Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones Trevor Jones is offline

Default electric stun fish

Karl Townsend wrote:
If you want me to try and contact him and get the particulars I'll
see if I can. Dont have an e-mail for him right now but could try
a phone call. I don't comunicate well on a phone. (hearing is bad)
...lew...

Oh MAN. I'm in the same boat on the hearing thing. Gettin' old ain't for
pussies. If you get a hold of him, let me know. Don't sweat it, I'm a metal
mangler, not a EE. probably couldn't build what he described.

I touched 440, ONCE. I'm going to give the fish that. If that don't work,
I'll try the rotenone pesticide.

Karl

You might try asking the Fish and Wildlife types, or perhaps the state
agronomists what works to stun or clear out a fish pond.
Hmm. Book says rotenone, or quicklime.

IIRC, rotenone interferes with the fishes ability to get oxygen from
the water, and Koi, being carp, are pretty good at breathing air if they
have to. Worst case is it drives them all to the surface, where they are
easier to net.

Also, if the drainage goes into any natural watershed, there could be
expensive consequences.
Maybe not an issue.

Done some reading on fish farming, as a result of having a 15 acre
pond that we built on the farm, and there was a lot said about
harvesting carp of various types. IIRC, mostly, they would herd them to
one end of the pond and net them, or draw down the water levels, and do
same.

Went and dug out the book. The Freshwater Aquaculture Book, by William
McLarney.
Good book, easy to read writing style, and LOTS of information.

Cheers
Trevor Jones