N Cook

Default Moving magnet / Moving coil cartridges

I've been asked by someone, quoted funny money for a
replacement B&O cartridge, to sort out something cheaper.
Looking in a number of Bang & Olufsen Beogram manuals they
never seem to specify whether MM or MC.
Due to small physical size and their stock numbers always seem
to be MMC.... i assume Moving Magnet Cartridge.
I am aware of MM/MC selection switches on phono section of amps
but is there a significant impedance or level or equalisation requirement
that cannot be accommodated by volume & tone controls?
Obviously a large bog standard moving coil cartridge will look
ugly, which he is aware, and I'll have to mount it on the tone-arm above and
set
back from the end of the B&O arm and add counter-balancing
weight at other end. But will it function well enough for
music non-purist ? Any ideas on fairing/ masking so as
to disguise the bulky and bodged appearance. ?

Diverse Devices, Southampton, England
http://home.graffiti.net/diverse

NSM

"N Cook" wrote in message
I've been asked by someone, quoted funny money for a
replacement B&O cartridge, to sort out something cheaper.
Looking in a number of Bang & Olufsen Beogram manuals they
never seem to specify whether MM or MC.

Why would you care? I haven't ever seen a MC cart IIRC.

Due to small physical size and their stock numbers always seem
to be MMC.... I assume Moving Magnet Cartridge.
I am aware of MM/MC selection switches on phono section of amps
but is there a significant impedance or level or equalisation requirement
that cannot be accommodated by volume & tone controls?

None I can imagine.

Obviously a large bog standard moving coil cartridge will look
ugly, which he is aware, and I'll have to mount it on the tone-arm above

and
set
back from the end of the B&O arm and add counter-balancing
weight at other end. But will it function well enough for
music non-purist ? Any ideas on fairing/ masking so as
to disguise the bulky and bodged appearance. ?

God's teeth don't do that. He needs to bite the bullet and buy the real
thing - look on eBay, maybe he'll get lucky.

Ignition coil Backlash Metalworking 16 December 7th 04 04:40 AM
Coil Nailers - Nail Compatibility Robert Thompson Home Repair 0 October 12th 04 06:52 PM
Rewinding pc coil for 9-1270 Zenith boards ?? anyone know inductance? 9-1270-02 9-1270-3 mod# SR3587DT Dave Moore Electronics Repair 3 September 5th 03 12:25 AM
so he has a point Gunner Metalworking 91 August 25th 03 12:40 PM