Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Moving heavy machines

I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that rigger
wrote on Wed, 29 Oct 2008 09:17:09 -0700 (PDT) in
rec.crafts.metalworking :
On Oct 28, 10:10*pm, Bruce L. Bergman
wrote:
On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 19:32:21 -0600, F. George McDuffee

wrote:
On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 15:58:57 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:
The big boys use compressed air pallets. They are amazing to watch move very
heavy machines around a warehouse on these things. It does take a reasonable
smooth flat concrete floor, but they move by fingertip pressure only. If I
ever move again, I will make an air pallet for every machine and permanently
mount the machines to the pallets.
Steve

Sometimes stopping them is a bit problematic if *you get them moving
too fast.....

Try cutting off the compressed air.....

* Well, turning off the air to the pallet will stop the BOTTOM of the
machine being moved real fast. *However, the message won't get to the
TOP of the machine being moved for quite some time...

* Wonderful things like Center of Mass and Inertia take over...

* "Tim-berrr!" *Cause anything even remotely tall and tippy is going
over, and you don't want to be between it and the floor.

* * * -- Bruce --

No Bridgeport, or any other reasonably stable machine (no
OBI presses, etc.) will build up enough momentum to cause
a problem. Unless you're moving downhill of course.

Momentum is momentum. Speed is only one component, mass is the
other. And when you have a lot of mass, little slopes suddenly become
Huge Downgrades. Or upgrades for that matter. I think I did
permanent damage trying to move material from one bay to another. It
was only about a three inch rise, but when you're pushing two tons 'by
hand', that becomes a mighty tall hill.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
"I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed