Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Punched a hole in my gas tank last night

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 05:43:57 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Pete C." quickly quoth:

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 20:26:45 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Pete C." quickly quoth:

Larry Jaques wrote:
At the same time, I
heard the tree branches scraping the side of my brand new truck. After
****ting a brick and pulling forward to look at the damage, I found
that I was lucky.

Eh, you worry too much about cosmetics. When I put the first good
scratch in my (then) new truck it was a "now it's a real truck" moment.

I did that with my last truck for 17 years. Now I want PURTY for at
least a short while, if I may.

--
That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest.
-- Henry David Thoreau

Eh, I'm still driving that "real" truck some 11 years later. When I
finally get that shiny new F550 to replace it, I'll try to keep it shiny
and purty... for at least 90 days

I must admit that I'm ready to start punching holes in mine, but on
the -inside-, TYVM. I picked up another set of speakers yesterday, and
I removed the stake hole covers to insert my tiedowns.

I also need to find a good profile of extruded aluminum channel for
inside the bed. The deck rail and tiedown stuff they have is beaucoup
expensive and I don't have any firstborns to sacrifice to them.
http://www.brandsport.com/toy-pt271-34070-hw.html is cheaper than the
dealer, but that's not saying much.

Anyone seen any extrusions which might work for me? Who has a good
selection of aluminum channel profiles at dirt cheap prices?

---
Chaos, panic, and disorder--my work here is done.

Unistrut...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

You're funny.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

Since you mention only one hole, does that mean the bullet is still in the
tank? If so, I'd just leave it there.

Well, Gunner _was_ being roundly critrollicized over on misc.survivalism
for using a gun for a leather punch once.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Leo Lichtman wrote:

That sounds a lot harder than my suggestion of using a toggle bolt and
washer. Hell, I have a hard enough time starting a nut with my fingertips.

OK, I didn't see your nice suggestion first.
Still, there's several ways to kill a cat, and there might be times when
alternative ways of doing things come in handy.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner" wrote in message

Id just paid $3.19 per and filled that 20 gallon tank. I managed to
salvage about 3 gallons.

If I were at home up north, I could have saved a lot of it..but down
here in LA..Ive got no containers of any sort.

It really sucked watching that expensive sheen on the water flowing
away down the gutter....

Down the gutter? Oh no, that gutter leads to a storm drain that drains to
the LaBrea tar pits and sensitive wetland area...

--
Roger Shoaf

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 07:23:32 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Pete C." quickly quoth:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Anyone seen any extrusions which might work for me? Who has a good
selection of aluminum channel profiles at dirt cheap prices?

Unistrut...

Ah, outstanding profile. Steel, probably better than aloonimum due to
strength. I'll bet the price is half or less than 8020.

Now about price and distributors. Their cart gives me blank PHP pages
in both FF and IE7 and my blockers aren't showing me any action, so
they don't seem to be the problem. sigh

---
Chaos, panic, and disorder--my work here is done.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 05:48:45 -0800, "Roger Shoaf"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .

Id just paid $3.19 per and filled that 20 gallon tank. I managed to
salvage about 3 gallons.

If I were at home up north, I could have saved a lot of it..but down
here in LA..Ive got no containers of any sort.

It really sucked watching that expensive sheen on the water flowing
away down the gutter....

Down the gutter? Oh no, that gutter leads to a storm drain that drains to
the LaBrea tar pits and sensitive wetland area...

Oh yes, I probably caused at least 3 species to go extinct.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner wrote in
:

snip

Oh yes, I probably caused at least 3 species to go extinct.

Gunner

Only three?? You need to try harder Gunner, try for 4 next time, maybe
adding a quart or 2 of used motor oil will help

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 15:35:26 -0500, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
. ..
I hit a bit of road debris coming home from a job site last night,

snip

SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL magic stuff!!!

Not for a 1/4" hole. Get a toggle bolt and a fender washer, and a
THICK neoprene washer. Shape the fender washer to fit the form of the
tank. Might want to slop some Permatex Aircraft (no n hardening)
gasket sealer onto both sides of the neoprene washer before
tightening. I believe it is now loctite #30516.
Or use TiteSeal (T25-66)

Of course not for a big hole like that but as a sealer for whatever patch or
plug used.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

I learned how to tie a shop rag on my arm below the elbow to keep the
gasoline out of my arm pit that day. That smarts, if you haven't had
the blessed luck to get gas in your pits yet.

Stop shaving and they won't be so sensitive.
Randy
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 07:07:19 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner quickly quoth:

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 05:48:45 -0800, "Roger Shoaf"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
. ..

Id just paid $3.19 per and filled that 20 gallon tank. I managed to
salvage about 3 gallons.

If I were at home up north, I could have saved a lot of it..but down
here in LA..Ive got no containers of any sort.

It really sucked watching that expensive sheen on the water flowing
away down the gutter....

