Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default electric stun fish

I seem to remember a guy getting in trouble for fishin' crappie with
electricity...

I've got a large koi pond that has way too may fish. Many of them are not
desirable color. (Offspring tend to revert back toward a carp like fish)

I'd like to net out as many as I can and then kill off the rest before I
restock. Can it be done with electricity? How? other ideas?

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
ews.com...
I seem to remember a guy getting in trouble for fishin' crappie with
electricity...

I've got a large koi pond that has way too may fish. Many of them are not
desirable color. (Offspring tend to revert back toward a carp like fish)

I'd like to net out as many as I can and then kill off the rest before I
restock. Can it be done with electricity? How? other ideas?

Karl

Be careful, dangerous stuff electric fishing. "100–600 V (pulsed DC
selectable in 100 V steps)"
http://www.niwa.cri.nz/rc/instrumentsystems/efish

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Be careful, dangerous stuff electric fishing. "100–600 V (pulsed DC
selectable in 100 V steps)"
http://www.niwa.cri.nz/rc/instrumentsystems/efish

I'm not even going to ask their price. I can see its too expensive. Anybody
know how to make one of these?

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article s.com,
"Karl Townsend" wrote:

Be careful, dangerous stuff electric fishing. "100–600 V (pulsed DC
selectable in 100 V steps)"
http://www.niwa.cri.nz/rc/instrumentsystems/efish

I'm not even going to ask their price. I can see its too expensive. Anybody
know how to make one of these?

The classic fish shocker was a hand-cranked telephone ring generator.
Puts out ~100 volts at ~20Hz when cranked. They were a very common
military surplus item, having been used for field phones. I recall
seeing one advertised in the last year, although I was not looking.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

I seem to remember a guy getting in trouble for fishin' crappie with
electricity...

I've got a large koi pond that has way too may fish. Many of them are not
desirable color. (Offspring tend to revert back toward a carp like fish)

I'd like to net out as many as I can and then kill off the rest before I
restock. Can it be done with electricity? How? other ideas?

Karl

A friend of mine in PA worked for the fish comish. for many years.
He used to go out and do fish shocking to do population studies.
They didn't kill only stun the fish but then could net and
measure etc. I helped him with some of the electrical controls
etc. Wadding a crick pulling a boat with a generator never
sounded like fun to me. :-)
...lew...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

He used to go out and do fish shocking to do population studies.
They didn't kill only stun the fish but then could net and
measure etc. I helped him with some of the electrical controls

From what I've learned so far, it looks like someplace in a range of 100 to
600 volts does the job. I see the commercial unit is pulsed DC. Apparently
the field telephone is 100 volt hi frequncy AC.

So, would plain old house 110, or 220, likely work? Also it would be easy to
step it up to 440 with a transformer. Or, if it should be DC, just add a
rectifier.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" fired this volley in
ews.com:

From what I've learned so far, it looks like someplace in a range of
100 to 600 volts does the job. I see the commercial unit is pulsed DC.
Apparently the field telephone is 100 volt hi frequncy AC.

Ideally, 90v @ 20hz. That's far from "hi frequncy AC".

We did some experimentation with various frequencies when I was diving
with SubArc in Florida in the '60s. (freshwater only) Some fish are
attracted by various frequencies up to low-audio. Some are repelled.
Almost none will voluntarily swim into stun range of a continuous signal.

Most seem best stunned by DC pulses or low-frequency AC. The range ain't
far. A fish that will be thoroughly stunned four feet from the
electrodes won't be fazed eight feet away (but will react to the shock by
going away from it). Apparently, they possess the ability to discern the
direction from which the shock is coming.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
I seem to remember a guy getting in trouble for fishin' crappie with
electricity...

I've got a large koi pond that has way too may fish. Many of them are not
desirable color. (Offspring tend to revert back toward a carp like fish)

I'd like to net out as many as I can and then kill off the rest before I
restock. Can it be done with electricity? How? other ideas?

Karl

I thnk the DNR uses some kind of poison to kill off ponds etc. for
restocking. It obviously "goes away" soon after the fish are dead.
RR

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Roetnone.
http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC1713.htm
http://news.dnr.state.mn.us/index.ph...-mid-november/

Randy Replogle wrote:
Karl Townsend wrote:
I seem to remember a guy getting in trouble for fishin' crappie with
electricity...

I've got a large koi pond that has way too may fish. Many of them are not
desirable color. (Offspring tend to revert back toward a carp like fish)

I'd like to net out as many as I can and then kill off the rest before I
restock. Can it be done with electricity? How? other ideas?

