DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Punched a hole in my gas tank last night (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/229385-punched-hole-my-gas-tank-last-night.html)

Gunner[_2_] January 10th 08 06:51 PM

Punched a hole in my gas tank last night

I hit a bit of road debris coming home from a job site last night,
made a hell of a noise, and after I got home and parked, found it had
punched a hole about 1/4" in diamter in the front tank (freshly
filled) right next to a strap. Stuck a screw in..too small, stuck a
lag bolt in..too small, hammered in a wooden plug. Reduced it to a
drip.

Not a lot of fun running the garden hose to flush the gas out from
under the truck, and laying in the mess trying to get the leak
stopped, in 40F weather...

I dont want to pull this tank. Gonna be a MOFO to do.

What products are out there that will allow me to simply patch over
the top of the 1/4" stubb of wood plug sticking out? Or do I need to
pull the plug (after running the tank dry?)

Gunner

wws January 10th 08 07:13 PM

On Jan 10, 12:51 pm, Gunner wrote:
I hit a bit of road debris coming home from a job site last night,
made a hell of a noise, and after I got home and parked, found it had
punched a hole about 1/4" in diamter in the front tank (freshly
filled) right next to a strap. Stuck a screw in..too small, stuck a
lag bolt in..too small, hammered in a wooden plug. Reduced it to a
drip.

Not a lot of fun running the garden hose to flush the gas out from
under the truck, and laying in the mess trying to get the leak
stopped, in 40F weather...

I dont want to pull this tank. Gonna be a MOFO to do.

What products are out there that will allow me to simply patch over
the top of the 1/4" stubb of wood plug sticking out? Or do I need to
pull the plug (after running the tank dry?)

Gunner

I'd try the Permatex® epoxy stick. Probably as good as any Gunner.
Get the wood to a nub, sand the tank clean 2" or 3" dia., loosen the
gas cap.
Luck, wws.

Leo Lichtman January 10th 08 07:14 PM

Punched a hole in my gas tank last night

"Gunner" wrote: What products are out there that will allow me to simply
patch over
the top of the 1/4" stubb of wood plug sticking out? Or do I need to
pull the plug (after running the tank dry?)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You're past that point now, but for the future, I believe soap will stop a
gasoline leak.

If you can get it clean, fiberglass would be a good bet. I would run it dry
or drain it and pull the plug. Then use a punch or some other tool to
create a sort of flare with a ragged edge, so you get some mechanical
bonding. If possible, stuff some of the fiberglass into the hole. Since
you have two tanks, I would leave this one empty for a few days, to be sure
the cure is complete before it is exposed to gasoline.

I epoxied a glass window to the float chamber of a carburetor once, and it
held.

I just had another idea: Shove a toggle screw in through the hole, and use
it to hold a flat washer against the outside, with epoxy as a sealant. If
necessary, shape the washer so it is a snug fit, i.e., not tilted by the
support band. Could you loosen the support band and use it to help hold the
metal patch?

Ed Huntress January 10th 08 07:15 PM

"Gunner" wrote in message
I hit a bit of road debris coming home from a job site last night,
made a hell of a noise, and after I got home and parked, found it had
punched a hole about 1/4" in diamter in the front tank (freshly
filled) right next to a strap. Stuck a screw in..too small, stuck a
lag bolt in..too small, hammered in a wooden plug. Reduced it to a
drip.

Not a lot of fun running the garden hose to flush the gas out from
under the truck, and laying in the mess trying to get the leak
stopped, in 40F weather...

I dont want to pull this tank. Gonna be a MOFO to do.

What products are out there that will allow me to simply patch over
the top of the 1/4" stubb of wood plug sticking out? Or do I need to
pull the plug (after running the tank dry?)

Since you mention only one hole, does that mean the bullet is still in the
tank? If so, I'd just leave it there.

If it were me, I'd run the tank reasonably dry, pull the plug and drain the
rest into a can, and get out a tapered hand reamer to clean up the hole.
Then I'd get a hex-head machine screw to fit the hole. I'd run a tap in
there but use just the front part of a taper tap, or a small pipe tap if you
think you can get away with it. If you have a choice, use a thread-forming
tap to maximize the amount of thread you'll have left after making the
threads in thin metal.

Then screw in the machine screw. You want a really tight fit, of course,
because you don't have a reliable way to lock it in. As for gaskets, you can
be our test lab for things that will hold up to gasoline. g I wouldn't use
a liquid; neither epoxy nor ordinary silicones can be trusted. You might try
an O-ring made of one of the elastomers that are used for fuel-system parts.
Or, considering how much lead you have around, you might just try making a
gasket out of soft lead. That would be my first choice if the tank is thick
enough to really clamp the screw down.