Down the gutter? Oh no, that gutter leads to a storm drain that drains to
the LaBrea tar pits and sensitive wetland area...

Oh yes, I probably caused at least 3 species to go extinct.

Which minor, useless species? Druggies, thieves, and liberals?

Pat Sajak has some things to say about anthropomorphic GW(kumbaya).
http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=24333
Do it for the kids!

---
Chaos, panic, and disorder--my work here is done.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 08:56:59 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Robert Swinney" quickly quoth:

Strap sez: ". . . . .I learned how to tie a shop rag on my arm below the elbow to keep the
gasoline out of my arm pit that day. That smarts, if you haven't had
the blessed luck to get gas in your pits yet. "

So Strap, is their a specific octane number you run best on ?

If it hits my armpit, I run around in circles screaming and flapping
my arms no matter what octane the gas is, Mr. Swiney.

---
Chaos, panic, and disorder--my work here is done.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 11:14:38 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
Randy Replogle quickly quoth:

Larry Jaques wrote:

I learned how to tie a shop rag on my arm below the elbow to keep the
gasoline out of my arm pit that day. That smarts, if you haven't had
the blessed luck to get gas in your pits yet.

Stop shaving and they won't be so sensitive.

Thilly Thavage.

---
Chaos, panic, and disorder--my work here is done.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Robert Swinney" wrote in
:

Strap sez: ". . . . .I learned how to tie a shop rag on my arm below
the elbow to keep the gasoline out of my arm pit that day. That
smarts, if you haven't had the blessed luck to get gas in your pits
yet. "

So Strap, is their a specific octane number you run best on ?

Bob Swinney

Been there done that, burns like hell. Try being 10 and deciding to siphen
out a gallon of gas from your dads truck for your minibike with a length of
hose for the first time. I knew to suck, just not when to stop Nothing
like belching gas fumes for few hours, not to mention getting in trouble
for trying to get dad's gas.

Bill
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill" wrote in message
. 97.142...
"Robert Swinney" wrote in
:

Strap sez: ". . . . .I learned how to tie a shop rag on my arm below
the elbow to keep the gasoline out of my arm pit that day. That
smarts, if you haven't had the blessed luck to get gas in your pits
yet. "

So Strap, is their a specific octane number you run best on ?

Bob Swinney

Been there done that, burns like hell. Try being 10 and deciding to
siphen
out a gallon of gas from your dads truck for your minibike with a length
of
hose for the first time. I knew to suck, just not when to stop
Nothing
like belching gas fumes for few hours, not to mention getting in trouble
for trying to get dad's gas.

Bill

I had the cap fly off the gas tank on my just filled minibike in 1972. I
still remember the burning sensation when it splashed on the family jewels.
Dang that stings.
Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 15:13:41 -0600, "Up North"
wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
.97.142...
"Robert Swinney" wrote in
:

[...]

A friend who was "too friendly with the natives" got himself a good
dose of the "crabs" back in the seventies in Africa.
He was bemoning his condition and asked for a remedy.
I told him to swab himself with parafin( not the wax, that smelly
varsol/kerosene like stuff that is used as lamp fuel abont other
things in the third world.

Next time I saw him he almost killed me - but I asked him "did it
work"? He answered yes.
"Will you be careless enough to catch then again, knowing the remedy?"
He answered "HELL NO!!!!"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hell Gunner,

At least the MythBusters proved some ****ed off guy behind you couldn't have
thrown a match in the stream you left and blown you up..:-)

--.- Dave

Sorry..it was the front tank on my 1 ton van. Steel.

Lost 20 gallon$.

Must have made it damned uncomfortable for those behind me....

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

As the "Riders in the Sky" call it...

Tool Kit In a Holster :-)

--.- Dave

"John Husvar" wrote in message
In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

You're funny.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

Since you mention only one hole, does that mean the bullet is still in
the
tank? If so, I'd just leave it there.

Well, Gunner _was_ being roundly critrollicized over on misc.survivalism
for using a gun for a leather punch once.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Anyone seen any extrusions which might work for me? Who has a good
selection of aluminum channel profiles at dirt cheap prices?

Unistrut...

Ah, outstanding profile. Steel, probably better than aloonimum due to
strength. I'll bet the price is half or less than 8020.

Now about price and distributors. Their cart gives me blank PHP pages
in both FF and IE7 and my blockers aren't showing me any action, so
they don't seem to be the problem. sigh

---
Chaos, panic, and disorder--my work here is done.

Lowe's carries it, and I think Depot does as well. Rather common these
days, unistrut, power strut, etc.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 10, 9:39*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
You're funny.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

Since you mention only one hole, does that mean the bullet is still in the
tank? If so, I'd just leave it there.

I thought so too.

I wonder if he called HAZMAT for the spill?