Karl

I thnk the DNR uses some kind of poison to kill off ponds etc. for
restocking. It obviously "goes away" soon after the fish are dead.
RR

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
In article s.com,
"Karl Townsend" wrote:

Be careful, dangerous stuff electric fishing. "100-600 V (pulsed DC
selectable in 100 V steps)"
http://www.niwa.cri.nz/rc/instrumentsystems/efish

I'm not even going to ask their price. I can see its too expensive.
Anybody
know how to make one of these?

The classic fish shocker was a hand-cranked telephone ring generator.
Puts out ~100 volts at ~20Hz when cranked. They were a very common
military surplus item, having been used for field phones. I recall
seeing one advertised in the last year, although I was not looking.

Joe Gwinn

Talking of mil-surplus, my father and his fellow squaddies in the UK Royal
Engineers used to fish in Ireland during WW2 using gun-cotton. He was there
looking after the mustard gas (which of course we didn't have), he also
trained special forces in demolition. Apparently, a standard slab of
gun-cotton (about the size of a paperback book) left hanging in the flue of
the stoves used in the army huts was the usual way of showing one's
displeasure with the occupants.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Roetnone.
http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC1713.htm

Sounded good till i read 1 -3 weeks before restock.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
ews.com...

Roetnone.
http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC1713.htm

Sounded good till i read 1 -3 weeks before restock.

Karl

Well, you may still want to keep it in mind. You'll do well to get some
homemade electric shock system together and working right in less time.

They use electric shock around here for counting fish. My impression is that
it's kind of a big ordeal. I saw them use it once on the Millstone River and
it was not a simple setup. Of course, they were doing something a little
different.

Anyway, good luck.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
ews.com...

Roetnone.
http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC1713.htm

Sounded good till i read 1 -3 weeks before restock.

Karl

How long would it take for Clorox to go away?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
He used to go out and do fish shocking to do population studies.
They didn't kill only stun the fish but then could net and
measure etc. I helped him with some of the electrical controls

From what I've learned so far, it looks like someplace in a range of 100 to
600 volts does the job. I see the commercial unit is pulsed DC. Apparently
the field telephone is 100 volt hi frequncy AC.

So, would plain old house 110, or 220, likely work? Also it would be easy to
step it up to 440 with a transformer. Or, if it should be DC, just add a
rectifier.

Karl

If you want me to try and contact him and get the particulars I'll
see if I can. Dont have an e-mail for him right now but could try
a phone call. I don't comunicate well on a phone. (hearing is bad)
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 26 May 2008 06:31:08 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

I seem to remember a guy getting in trouble for fishin' crappie with
electricity...

I've got a large koi pond that has way too may fish. Many of them are not
desirable color. (Offspring tend to revert back toward a carp like fish)

I'd like to net out as many as I can and then kill off the rest before I
restock. Can it be done with electricity? How? other ideas?

Karl

I'm surprised a big apple grower like you ain't thinking of the tax
angle.

Have a fishing tournament for scout troops or special needs kids and
take a tax deduct.

--Andy Asberry--
------Texas-----

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 26 May 2008 10:07:46 -0500, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

Be careful, dangerous stuff electric fishing. "100–600 V (pulsed DC
selectable in 100 V steps)"
http://www.niwa.cri.nz/rc/instrumentsystems/efish

I'm not even going to ask their price. I can see its too expensive. Anybody
know how to make one of these?

Karl

Think I could contrive one, don't think I will.

You might try a plasma cutter. They put out about 180 OCV.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If you want me to try and contact him and get the particulars I'll
see if I can. Dont have an e-mail for him right now but could try
a phone call. I don't comunicate well on a phone. (hearing is bad)
...lew...

Oh MAN. I'm in the same boat on the hearing thing. Gettin' old ain't for
pussies. If you get a hold of him, let me know. Don't sweat it, I'm a metal
mangler, not a EE. probably couldn't build what he described.

I touched 440, ONCE. I'm going to give the fish that. If that don't work,
I'll try the rotenone pesticide.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You might try a plasma cutter. They put out about 180 OCV.

I LIKE THAT. I don't have a plasma. I'm telling Julie, "Don said I got to
have a plasma to clean up the fish pond for you". It would work, but I just
got a HUGE milling machine. Conversation around the table is now focused on
what would be the best new flooring for the kitchen. I know better than to
start talk about my next toy before this is done.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...

If you want me to try and contact him and get the particulars I'll
see if I can. Dont have an e-mail for him right now but could try
a phone call. I don't comunicate well on a phone. (hearing is bad)
...lew...

