carl mciver

There's two kinds of loads you're talking about here. Not a usual user
of the capacity of my 1 ton truck, but there's the capacity your truck
itself can support in the bed itself, which is the GVWR. Then there's the
load that it can carry in a trailer. Actually, if it's rated for a 10,000#
trailer (that's five tons!) that means it has to be able to STOP itself and
the trailer in a reasonable amount of time and space. How well it gets up
to 60mph is another story. My F350 4x4 automatic has a mere 351 in it, and
it takes awhile to get up to speed fully loaded, but it stops just as well
as the thirstier ones. My old F250 camper special with a 360 four speed
that I prefer to tow with because while the trailer rating isn't as high, it
has awesome brakes (the rears are the same size as the F350, and the fronts
just about the same) and a granny gear I'm getting better at not grinding.
Bit of a tradeoff, though; the F250 is a serious gas hog!

"Scott Moore" wrote in message
| I am buying a new pickup. There is only about $300 difference between the
SRW
| (single rear wheel) and DRW (dual rear wheel) versions of the F350 I am
| looking at.
|
| Lots of people in my neighborhood drive DRWs for the apparent hell of it.
| I seriously doubt many need it at all.
|
| However, I typically pay $200 in truck rental costs to move my heavy stuff
| (at up to 2 tons). I am wondering if having the DRW is worth it, and if
anyone
| here has tried to move a serious weight machine with a DRW pickup.
|
| Personally, I would not try to move a machine with a SRW, the idea of
having
| a flat carrying weight at 60mph is too scary.
|
| Thanks !
|
| --
| Samiam is Scott A. Moore
|
| Personal web site: http:/www.moorecad.com/scott
| My electronics engineering consulting site: http://www.moorecad.com
| ISO 7185 Standard Pascal web site: http://www.moorecad.com/standardpascal
| Classic Basic Games web site: http://www.moorecad.com/classicbasic
| The IP Pascal web site, a high performance, highly portable ISO 7185
Pascal