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 11, 7:36*am, John Husvar wrote:
In article ,
*"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

You're funny.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

Since you mention only one hole, does that mean the bullet is still in the
tank? If so, I'd just leave it there.

Well, Gunner _was_ being roundly critrollicized over on misc.survivalism
for using a gun for a leather punch once.

Not by me.

I have done it too.

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 09:23:59 -0600, Bill wrote:

Gunner wrote in
:

snip

Oh yes, I probably caused at least 3 species to go extinct.

Gunner

Only three?? You need to try harder Gunner, try for 4 next time, maybe
adding a quart or 2 of used motor oil will help

Bill

Hummm...maybe if I added some tranny fluid and that carefully horded
100lb sack of DDT....

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 14:35:25 -0600, Bill wrote:

"Robert Swinney" wrote in
:

Strap sez: ". . . . .I learned how to tie a shop rag on my arm below
the elbow to keep the gasoline out of my arm pit that day. That
smarts, if you haven't had the blessed luck to get gas in your pits
yet. "

So Strap, is their a specific octane number you run best on ?

Bob Swinney

Been there done that, burns like hell. Try being 10 and deciding to siphen
out a gallon of gas from your dads truck for your minibike with a length of
hose for the first time. I knew to suck, just not when to stop Nothing
like belching gas fumes for few hours, not to mention getting in trouble
for trying to get dad's gas.

Bill

Not as much trouble as using Moms douche bag hose to siphon gas for
the minibike, then putting it back in place with a quick rinse....

Cringe...

Gunner, blanking out a very bad memory....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 22:01:21 -0800 (PST), Too_Many_Tools
wrote:

On Jan 11, 7:36*am, John Husvar wrote:
In article ,
*"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

You're funny.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

Since you mention only one hole, does that mean the bullet is still in the
tank? If so, I'd just leave it there.

Well, Gunner _was_ being roundly critrollicized over on misc.survivalism
for using a gun for a leather punch once.

Not by me.

I have done it too.

TMT

So why the **** didnt you put your oar in the water? You left me to
deal with the fuctards all by my lonesome. Not that it was a big
deal..but geeze....

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 05:35:05 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Pete
C." quickly quoth:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Anyone seen any extrusions which might work for me? Who has a good
selection of aluminum channel profiles at dirt cheap prices?

Unistrut...

Ah, outstanding profile. Steel, probably better than aloonimum due to
strength. I'll bet the price is half or less than 8020.

Now about price and distributors. Their cart gives me blank PHP pages
in both FF and IE7 and my blockers aren't showing me any action, so
they don't seem to be the problem. sigh

Lowe's carries it, and I think Depot does as well. Rather common these
days, unistrut, power strut, etc.

I went into Grover's Electric yesterday and they carried 2' sticks of
the 7000 (low profile, 1-1/4", yellow cad plating) for $8.90 and 10'
sticks for a whopping $37.75. DAMN! That's yellow cad, not freakin'
gold plate. I'll keep looking/try the Borgs. Danke mucho, monsieur.

---
Chaos, panic, and disorder--my work here is done.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

I bought a single stick of deep Unistrut today (hate it when Im 1
short) from the local electrical supply house.

$8.97

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 03:32:19 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner quickly quoth:

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

I'll see if I can get better pricing from Platt Electrical Supply.
There's one here in GP. Searching the Borg (Blowes and Homey's
Despot) sites netted nothing. I hate their search engines with a
passion. They're as useless as WalMart's search engine.

I tried raceway, unistrut, metal strap, metal channel, channel, metal
brace, and a few others. NOGO. sigh

---
Chaos, panic, and disorder--my work here is done.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

Yes, their search engines are terrible, and Depot at least doesn't
include most non UPS shipable items online. Last time I got a 10' stick
of the low profile stuff at Lowe's I believe it was in the $10 range as
well.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 14:46:35 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Pete
C." quickly quoth:

Yes, their search engines are terrible, and Depot at least doesn't
include most non UPS shipable items online. Last time I got a 10' stick
of the low profile stuff at Lowe's I believe it was in the $10 range as
well.

$10 vs. $38? That's great news.

It's raining today so I'm not working. Maybe I'll make that HF run and
stop by the Lowes in Mudford...

---
Chaos, panic, and disorder--my work here is done.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

Home Depot and Lowes also carry it.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Jan 11, 7:36 am, John Husvar wrote:
In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

You're funny.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

Since you mention only one hole, does that mean the bullet is still in the
tank? If so, I'd just leave it there.

Well, Gunner _was_ being roundly critrollicized over on misc.survivalism
for using a gun for a leather punch once.

Not by me.

I have done it too.

TMT

So why the **** didnt you put your oar in the water? You left me to
deal with the fuctards all by my lonesome. Not that it was a big
deal..but geeze....

He doesn't have an oar. E's Oarless!!!

