Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve R.[_3_] Steve R.[_3_] is offline

Default electric stun fish

"Pete C." wrote in message

Karl Townsend wrote:

I seem to remember a guy getting in trouble for fishin' crappie with
electricity...

I've got a large koi pond that has way too may fish. Many of them are not
desirable color. (Offspring tend to revert back toward a carp like fish)

I'd like to net out as many as I can and then kill off the rest before I
restock. Can it be done with electricity? How? other ideas?

Karl

This may be a dumb question and eliminate the fun of building a fish
stun gun, but wouldn't it be simpler, easier and more desirable to
mostly drain the pond, sweep the flopping fish to one low spot with a
broom and then sort out the keepers? You should probably be restarting
with a sizable water change anyway, and if you really wanted, you could
pump the water into a holding tank(s) for later return.

I should pint out that very little rotenone will kill an entire stream. It
has happened a few times in British Columbia.The stuff is just a the ground
up leaves of a South American plant, and is safe for humans. You don't want
to have the stuff getting into fresh water streams.

Steve R.
--
Reply address munged to bugger up spammers