Don

Default Get rid of fish smell

We had a mishap with our freezer in our basement. The freezer door did not
shut one night and some of the items started to thaw out. I had some fish in
bags filled with water and the water started melting. I cleaned up the water
with bleach and water mixture but it still smells pretty bad. The freezer is
on ceramic tile, not carpet. Should I try a full strength bleach or does
anyone have a better solution? I checked under the freezer and there is not
a drip tray so I know there is not any standing water.

How bad does it smell? My wife said it smells like a bad period. gag gag
gag.........

Help me ....please!

Thanks

badgolferman

Don, 11/7/2005,9:46:42 AM, wrote:

We had a mishap with our freezer in our basement. The freezer door
did not shut one night and some of the items started to thaw out. I
had some fish in bags filled with water and the water started
melting. I cleaned up the water with bleach and water mixture but it
still smells pretty bad. The freezer is on ceramic tile, not carpet.
Should I try a full strength bleach or does anyone have a better
solution? I checked under the freezer and there is not a drip tray so
I know there is not any standing water.

How bad does it smell? My wife said it smells like a bad period. gag
gag gag.........

Help me ....please!

Thanks

Fishy smell? Even the wife doesn't like it? Douche it.

--
"The reason the pro tells you to keep your head down is so you can't
see him laughing." -- Phyllis Diller
Mark D

We had a mishap with our freezer in our basement. The freezer door did
not shut one night and some of the items started to thaw out. I had some
fish in bags filled with water and the water started melting. I cleaned
up the water with bleach and water mixture but it still smells pretty
bad. The freezer is on ceramic tile, not carpet. Should I try a full
strength bleach or does anyone have a better solution? I checked under
the freezer and there is not a drip tray so I know there is not any
standing water.
How bad does it smell? My wife said it smells like a bad period. gag gag
gag.........
Help me ....please!
Thanks

You'll need to throw a couple of boxes of Baking Soda in both the
Freezer, and in the Fridge sections, and give it time to work.
Arm+Hammer does make a special box for the Fridge, but if you can't find
them, just use the regular box, and cut the tops off. Within a few
days, to a week, the smell should be entirely gone.

You may also make a cleaning sloution with the baking soda, and wipe
down the interior to the best of your abilities. This should help.
Mark D.

Don wrote:
We had a mishap with our freezer in our basement. The freezer door did not
shut one night and some of the items started to thaw out. I had some fish in
bags filled with water and the water started melting. I cleaned up the water
with bleach and water mixture but it still smells pretty bad. The freezer is
on ceramic tile, not carpet. Should I try a full strength bleach or does
anyone have a better solution? I checked under the freezer and there is not
a drip tray so I know there is not any standing water.

How bad does it smell? My wife said it smells like a bad period. gag gag
gag.........

Help me ....please!

Thanks

Coffee grounds helps deodorize things, like baking soda does.

zxcvbob

Don wrote:

We had a mishap with our freezer in our basement. The freezer door did not
shut one night and some of the items started to thaw out. I had some fish in
bags filled with water and the water started melting. I cleaned up the water
with bleach and water mixture but it still smells pretty bad. The freezer is
on ceramic tile, not carpet. Should I try a full strength bleach or does
anyone have a better solution? I checked under the freezer and there is not
a drip tray so I know there is not any standing water.

How bad does it smell? My wife said it smells like a bad period. gag gag
gag.........

Help me ....please!

Thanks

Vinegar will neutralize the fishy smell.
Follow-up with a commercial disinfectant that contains quaternary
ammonia (the active ingredient will be something unpronouncable that
looks very much like "dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride".)

Best regards,
Bob

zxcvbob wrote:
Don wrote:

[...]

Then sprinkle with lemon and perhaps a bit of tartar sauce on the side.

BobK207

My brother in law left some fish in our vacation home freezer.

It took six months of trying weak bleach solution, baking soda, ground
coffee & activated charcoal (not all at once, but one after another)

in the end I'm not sure what worked, maybe jsut time

cheers
Bob

Carpenter

Don wrote:
We had a mishap with our freezer in our basement. The freezer door did not
shut one night and some of the items started to thaw out. I had some fish in
bags filled with water and the water started melting. I cleaned up the water
with bleach and water mixture but it still smells pretty bad. The freezer is
on ceramic tile, not carpet. Should I try a full strength bleach or does
anyone have a better solution? I checked under the freezer and there is not
a drip tray so I know there is not any standing water.

How bad does it smell? My wife said it smells like a bad period. gag gag
gag.........

That's too much info, thank you.

Help me ....please!

Vinegar, then vinegar, followed by some vinegar. Also can you remove
some of the inside paneling? Smelly stuff could hide there...

Thanks

Don wrote:
We had a mishap with our freezer in our basement. The freezer door did not
shut one night and some of the items started to thaw out. I had some fish in
bags filled with water and the water started melting. I cleaned up the water
with bleach and water mixture but it still smells pretty bad. The freezer is
on ceramic tile, not carpet. Should I try a full strength bleach or does
anyone have a better solution? I checked under the freezer and there is not
a drip tray so I know there is not any standing water.

How bad does it smell? My wife said it smells like a bad period. gag gag
gag.........

Help me ....please!

Thanks

Well, you have to work your way down stepwise. Start out by spraying
the basement with male cat urine, then after a few weeks burn a tire
downstairs. Follow that up by burning a feather pillow. That should
make the fish smell less intrusive.

buffalobill

CITRISOLV was our previous deodorizing cleaner but now we use
cherry-almond scented KIL-ODER

see grainger 3UR39
you'll want the gallon concentrate.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...7090&cc item=

MD

Try wiping it with vanilla. My folks used to do this to deodorize
freezers that were used to store fish bait in. They found out from the
guy that drove the milk truck.

MD

wkearney99

How bad does it smell? My wife said it smells like a bad period. gag gag
gag.........

One day, God went to find Adam and Eve in the garden, but found that Adam
was sitting by himself. "Where's Eve?" He asked.

"She went down to the river to wash up." replied Adam.

"Damn," said God, "Now I'll never get that smell out of the fish."

Posted to alt.home.repair
glenn P

A bad period, yes I had one of those in the late eighties - got better,
though.

Make a paste of borax, and use a toothbrush to get into every joint. If you
can get it, make a paste of 50-50 "gumption", and borax paste. You will not
suffer from bad periods after this...