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Robert Swinney wrote:

A friend who was "too friendly with the natives" got himself a good
dose of the "crabs" back in the seventies in Africa.
He was bemoning his condition and asked for a remedy.
I told him to swab himself with parafin( not the wax, that smelly
varsol/kerosene like stuff that is used as lamp fuel abont other
things in the third world.

Next time I saw him he almost killed me - but I asked him "did it
work"? He answered yes.
"Will you be careless enough to catch then again, knowing the remedy?"
He answered "HELL NO!!!!"

The reccomend procedure in Alaska was to shave one side, then set the
other on fire. Then you used an iceopick to get the survivors as they
treid to escape the flames.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 07:07:19 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner quickly quoth:

Oh yes, I probably caused at least 3 species to go extinct.

Which minor, useless species? Druggies, thieves, and liberals?

Used car salesmen, lawyers and politicians?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner wrote:

Since you mention only one hole, does that mean the bullet is still in the
tank? If so, I'd just leave it there.

Nah..Ive never shot my own vehicle. Well..there was one time I was
shooting ground squirrels and I let the barrel drop a bit much while
shooting from a ridge line. that 1.5" distance between the bore and
the cross hairs did me in. Put a neat groove on the very edge of the
hood.

Gunner

I skipped a .223 slug off the hood using the hood as a rest. The
distance between the scope line of sight and the bullet path is kind of
significant 3 feet from the muzzle...

In reference to the original problem, I would not recommend
epoxy/fiberglass. I tried that on an old Dodge van that I had and it
only held for a few weeks. I finally wound up brazing a patch on it.

Good Luck,
Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In reference to the original problem, I would not recommend
epoxy/fiberglass. I tried that on an old Dodge van that I had and it only
held for a few weeks. I finally wound up brazing a patch on it.

Good Luck,
Bob

good old soft solder will be best - if you want more strength, you can screw
the patch in place and solder over the screws - two or 3 screws will be
enough

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner wrote:

Not as much trouble as using Moms douche bag hose to siphon gas for
the minibike, then putting it back in place with a quick rinse....

Cringe...

Gunner, blanking out a very bad memory....

That's the funniest thing I've heard all week......

Paul

It's a Linux world....well, it oughta be.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-01-14, Robert Swinney wrote:
"Gunner" wrote in message
news
Hummm...maybe if I added some tranny fluid and that carefully horded
100lb sack of DDT....

Naw ! That'd cause all them latent Brae-pit dino eggs to hatch.

Hmm ... you want some challenging hunting? There you are.
Something to justify that .475 A&M Magnum you have and have never been
able to find something appropriate to hunt with it. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That little pistol - just about right for the Black Forest boar they have
on the central coast! They have been running free from much for years and
were imported for game hunts by a large news paper owner...

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-01-14, Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
That little pistol - just about right for the Black Forest boar they have
on the central coast! They have been running free from much for years and
were imported for game hunts by a large news paper owner...

Pistol? That was a *rifle* wildcat, 10,000 ft-lbs muzzle energy.
The kick was said to be really punishing*. _Cartridges of the World_
(quite a few years ago -- 30+ I think) said "There is absolutely no need
for a cartridge of this power for hunting anything on this planet." :-)

* Firing two or three shots rapid fire was said to be equivalent
to going a similar number of rounds with a world heavyweight
champ. :-)

I forget what cartridge it was based on, but I don't have one
anyway. They *did* suggest that to go one better, you would need to
base it on the .50 machine gun round. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 14 Jan 2008 02:44:49 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2008-01-14, Robert Swinney wrote:
"Gunner" wrote in message
news
Hummm...maybe if I added some tranny fluid and that carefully horded
100lb sack of DDT....

Naw ! That'd cause all them latent Brae-pit dino eggs to hatch.

Hmm ... you want some challenging hunting? There you are.
Something to justify that .475 A&M Magnum you have and have never been
able to find something appropriate to hunt with it. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

Just remember...they hunt...in pairs.....

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner" wrote in message
I hit a bit of road debris coming home from a job site last night,
made a hell of a noise, and after I got home and parked, found it had
punched a hole about 1/4" in diamter in the front tank (freshly
filled) right next to a strap. Stuck a screw in..too small, stuck a
lag bolt in..too small, hammered in a wooden plug. Reduced it to a
drip.

Not a lot of fun running the garden hose to flush the gas out from
under the truck, and laying in the mess trying to get the leak
stopped, in 40F weather...

I dont want to pull this tank. Gonna be a MOFO to do.

What products are out there that will allow me to simply patch over
the top of the 1/4" stubb of wood plug sticking out? Or do I need to
pull the plug (after running the tank dry?)

Gunner

JB weld works on a clean, dry surface, but I would remove the wood plug and
replace with a metal plug. Or fill the tank with inert gas and solder/weld
it shut. You firstg.

-Carl