Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab Bill Schwab is offline

Default Moving machines

Pete, all,

As usual, you guys are great, and I will tear into the entire thread
tomorrow.

If it's a 1,000# lathe, I don't see how any trucking company would have
a lift gate that it was too heavy for. I don't think I've seen a lift
gate under 2,500# capacity.

Interesting. Enco's web site said 2000 lb was the cutoff, which got me
reconsidering the 8x36 mill (sorry to jump around between lathe and a
future mill - I'm trying to figure out how to do this "safe and smart").
I expected no contest to a lift gate for the lathe, but got precisely
that. I will try again though, as I recognized the voice as being
associated with what a friend of mine calls "a thousand points of no".

I took a few minutes to call about rentals. Got a really friendly guy
who says my best fork lift option would be to let him deliver it (damn
thing weighs 10k lb!), one day for just under $400, just under $500 for
two days. From the sound of it, one day should work as long as I know
the machine is arriving that day. Anyway, that's got to be overkill for
a 1000 lb lathe, but perhaps reasonable for a mill. Though at one point
I had a local moving company that would receive and redeliver for around
$500 IIRC. Probably a winner for a mill, at least so far.

More to come. Thanks again!

Bill