Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab Bill Schwab is offline

Default Moving machines

Rob,

Iggy and I along with a few friends used a Bobcat with forks on it to get a
Bridgeport mill off of his trailer and into my garage. Now, a few of us had
to sit on the end of the Bobcat as it was lifting the rear wheels off the
ground. There is no easy answer. A gantry is ideal but how many of us have
on in the shop? I wish I had one. An engine hoist would have bent in half if
we tried that one.... The price of having cool tools I guess.... I won't
move any time soon simply due to the size of some of the gear and tool boxes
in my shop. To move all the shop stuff a Rigging company was 10K and that
was from NC to Chicago just to drop it in place.... I guess I need a
printing press for cash next! I feel your pain Bill. That's just how it is.

It's not pain so much as I want to be very sure I understand what I am
doing. The lathe might simply cause me to buy a beefier work positioner
than I had in mind. I found an 800 lb capacity unit that looked
attractive, but bigger might be better. Note that I am not thinking of
it just for the lathe - I have other uses, but still have time to size
it accordingly.

What about the basic approach shown he

http://www.benchtest.com/w-grizz.html

Would that reduce a larger mill into pickup truck sized pieces? People
have reported doing it, I just don't know how crazy it is. I am
thinking local moves only. Aside from all of the work involved, tipping
the base could be ugly (to put it in the bed). I saw a picture of just
that having been done, but can't find it again. Just asking

Bill