, and I can understand that. There are plenty of tools geared
towards home users that are pretty easy to move around.

I have an engine hoist and an F-150 that would be able to cope with
safely getting a 1000 lb lathe down my sloping driveway, but going from
flat bed to the ground is another story. Control over shipping was a
big factor in choosing Rutland for my mill-drill, though I will admit
the process was not free of surprises. It worked out well, but proved I
was right to have respect for the weight of what was arriving.

How do YOU handle a ton or so slathered on cosmoline sitting on a truck
outside your home? Do I need to buy a fork lift to be one of the guys?
There are manual stackers that have suitable capacity, but they
appear to be a lot more expensive than the 500-700 lb variety I have
been considering for general use.

I just moved a 3000# or so turret lathe into my basement- and I don't
even have a pickup, much less any specialized rigging equipment.

If you ask, I am certain they will deliver the machine to a
distribution center where you can pick it up, and if you can get that
far, you're in business. The way I handled the monster lathe, with
some assistance from the guy I bought it from and another one I work
with, was to held up there a couple of days in advance and load the
machine onto a flatbed trailer- not a flatbed truck, just a regular
pull-behind with stiff enough springs to hold the thing up. We jacked
up the tongue, and pulled it onto the trailer with a manual comealong
attached to the machine and the tongue of the trailer. (At this
point, it should be noted that the machine was already on a wooden
sub-base with casters to help move it, but rollers would work as
well.) After it was secured and strapped down, we towed it the 70
miles or so to my place a few days later, and hooked the comealong to
a tree to pull it off. We just used scrap material to make a
temporary ramp and it came off with a little effort and a lot of care.

My basement is at street level, so after that, it was just a matter of
pushing it into place.

If it was on a semi, there would have been no way in hell to do it-
but with the flatbed trailer, it's not that hard of a job, and you
don't even need a pallet jack, much less a forklift.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

John,

Seems like an awful lot of money for something most of us probably do
ourselves. $400 or $500 will buy you a lot of tooling. If you're
clever enough to run a lathe, you're clever enough to get the thing
off the truck and into your shop.

Precisely what we're figuring out how to do.

Find a local farmer with a loader.

I'm nervous enough about trying to coordinate a trucking company and a
rental service. Leaning on people with other priorities is unlikely to
work, even if I knew a farmer. Besides, with our drought conditions,
farmers are probably in a really bad mood. Though I suppose that could
make them eager to pick up some extra cash.

Roll it off onto cribbing and
lower it a block at a time. Slide it down a ramp. Have it delivered
to a local terminal and then load it onto a truck or trailer of your
own, as the delivery driver probably won't want to stand around all
day while you get it off his truck. Just be aware that lathes are
topheavy - make sure it is securely bolted to a pallet or timber frame
wide enough to keep it from tipping.

The terminal idea is a good one. One possibility is to have the lathe
delivered to work (aka home of the Gators) and get it into my pickup
from there. So far, I know of a scissor lift, but it is on the other
end of the hospital from the loading dock. Crossing the building with
1000 lb of cast iron is not a way to make friends, and there would be
other logistic problems. If there is a scissor lift at the dock, it
might work. Naturally, I would clear it in advance.

Interesting that you can rent a 10,000 pound forklift for a day and
have it delivered and picked up for less than the moving company wants
just to deliver a 1,000 pound lathe, no?

A forklift is (or should be) overkill for a lathe. I am also viewing
this, to some extent, as a rehearsal for receiving a mill. I handled
the mill-drill, but with not too much margin thanks to a sloping
driveway and other seemingly small details.

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You should be able to unload a 1,000 lbs lathe from a pickup using a
"shop crane", a.k.a. "engine hoist". You can make this even easier by
removing various parts from the lathe. It is not really a "big
deal". You have to be careful and make sure that the center of gravity
of the lathe is inside the perimeter of crane legs and everything is
properly prevented from moving. As a precaution, I always throw a
couple of bags of soil on the back of the crane when lifting heavy
stuff on a driveway.

I loaded a Clausing 8530 mill on my pickup using my crane. See

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/packing/clausing/

Observe proper precautions, that is, go slow, do not stand under load,
keep things as low as possible, think about what can go wrong, etc.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim,

This is what I was going to recommend -- once you're shipping stuff
that's bigger than what UPS is willing to carry you have to deal with
trucking companies, and their coverage is regional, not national.

I'm lucky in that I have relatives who own a shop that regularly ships
by truck, so I can just have stuff shipped there. They put it in my
pickup, then I take it here, scratch my head, and ask "how in heck am I
going to get this out without breaking it???"

I can almost match that with help from UF. Receiving works great. I
will investigate their options for getting things into my pickup. So
far, I moved a healthy sized compressor and what amounted to a
horizontal freezer to my chairman's house for ultimate retrieval by the
company that loaned it to us. To get on the truck, we used a lift on
the opposite side of the building from our dock, and then muscled the
items down from the truck at his house - a lathe would take more thought
on the way down.