Oh MAN. I'm in the same boat on the hearing thing. Gettin' old ain't for
pussies. If you get a hold of him, let me know. Don't sweat it, I'm a
metal mangler, not a EE. probably couldn't build what he described.

I touched 440, ONCE. I'm going to give the fish that. If that don't work,
I'll try the rotenone pesticide.

Karl

Oil of cloves may be useful - an might not contaminate your pond for as long
as the pesticide. Your post got me interested and google gave me back the
link below:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-...ize-a-fish.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
If you want me to try and contact him and get the particulars I'll
see if I can. Dont have an e-mail for him right now but could try
a phone call. I don't comunicate well on a phone. (hearing is bad)
...lew...

Oh MAN. I'm in the same boat on the hearing thing. Gettin' old ain't for
pussies. If you get a hold of him, let me know. Don't sweat it, I'm a metal
mangler, not a EE. probably couldn't build what he described.

I touched 440, ONCE. I'm going to give the fish that. If that don't work,
I'll try the rotenone pesticide.

Karl

You might try asking the Fish and Wildlife types, or perhaps the state
agronomists what works to stun or clear out a fish pond.
Hmm. Book says rotenone, or quicklime.

IIRC, rotenone interferes with the fishes ability to get oxygen from
the water, and Koi, being carp, are pretty good at breathing air if they
have to. Worst case is it drives them all to the surface, where they are
easier to net.

Also, if the drainage goes into any natural watershed, there could be
expensive consequences.
Maybe not an issue.

Done some reading on fish farming, as a result of having a 15 acre
pond that we built on the farm, and there was a lot said about
harvesting carp of various types. IIRC, mostly, they would herd them to
one end of the pond and net them, or draw down the water levels, and do
same.

Went and dug out the book. The Freshwater Aquaculture Book, by William
McLarney.
Good book, easy to read writing style, and LOTS of information.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:

I seem to remember a guy getting in trouble for fishin' crappie with
electricity...

I've got a large koi pond that has way too may fish. Many of them are not
desirable color. (Offspring tend to revert back toward a carp like fish)

I'd like to net out as many as I can and then kill off the rest before I
restock. Can it be done with electricity? How? other ideas?

Karl

This may be a dumb question and eliminate the fun of building a fish
stun gun, but wouldn't it be simpler, easier and more desirable to
mostly drain the pond, sweep the flopping fish to one low spot with a
broom and then sort out the keepers? You should probably be restarting
with a sizable water change anyway, and if you really wanted, you could
pump the water into a holding tank(s) for later return.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message

Karl Townsend wrote:

I seem to remember a guy getting in trouble for fishin' crappie with
electricity...

I've got a large koi pond that has way too may fish. Many of them are not
desirable color. (Offspring tend to revert back toward a carp like fish)

I'd like to net out as many as I can and then kill off the rest before I
restock. Can it be done with electricity? How? other ideas?

Karl

This may be a dumb question and eliminate the fun of building a fish
stun gun, but wouldn't it be simpler, easier and more desirable to
mostly drain the pond, sweep the flopping fish to one low spot with a
broom and then sort out the keepers? You should probably be restarting
with a sizable water change anyway, and if you really wanted, you could
pump the water into a holding tank(s) for later return.

I should pint out that very little rotenone will kill an entire stream. It
has happened a few times in British Columbia.The stuff is just a the ground
up leaves of a South American plant, and is safe for humans. You don't want
to have the stuff getting into fresh water streams.

Steve R.
--
Reply address munged to bugger up spammers

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
* * is offline

Default Smells like a Darwin, NOT broiled fish.

Karl Townsend wrote in article
s.com...
Be careful, dangerous stuff electric fishing. "100–600 V (pulsed DC
selectable in 100 V steps)"
http://www.niwa.cri.nz/rc/instrumentsystems/efish

I'm not even going to ask their price. I can see its too expensive.

Anybody
know how to make one of these?

Karl

Let's see......

Water.....

Electricity......

And a home-made device to energize the water with the
electricity............

I didn't realize it was Darwin Awards time already......

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"*" wrote in message

Karl Townsend wrote in article
s.com...
Be careful, dangerous stuff electric fishing. "100-600 V (pulsed DC
selectable in 100 V steps)"
http://www.niwa.cri.nz/rc/instrumentsystems/efish

I'm not even going to ask their price. I can see its too expensive.

Anybody
know how to make one of these?

Karl

Let's see......

Water.....

Electricity......

