Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Moving machines

Have a slant bed towing truck there at the same time.
Have the semi hand fork it over to the waiting truck. Then
the wrecker truck ties it down and moves to the place where
it tilts and lowers it down with the winch.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Bill Schwab wrote:
Hello all,

Is is just me, or does the metalworking industry seem deaf to hobbyists
and other home-shop customers? Put another way, what is the correct
approach to getting a machine off a truck in one piece. I am by no
means fixed on the Enco lathe, but I asked them about shipping, and have
gotten mixed signals about a lift gate. I can understand "it's too
heavy for that" but it seems strange to me that companies that sell
heavy items do such a poor job of giving consistent answers to customers.

I have an engine hoist and an F-150 that would be able to cope with
safely getting a 1000 lb lathe down my sloping driveway, but going from
flat bed to the ground is another story. Control over shipping was a
big factor in choosing Rutland for my mill-drill, though I will admit
the process was not free of surprises. It worked out well, but proved I
was right to have respect for the weight of what was arriving.

How do YOU handle a ton or so slathered on cosmoline sitting on a truck
outside your home? Do I need to buy a fork lift to be one of the guys?
There are manual stackers that have suitable capacity, but they
appear to be a lot more expensive than the 500-700 lb variety I have
been considering for general use.

Bill