I'll bite: how do you get stuff out of your pickup w/o breaking it?
What is the heaviest item you would put in an F-150? It is surprising
to me how many times I've handled 900-1000 lb loads in less than a year
that I've owned it. Based on that, I would not expect trouble with the
lathe, other than some care to avoid tearing/puncturing the bed liner
(or worse yet the bed itself) with a concentrated load. Is it
reasonable to expect a palette to provide enough protection?

The sloped driveway will not bother my truck. With it backed up against
the garage, I should be able to ramp it down using a come-along.
Currently, the bed liner covers the cleat holes, so I would probably
want to fix that first. I didn't do it I found a 96 F-150 w/ 75k
miles, regular cab and manual tranny (both pluses in my book), and only
minorly abused - too good of a deal to pass up, even with a brain-dead
liner. If my engine hoist can get high enough to lift the lathe off the
bed, and w/o hitting the garage ceiling, then so much the better.

If any of that sounds unrealistic, please speak up.

Bill
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ned,

I agree that a rollback wrecker with an experienced driver is about
the best way to move a piece of heavy machinery into (or out of) a
ground level garage. Unless the freight terminal is far away, sending
the rollback to the terminal is probably the best option.

The only trick to what you show is that the tailer would be too long to
back up against the garage, meaning there would be a need to cope with
some driveway slope, and a small climb into the garage. I do not (yet
anyway) have a place to anchor a come-along to pull into the garage.

Here's my buddy "Animal" moving a large furnace shell out of my shop.
(Animal has the pony tail, I have the shiny spot where the pony tail
used to be.) I wouldn't want him dating my daughter, but he's never
made me nervous moving anything, and I don't recall ever paying more
than $150 for a half-day job.

I'm hearing three times that to receive and re-deliver.

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ned,

Here's my buddy "Animal" moving a large furnace shell out of my shop.
(Animal has the pony tail, I have the shiny spot where the pony tail
used to be.) I wouldn't want him dating my daughter, but he's never
made me nervous moving anything, and I don't recall ever paying more
than $150 for a half-day job.

BTW, Animal reminds me of the guy who first taught me to run a mill.

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rob,

Iggy and I along with a few friends used a Bobcat with forks on it to get a
Bridgeport mill off of his trailer and into my garage. Now, a few of us had
to sit on the end of the Bobcat as it was lifting the rear wheels off the
ground. There is no easy answer. A gantry is ideal but how many of us have
on in the shop? I wish I had one. An engine hoist would have bent in half if
we tried that one.... The price of having cool tools I guess.... I won't
move any time soon simply due to the size of some of the gear and tool boxes
in my shop. To move all the shop stuff a Rigging company was 10K and that
was from NC to Chicago just to drop it in place.... I guess I need a
printing press for cash next! I feel your pain Bill. That's just how it is.

It's not pain so much as I want to be very sure I understand what I am
doing. The lathe might simply cause me to buy a beefier work positioner
than I had in mind. I found an 800 lb capacity unit that looked
attractive, but bigger might be better. Note that I am not thinking of
it just for the lathe - I have other uses, but still have time to size
it accordingly.

What about the basic approach shown he

http://www.benchtest.com/w-grizz.html

Would that reduce a larger mill into pickup truck sized pieces? People
have reported doing it, I just don't know how crazy it is. I am
thinking local moves only. Aside from all of the work involved, tipping
the base could be ugly (to put it in the bed). I saw a picture of just
that having been done, but can't find it again. Just asking

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Iggie,

How do YOU handle a ton or so slathered on cosmoline sitting on a truck

So, Bill, is it a 1000 lbs or a ton?

The lathe is 1000 lb, which I should be able to handle, but could use
some advice.

The ton is in the back of my mind for next time. I am trying to figure
out just how far I am willing to go on a mill. It seems reasonable (to
me anyway) to consider both problems as I get close to buying the lathe.

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete, Iggie,

Nope, 1,000# is pretty manageable. When it gets over 2,000# then you
start to tax "normal" home shop rigging supplies.

Yep, I consider 1,000 lbs to be a more or less a DIY job

That's just the kind of thing I am hoping to learn. Some questions a

What are the best options for DIYing a 1000 lb lathe into and out of a
pickup? Is it reasonable to do w/o a trailer? I might have to ask some
follow up questions because my driveway isn't the friendliest.

How sharp is the 2000 lb cutoff? Would you rig a mill at that weight,
or seek help? I am asking because I might decide to alter my shopping
list. My position has been to insist on a 12" cross travel, but there
are 8x36 mills that weigh under 1700 lb - I like that, especially if I
were to remove a component or two. Enco does not sell them, but there
are mills that at least are advertised as weighing 2000 lb and having a
12 inch cross travel. If a 2000 lb machine is greatly more manageable
to a hobbyist than would be even a 2400 lb machine, I want to know that,
likewise if 2000 lb is just a bit too much for DIY.

To those who would suggest a benchtop knee to me, I counter by observing
that cross travel is smaller than I have on my mill-drill. I would have
to think carefully before taking that hit. An 8x36 with a 9"+ cross
travel might be worth a look, especially if I can reasonably expect to
be able to rig it myself. If I move a long distance, then
selling/re-buying or trucking are the obvious options. But I have
always slightly cheated the costs of local moves with some elbow grease.
If I give up that option with machines, I want to understand it up
front. Also, I can't help but think that a machine might be better off
being broken down and moved in pieces by its owner vs. being moved by
people who might not have our respect for iron.

Does that help?

Bill
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jerry,

I just moved my entire shop about 200 miles. The biggest item is a
Bridgeport, but I have a few other good-sized machines (10" lathe, surface
grinder, 7x12 horizontal band saw, etc.). I used a 16 ft. flatbed truck, a
gantry crane I built, a HF 2ton shop crane, three furniture dollys and 3
extra people.

Lower the mill table completely and run it all the way back against the base
and then turn the head upside down. The shop crane will lift the mill, but
don't try to move it. You'll wreck the casters and gouge the floor.

I believe you However, you are saying that 2-ton crane can't really
handle a one-ton load, right? I know mine is good for 700 lb.

Pick
it up and set it on the dollys and then carefully roll the whole mess (keep
the crane attached and just snug so that if the machine starts to go, the
crane will support it...). I then wheeled it out to the truck, picked it up
with the gantry (2 ton chain hoist) and backed the truck under it.

Another concern I have is getting a mill out of the way of storm damage
or repair of same. Call me paranoid, but I just want think ahead. That
should do it, as would the old roller trick. The hoist and dollies
sound more to my liking - not sure why.

The bad news is that the mill would hit the most level part of my
driveway and end up on its side 10-20 ft past the end of the driveway.

After loading the big machines, I disassembled the gantry and loaded it on
the truck and, of course, strapped everything down.

At the new place, I didn't know much of anyone, so I hired a couple local
college students to provide some much-needed extra muscle. They were good
workers who did as they were told and we got the machines off the truck and
into the shop with no damage either to the machines or the people.

My total cost of the move was lunch for the friends who helped load, gas for
the truck and fifteen bucks an hour for three hours each for the two kids...

I could not get out of my current home that way (no plans, but one never
knows), but it might work on future moves. Thanks!

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Brent,

I picked up a 2800 pound mill (Index model 45) in new jersey.

the seller had a boom truck and he boomed it into the rental F250 i
was using for the pickup.

Upright in the bed? That must have been an interesting drive, or do I
not have enough respect for F-250's?

When i got home i called my local towing company (ON the next block
form my house) and explained the situation and asked them to show up
with a boom truck rather than a tilt and load

the boom truck lifted the mill 1" and i drove out from under it then
we lowered the mill onto the hydraulic ram of the truck and backed it
down onto a pallet at the end of my driveway

WHEN i got my shipping container i moved it using a combination of
inexpensive chain hoists a cheap 2 ton shop crane LOTS of web slings
and 4 inch solid concrete blocks to make platforms or supports for the
crane wheels as needed

I don't quite get it. Lowered onto the ram of which truck? Did the
mill sit on the palette pending arrival of the shipping container? If
so, how did that help? At 2800 lb, I would almost certainly hire a
rigger, but I'm curious just the same. Similar ideas might be helpful
to me on smaller scale.

ANY liftgate should be rated for at least 1000 Lbs

the little gates on the MAC and SNAP on tool trucks have to carry 1000
pound toolboxes so thats kinda bs that a shipping company lacks
something appropriate

Understood. Let's just say that I recognized the voice, and will call
again. If they understand that the sale is conditional on the answer,
it might change things too.

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-10-13, Bill Schwab wrote:
Pete, Iggie,

Nope, 1,000# is pretty manageable. When it gets over 2,000# then you
start to tax "normal" home shop rigging supplies.

Yep, I consider 1,000 lbs to be a more or less a DIY job

That's just the kind of thing I am hoping to learn. Some questions a

What are the best options for DIYing a 1000 lb lathe into and out of a
pickup?

Shipping terminal is best for getting it into pickup.

Getting out would be done with a "shop crane", especially if you try
to take off all removable parts.

I would not try to unload a 2,000 lbs anything. I paid someone to
deliver my Bridgeport and I am very happy with that decision.

How sharp is the 2000 lb cutoff? Would you rig a mill at that weight,
or seek help?

I would seek help.