Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab Bill Schwab is offline

Default Moving machines

Pete, Iggie,

Nope, 1,000# is pretty manageable. When it gets over 2,000# then you
start to tax "normal" home shop rigging supplies.

Yep, I consider 1,000 lbs to be a more or less a DIY job

That's just the kind of thing I am hoping to learn. Some questions a

What are the best options for DIYing a 1000 lb lathe into and out of a
pickup? Is it reasonable to do w/o a trailer? I might have to ask some
follow up questions because my driveway isn't the friendliest.

How sharp is the 2000 lb cutoff? Would you rig a mill at that weight,
or seek help? I am asking because I might decide to alter my shopping
list. My position has been to insist on a 12" cross travel, but there
are 8x36 mills that weigh under 1700 lb - I like that, especially if I
were to remove a component or two. Enco does not sell them, but there
are mills that at least are advertised as weighing 2000 lb and having a
12 inch cross travel. If a 2000 lb machine is greatly more manageable
to a hobbyist than would be even a 2400 lb machine, I want to know that,
likewise if 2000 lb is just a bit too much for DIY.

To those who would suggest a benchtop knee to me, I counter by observing
that cross travel is smaller than I have on my mill-drill. I would have
to think carefully before taking that hit. An 8x36 with a 9"+ cross
travel might be worth a look, especially if I can reasonably expect to
be able to rig it myself. If I move a long distance, then
selling/re-buying or trucking are the obvious options. But I have
always slightly cheated the costs of local moves with some elbow grease.
If I give up that option with machines, I want to understand it up
front. Also, I can't help but think that a machine might be better off
being broken down and moved in pieces by its owner vs. being moved by
people who might not have our respect for iron.

Does that help?

Bill