And a home-made device to energize the water with the
electricity............

I didn't realize it was Darwin Awards time already......

AND...an aluminum boat...only kidding...I hope

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 28, 10:04 am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"*" wrote in message

Let's see......

Water.....

Electricity......

And a home-made device to energize the water with the
electricity............

I didn't realize it was Darwin Awards time already......

AND...an aluminum boat...only kidding...I hope

--
Ed Huntress

Ed is it not the boat being at Neutral potential (anode), and the
insulated pole with a leader wire hanging down (cathode), that "zaps"
the water?
ignator

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"*" wrote in message

Let's see......

Water.....

Electricity......

And a home-made device to energize the water with the
electricity............

I didn't realize it was Darwin Awards time already......

AND...an aluminum boat...only kidding...I hope

--
Ed Huntress

Ed is it not the boat being at Neutral potential (anode), and the
insulated pole with a leader wire hanging down (cathode), that "zaps"
the water?
ignator

'Ya got me.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.niwa.cri.nz/rc/instrumentsystems/efish

I'm not even going to ask their price. I can see its too expensive. Anybody
know how to make one of these?

Karl

How 'bout the transformer for igniting an oil furnace??? I dunno,
110v input probably 'bout 12,000 out??? Electrode on each side of the
pond.....
Ken.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Ken Sterling wrote:

http://www.niwa.cri.nz/rc/instrumentsystems/efish

I'm not even going to ask their price. I can see its too expensive. Anybody
know how to make one of these?

Karl

How 'bout the transformer for igniting an oil furnace??? I dunno,
110v input probably 'bout 12,000 out??? Electrode on each side of the
pond.....
Ken.

How about an ignition coil from a car? Cheap and will work with 12 vdc.
Just add a vibrator to the input or do it manually

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote:

[...]

Seeing as how the guncotton would not explode, but would 'burn
quickly' (deflagration), I have to assume something about its
decomposition must have been dramatic, else it would go unnoticed.

Lotsa flames? Lotsa sparks? maybe a stiong pulse of gas that would
blow the stove contents out the front of the stove?

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"nick hull" wrote in message
In article ,
Ken Sterling wrote:

http://www.niwa.cri.nz/rc/instrumentsystems/efish

I'm not even going to ask their price. I can see its too expensive.
Anybody
know how to make one of these?

Karl

How 'bout the transformer for igniting an oil furnace??? I dunno,
110v input probably 'bout 12,000 out??? Electrode on each side of the
pond.....
Ken.

How about an ignition coil from a car? Cheap and will work with 12 vdc.
Just add a vibrator to the input or do it manually

How about if you just take two aluminum boats, clamp a long jumper cable to
each one, and run a long extension cord to a 440 V transformer?

You'd need rubber floor mat and seat cushion for each boat, of course. And a
couple of wooden oars to make sure the boats don't touch. You might want to
check the fillings in your teeth, too, to make sure you don't still have
some old silver ones in there...and be sure your life insurance benefits
still are assigned to the right person...

d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"nick hull" wrote in message
In article ,
Ken Sterling wrote:

[...]

G Hint of sarcasism noted.....
Ken.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ken Sterling" wrote in message

How about if you just take two aluminum boats, clamp a long jumper cable
each one, and run a long extension cord to a 440 V transformer?

You'd need rubber floor mat and seat cushion for each boat, of course. And
couple of wooden oars to make sure the boats don't touch. You might want
check the fillings in your teeth, too, to make sure you don't still have
some old silver ones in there...and be sure your life insurance benefits
still are assigned to the right person...

d8-)

G Hint of sarcasism noted.....
Ken.

I sure don't want to spoil anyone's fun, Ken, but I want to know where your
pond is, so there's no chance I ever go near it by mistake...

The electrical ideas we've seen here really give me the willies. And just
think, if you'd just dumped in some rotenone when this thread started, you'd
be halfway to restocking by now.

There are reasons that fish and game departments all over the country use
the stuff for killing off the fish in ponds. It's safe, it's easy, and it
works. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ken Sterling" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Chuckle.... at least nobody suggested jumper cables, long log chain,
pole climbing spikes and hi-tension wires.... G
Ken.

Fish Sculptures jloomis Woodworking Plans and Photos 9 October 11th 07 03:52 AM
one big aSs Fish U S Contractors Offering Service A Non-profit Home Repair 0 November 21st 06 06:30 AM
Get rid of fish smell Don Home Repair 12 November 20th 05 07:54 PM
FISH PUZZLE J T Woodworking 0 March 15th 05 05:11 AM