Scott Moore

Default Heavy moving with a DRW pickup ?

I am buying a new pickup. There is only about $300 difference between the SRW
(single rear wheel) and DRW (dual rear wheel) versions of the F350 I am
looking at.

Lots of people in my neighborhood drive DRWs for the apparent hell of it.
I seriously doubt many need it at all.

However, I typically pay $200 in truck rental costs to move my heavy stuff
(at up to 2 tons). I am wondering if having the DRW is worth it, and if anyone
here has tried to move a serious weight machine with a DRW pickup.

Personally, I would not try to move a machine with a SRW, the idea of having
a flat carrying weight at 60mph is too scary.

Thanks !

--
Samiam is Scott A. Moore

Personal web site: http:/www.moorecad.com/scott
My electronics engineering consulting site: http://www.moorecad.com
ISO 7185 Standard Pascal web site: http://www.moorecad.com/standardpascal
Classic Basic Games web site: http://www.moorecad.com/classicbasic
The IP Pascal web site, a high performance, highly portable ISO 7185 Pascal
compiler system: http://www.moorecad.com/ippas

Good does not always win. But good is more patient.
Bob Paulin

Scott Moore wrote in article
9N8Ad.815854$8_6.720009@attbi_s04...
I am buying a new pickup. There is only about $300 difference between the

SRW
(single rear wheel) and DRW (dual rear wheel) versions of the F350 I am
looking at.

Lots of people in my neighborhood drive DRWs for the apparent hell of it.
I seriously doubt many need it at all.

However, I typically pay $200 in truck rental costs to move my heavy

stuff
(at up to 2 tons). I am wondering if having the DRW is worth it, and if

anyone
here has tried to move a serious weight machine with a DRW pickup.

Personally, I would not try to move a machine with a SRW, the idea of

having
a flat carrying weight at 60mph is too scary.

Thanks !

--
Samiam is Scott A. Moore

Your friendly Ford salesman ought to be able to look in the F-350 brochure
and tell you - in numbers - the exact difference in load capacity between
the single rear wheels and the duals.

It is my personal experience that a " one-ton dually" seems to haul a fully
laden race car trailer - 3000 pound race car plus spares and amenities for
a weekend's worth of oval-track racing - better than a near-equally-rated,
"one-ton single axle" pickup.

--
Bob Paulin - R.A.C.E.
Race Car Chassis Analysis & Setup Services

Ecnerwal

Scott Moore wrote:

I am buying a new pickup. There is only about $300 difference between the SRW
(single rear wheel) and DRW (dual rear wheel) versions of the F350 I am
looking at.

Check the numbers - GVWR, individual axle ratings (GAWR), combined tow
ratings. Some "duallys" appear to be built with dual tires, and not much
else. I've got a 4x4 1-ton with a 6000 lb rated rear axle - and single
tires. I had it in at the shop one day and my mechanic wanted to check
the load sticker, as he'd bought a dually to tow his horse trailer, and
then found that it had something like a 4000 lb rear axle on it.

Personally, I don't like duallys as I'm not at all comfortable about
having the butt of the truck sticking out wider, and I'm concerned that
I might fail to compensate for that and clip something with the fat
butt. Your driving may vary. It can also affect your registration and
insurance options (4 wheels can be personal/passenger, while 6 wheels
must be commercial, some places).

In any case, I think a pickup truck bed is a bit high off the ground for
most machinery moving - a low-bed trailer would be a lot better for DIY
moving. Riggers come with much more than just a truck that will do the
job.

RegB

I have a 1 ton Chevvy that I bought as a chassis/cab, I then had an
alumin flat put on it.
I don't remember by how much, but the track on the GM is narrower than
the Dodge or Ford, which lessens the issue of wide butt. Steel flats
are around $800 here and when there are upfit allowances you can get
ALL that back from the manufacturers.
I really LIKE the flat, for me it is MUCH better than having to deal
with the narrow bed between wheel arches, etc. Sure its higher, but I
can load/unload from the sides.
On tolls (in New England) I pay the 3 axle rate, so that adds 50c on
the RARE occasion that I go through a toll gate. In Mass I was able
to register it at car rates, though it seems there is a difference ofo
pinion between (some of) the local police and the state registry on
this (-: I think the key is whether you're using it for commercial
purposes.

carl mciver

There's two kinds of loads you're talking about here. Not a usual user
of the capacity of my 1 ton truck, but there's the capacity your truck
itself can support in the bed itself, which is the GVWR. Then there's the
load that it can carry in a trailer. Actually, if it's rated for a 10,000#
trailer (that's five tons!) that means it has to be able to STOP itself and
the trailer in a reasonable amount of time and space. How well it gets up
to 60mph is another story. My F350 4x4 automatic has a mere 351 in it, and
it takes awhile to get up to speed fully loaded, but it stops just as well
as the thirstier ones. My old F250 camper special with a 360 four speed
that I prefer to tow with because while the trailer rating isn't as high, it
has awesome brakes (the rears are the same size as the F350, and the fronts
just about the same) and a granny gear I'm getting better at not grinding.
Bit of a tradeoff, though; the F250 is a serious gas hog!

"Scott Moore" wrote in message
| I am buying a new pickup. There is only about $300 difference between the
SRW
| (single rear wheel) and DRW (dual rear wheel) versions of the F350 I am
| looking at.
|
| Lots of people in my neighborhood drive DRWs for the apparent hell of it.
| I seriously doubt many need it at all.
|
| However, I typically pay $200 in truck rental costs to move my heavy stuff
| (at up to 2 tons). I am wondering if having the DRW is worth it, and if
anyone
| here has tried to move a serious weight machine with a DRW pickup.
|
| Personally, I would not try to move a machine with a SRW, the idea of
having
| a flat carrying weight at 60mph is too scary.
|
| Thanks !
|
| --
| Samiam is Scott A. Moore
|
| Personal web site: http:/www.moorecad.com/scott
| My electronics engineering consulting site: http://www.moorecad.com
| ISO 7185 Standard Pascal web site: http://www.moorecad.com/standardpascal
| Classic Basic Games web site: http://www.moorecad.com/classicbasic
| The IP Pascal web site, a high performance, highly portable ISO 7185
Pascal
| compiler system: http://www.moorecad.com/ippas
|
| Good does not always win. But good is more patient.

bigiron

When purchasing an f350 to haul a very large 5th wheel, I asked around
and found that most people say dualies will pull better and keep the
weight under control better. I can say that this truck does drive very
nice with the weight, but better than SRW? I dunno.

The only down side to having dualies in my oppinion is when buying
tires, thats two more tires I have to buy.

Scott

Footy

You don't get much of an increase in load capacity with a dualie. What you
do get is a little better stability from the wider rear track.

No one ton pickup is rated to carry 2 tons. That said, I have carried 3000
lbs of steel plate in my 3/4 ton Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4. The frame was just
hitting the overload springs. The net effect in driving it was it rode
more like a car than a truck. Loading was no problem because the load was
on pallets and forklifts were available at both ends.

It seems like GVWR ratings are chosen for liability reasons by the
manufacturers. Check out the ratings of the individual components on some
pickups and you will be surprised at what they will support.