Remember than an empty gas tank is a bomb waiting to go off. No sparks. No
hammers.

Good luck.

--
Ed Huntress

Ignoramus25898 January 10th 08 07:24 PM

Punched a hole in my gas tank last night

I believe that there is a kit for this sort of thing. Visit Napa or
some such store with "old guys" working there, and ask for it.

Tom Gardner January 10th 08 08:35 PM

"Gunner" wrote in message
I hit a bit of road debris coming home from a job site last night,

snip

SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL magic stuff!!!

Howard R Garner January 10th 08 09:09 PM

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Gunner" wrote in message

I hit a bit of road debris coming home from a job site last night,

Then screw in the machine screw. You want a really tight fit, of course,
because you don't have a reliable way to lock it in. As for gaskets, you can
be our test lab for things that will hold up to gasoline. g I wouldn't use
a liquid; neither epoxy nor ordinary silicones can be trusted. You might try
an O-ring made of one of the elastomers that are used for fuel-system parts.
Or, considering how much lead you have around, you might just try making a
gasket out of soft lead. That would be my first choice if the tank is thick
enough to really clamp the screw down.

Good luck.

--
Ed Huntress

Never silicon. I used silicon gasket maker and I just swells up win
contact with gasoline. The excess inside broke loose and blocked the
fuel intake.

Howard Garner

Pete C. January 10th 08 09:17 PM

Gunner wrote:

I hit a bit of road debris coming home from a job site last night,
made a hell of a noise, and after I got home and parked, found it had
punched a hole about 1/4" in diamter in the front tank (freshly
filled) right next to a strap. Stuck a screw in..too small, stuck a
lag bolt in..too small, hammered in a wooden plug. Reduced it to a
drip.

Not a lot of fun running the garden hose to flush the gas out from
under the truck, and laying in the mess trying to get the leak
stopped, in 40F weather...

I dont want to pull this tank. Gonna be a MOFO to do.

What products are out there that will allow me to simply patch over
the top of the 1/4" stubb of wood plug sticking out? Or do I need to
pull the plug (after running the tank dry?)

Gunner

Purge it with Argon before you TIG it...

whit3rd January 10th 08 09:46 PM

On Jan 10, 10:51*am, Gunner wrote:
I hit a bit of road debris coming home from a job site last night,
made a hell of a noise, and after I got home and parked, found it had
punched a hole about 1/4" in diamter in the front tank

Pump out the tank (OK, siphon it...), and put a chunk of dry ice
inside.
When the oxygen is gone and the gas fumes are condensed, and it
won't explode, clean around the hole and solder on a patch.

If you have a threaded plug, you can probably flux the threads
and solder it in place. Acid flux (like for stainless steel) and
50/50 or 60/40 solder will work best.

That "when it won't explode" step is kinda important.

Jon Elson[_2_] January 10th 08 10:13 PM

Gunner wrote:
I hit a bit of road debris coming home from a job site last night,
made a hell of a noise, and after I got home and parked, found it had
punched a hole about 1/4" in diamter in the front tank (freshly
filled) right next to a strap. Stuck a screw in..too small, stuck a
lag bolt in..too small, hammered in a wooden plug. Reduced it to a
drip.

You're lucky it was only the tank. My wife drive over a concrete median
and broke a big chunk off the transaxle main housing on our new-to-us
2000 Toyota Corolla. We got this mostly for our kids to drive, and she
was so worried about THEM having an accident, then she goes out and
pulls a REALLY brilliant move with all of them in the car!

My wife drives by the force ("Use the force, Luke!") all the time, and
has pulled some amazing stunts, like driving the driver's door into a
one-foot diameter light pole in a parking lot. I mean, a couple inches
more and it would have smashed her like a bug. That was on our previous
van. But, anyway, this one was a median on a 4-lane major street, and
there was 6" or so of snow, so you couldn't see the median. But, I'm
sure the snow was in such a way it was clear that NO ONE ELSE had made a
turn there, they all knew there was a median under the snow. Anyway, it
popped the air bags, broke the windshield, crunched the tranny and did
some minor suspension denting underneath. Of course, it was totalled
out, and we bought the wreck and are having it rebuilt. Geez, I hope
that is going to turn out to be a good decision.

Jon

Leo Lichtman January 10th 08 10:14 PM

Punched a hole in my gas tank last night

"Tom Gardner" wrote:
SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL magic stuff!!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If it takes that many coats, I'd look for something else.

Leo Lichtman January 10th 08 10:21 PM

Punched a hole in my gas tank last night

"whit3rd" wrote: (clip)That "when it won't explode" step is kinda
important.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If you're gunna solder with a heavy electric soldering iron, you're pretty
safe. If you plan to do it with a torch, be sure to warn the neighbors to
take shelter, kuz that "when it won't explode" part is hard to verify in
advance. I once blew up a Harley tank that was full of water. Well, ALMOST
full of water.

Jordan January 10th 08 11:18 PM

Gunner wrote:
it had
punched a hole about 1/4" in diamter in the front tank

If you can get access into the tank, this could work:
Get a nut, weld a length of wire (1/8" welding rod?) to it, get it over
the hole inside tank. Put a fuel-resistant rubber washer on a matching
screw, thread into hole and nut. Wire will help nut catch screw, and
prevent rotation.
Wire will yank off if only lightly attached.

Wayne Cook January 10th 08 11:20 PM

Punched a hole in my gas tank last night

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 15:30:57 -0600, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:

Where Tom stuttered and sez "SEAL-ALL. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . magic stuff!!!" Insert JB
Weld. It will cure under gasoline.

So will Seal-All.

Bob Swinney
"Tom Gardner" wrote in message

.. .

William Wixon January 11th 08 12:07 AM

"wws" wrote in message
On Jan 10, 12:51 pm, Gunner wrote:
I hit a bit of road debris coming home from a job site last night,
made a hell of a noise, and after I got home and parked, found it had
punched a hole about 1/4" in diamter in the front tank (freshly
filled) right next to a strap. Stuck a screw in..too small, stuck a
lag bolt in..too small, hammered in a wooden plug. Reduced it to a
drip.

Not a lot of fun running the garden hose to flush the gas out from
under the truck, and laying in the mess trying to get the leak
stopped, in 40F weather...

I dont want to pull this tank. Gonna be a MOFO to do.

What products are out there that will allow me to simply patch over
the top of the 1/4" stubb of wood plug sticking out? Or do I need to
pull the plug (after running the tank dry?)

Gunner

i'm surprised nobody said "is it plastic or steel?" i have an '05 Ranger
that has a polypropylene (?) polyethylene (?) gas tank. i figured, like in
a previous thread about fixing a plastic lawn mower tank, the only way to
fix polypropylene is a plastic welder.

b.w.

Leo Lichtman January 11th 08 12:30 AM

"Jordan" wrote: If you can get access into the tank, this could work:
Get a nut, weld a length of wire (1/8" welding rod?) to it, get it over
the hole inside tank. Put a fuel-resistant rubber washer on a matching
screw, thread into hole and nut. Wire will help nut catch screw, and
prevent rotation. (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That sounds a lot harder than my suggestion of using a toggle bolt and
washer. Hell, I have a hard enough time starting a nut with my fingertips.

rustyjames January 11th 08 12:33 AM

On Jan 10, 1:51*pm, Gunner wrote:
I hit a bit of road debris coming home from a job site last night,
made a hell of a noise, and after I got home and parked, found it had
punched a hole about 1/4" in diamter in the front tank (freshly
filled) right next to a strap. *Stuck a screw in..too small, stuck a
lag bolt in..too small, hammered in a wooden plug. Reduced it to a
drip.

I fixed a hole in the bottom of a tank over 25 years ago with:
http://www.pcepoxy.com/pastepoxies/pastepc7.asp

And it's still holding up.

Greg O January 11th 08 12:57 AM

Punched a hole in my gas tank last night

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"Tom Gardner" wrote:
SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL magic stuff!!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If it takes that many coats, I'd look for something else.

I found out about Seal-All many years ago, working in a service station
after high school. There was a car on the lift with a steady drip coming
from a tiny hole in the gas tank. The shop jockey wire brushed the area to
remove loose dirt and rust, squeezed a dap of Seal-All on one finger, wiped
the spot with a rag to remove the excess gasoline and held his finger with
the Seal-All on the hole for a minute. When he removed his finger, the leak
had stopped, but he put a couple more coats on the be sure. He said he had
fixed many gas tank leaks that way.
Back to Gunners deal, I wonder is the hole may be a bit large for Seal-All,
but I suppose you could glue a tin patch over the hole using the stuff.
Greg

Larry Jaques January 11th 08 01:56 AM

Punched a hole in my gas tank last night

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 16:13:40 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Jon
Elson quickly quoth:

Gunner wrote:
[...]

G'luck to both of you. To your rebuilding idea, Jon, the first thought
that came to mind was "I doubt 'er, Bill."

I was taking photos of the little dam upstream of me the other day
after a really big storm, and I had stopped on the street to take a
shot. I ended up backing up while looking at the dam instead of the
road and found that there was a curve in it. (Doh!) As I noticed the
back end starting to tilt down, I hit the brakes. At the same time, I
heard the tree branches scraping the side of my brand new truck. After
****ting a brick and pulling forward to look at the damage, I found
that I was lucky. The little sapling whose trunk was 3" outside the
asphalt was soft, pliant, and hadn't put a single dent or scratch in
the paint of my new truck bed. Whew! I almost soiled my new upholstery
at hearing that sound, too. I seem to have been the luckiest of us
three idiots.

Time to start --== paying attention ==-- again, everyone!

--
That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest.
-- Henry David Thoreau

Larry Jaques January 11th 08 02:05 AM

Punched a hole in my gas tank last night

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 17:20:28 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,
Wayne Cook quickly quoth:

wrote:

Where Tom stuttered and sez "SEAL-ALL. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . magic stuff!!!" Insert JB
Weld. It will cure under gasoline.

So will Seal-All.

I think I remember using some of that yellow and blue epoxy putty
ribbon (see links below for similar products) to seal a gas tank once.
I learned how to tie a shop rag on my arm below the elbow to keep the
gasoline out of my arm pit that day. That smarts, if you haven't had
the blessed luck to get gas in your pits yet. ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-12020.../dp/B000ALG8RS
or
http://www.doityourself.com/invt/1446764

[email protected] January 11th 08 02:07 AM

Punched a hole in my gas tank last night

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 10:51:43 -0800, Gunner
wrote:

I hit a bit of road debris coming home from a job site last night,
made a hell of a noise, and after I got home and parked, found it had
punched a hole about 1/4" in diamter in the front tank (freshly
filled) right next to a strap. Stuck a screw in..too small, stuck a
lag bolt in..too small, hammered in a wooden plug. Reduced it to a
drip.

Not a lot of fun running the garden hose to flush the gas out from
under the truck, and laying in the mess trying to get the leak
stopped, in 40F weather...

I dont want to pull this tank. Gonna be a MOFO to do.

What products are out there that will allow me to simply patch over
the top of the 1/4" stubb of wood plug sticking out? Or do I need to
pull the plug (after running the tank dry?)

Gunner

Drain the tank. Park truck on an angle is you must, to get the tank
as dry as you can. Save gas in a clean container, at $3 a gallon.
Now, dry the spot and use a fine emory cloth to get it to bare metal.
Get a lag bolt or even a regular bolt 3/8 Inch of hole is 1/4". Get a
short bolt, or cut it off. You dont want bolt to interfere with float
or pump inside. Next, take some JB Weld and glue that bolt around th
threads and screw it in. Cover the head and sides of the bolt with
JB. I'd use the quick dry JB so it dont drip off. Allow it to dry
completely for 24 hours. You're fixed.

If you got a plastic tank, ignore this. I dont know what to use....

clare at snyder.on.ca January 11th 08 02:24 AM

Punched a hole in my gas tank last night

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 15:35:26 -0500, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
I hit a bit of road debris coming home from a job site last night,

snip

SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL
SEAL-ALL magic stuff!!!

Not for a 1/4" hole. Get a toggle bolt and a fender washer, and a
THICK neoprene washer. Shape the fender washer to fit the form of the
tank. Might want to slop some Permatex Aircraft (no n hardening)
gasket sealer onto both sides of the neoprene washer before
tightening. I believe it is now loctite #30516.
Or use TiteSeal (T25-66)

Pete C. January 11th 08 02:26 AM

Gunner wrote:
[...]

Eh, you worry too much about cosmetics. When I put the first good
scratch in my (then) new truck it was a "now it's a real truck" moment.

Michael A. Terrell January 11th 08 02:28 AM

Leo Lichtman wrote:

"whit3rd" wrote: (clip)That "when it won't explode" step is kinda
important.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If you're gunna solder with a heavy electric soldering iron, you're pretty
safe. If you plan to do it with a torch, be sure to warn the neighbors to
take shelter, kuz that "when it won't explode" part is hard to verify in
advance. I once blew up a Harley tank that was full of water. Well, ALMOST
full of water.

I had a 30 gallon tank off of my '73 Chevy Stepvan full of water,
including the neck. I lit my propane torch about a foot away. The tank
jumped about 18" in the air and spun, dumping water all over the place
and expanding the tank, till it split at the seam. Oh well, it was
junk, anyway! :)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Don Foreman January 11th 08 03:30 AM

wrote:

I hit a bit of road debris coming home from a job site last night,
made a hell of a noise, and after I got home and parked, found it had
punched a hole about 1/4" in diamter in the front tank (freshly
filled) right next to a strap. Stuck a screw in..too small, stuck a
lag bolt in..too small, hammered in a wooden plug. Reduced it to a
drip.

Not a lot of fun running the garden hose to flush the gas out from
under the truck, and laying in the mess trying to get the leak
stopped, in 40F weather...

I dont want to pull this tank. Gonna be a MOFO to do.

What products are out there that will allow me to simply patch over
the top of the 1/4" stubb of wood plug sticking out? Or do I need to
pull the plug (after running the tank dry?)

Gunner

Find a round head SS machine screw (or turn the corners off a hex)
whose head will just go thru the hole -- or enlarge the hole suitably.
Find some rubber-like fuel line (not metal) that fits snugly on the
threaded part with OD just a whisker smaller than that of the head.

Cut a screwdriver slot in the other end of the bolt, or grind or mill
flats on it, or weld the head off a smaller socket-head cap screw to
it. You'll want to grab both the bolt and a nut from the same end,
like rear struts in a Rabbit. You'll need a good grip on it.

Put short bit of square-cut fuel line on threaded part, shove head end
into hole. Put washer and nut on outside end of bolt grab shank and
tighten nut. This will compress the fuel line to a barrel shape,
expanding it to fit tightly in the hole and seal it. There will also
be a compression seal between the head of the bolt and the square end
of the brakeline. You can cut it smooth and square with a very sharp
wet razor knife, if those are still allowed in California and you have
a permit.

I haven't tried this in a fuel tank, but I did just now try the trick
with the fuel line and bolt. Before compression the OD of the fuel
line was .590, the (hex) head bolt is .562 across corners. After
compression, the OD of the fuel line is .725. 90% of the job is done
in a warm, dry shop. No flames so no boom. No worries about whether
it'll "stick".

The energy and vitality of youth is no match for the sneaky, devious
cunning of maturity...

Ruck!

Steve W.[_2_] January 11th 08 03:38 AM

Gunner wrote:
I hit a bit of road debris coming home from a job site last night,
made a hell of a noise, and after I got home and parked, found it had
punched a hole about 1/4" in diamter in the front tank (freshly
filled) right next to a strap. Stuck a screw in..too small, stuck a
lag bolt in..too small, hammered in a wooden plug. Reduced it to a
drip.

Not a lot of fun running the garden hose to flush the gas out from
under the truck, and laying in the mess trying to get the leak
stopped, in 40F weather...

I dont want to pull this tank. Gonna be a MOFO to do.

What products are out there that will allow me to simply patch over
the top of the 1/4" stubb of wood plug sticking out? Or do I need to
pull the plug (after running the tank dry?)

Gunner

Run it dry, Clean off the area REAL well and pull your wood plug. Then
use a tank repair kit to patch the hole. The kit's I use are made by
VersaChem and work far better than any others.

http://www.versachem.com/catalog.aspx?prodID=83

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

Tim Wescott January 11th 08 04:17 AM

[...]

Just about any epoxy will stick to metal well if you grind it nice and
bright.

No, wait, there's something wrong with that idea...

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Ron Moore January 11th 08 04:59 AM

Punched a hole in my gas tank last night

When my wife ran over a parking lot stop with the rebar sticking out, we got
a 6 X .5 inch rip in the tank. Pulled it off and oxy welded it up. I put
the gas filler pipe on the exhaust of a running car (a Subaru, as I
remember) and welded with NO problem. I just let it idle for a few minutes.
Car exhaust is not good for breathing or burning. With the tank drained and
a hose placed properly, should work on the car. Sound's scary as anything
but it worked fine for me. Results may vary, I suppose.
It wouldn't have been so bad if she hadn't just filled the 20gal tank. By
the time she got home, about 2 miles, the tank was DRAINED.
Respectfully,
Ron Moore

William Noble January 11th 08 05:20 AM

Punched a hole in my gas tank last night

if the tank is metal, solder is a fine way to fix it, and requires no open
flame and will not disturb the internal anti-corrosion coating much - old
gas tanks were made of stuff that as I recall was called "turn plate" - and
soldered at the seams -

Ed Huntress January 11th 08 05:36 AM

Punched a hole in my gas tank last night

"William Noble" wrote in message
.. .
if the tank is metal, solder is a fine way to fix it, and requires no open
flame and will not disturb the internal anti-corrosion coating much - old
gas tanks were made of stuff that as I recall was called "turn plate" -
and soldered at the seams -

FYI, that's "tern plate," which is lead-coated, or more often,
tin/lead-coated steel. It can be resistance-welded without destroying the
coating so it's a fairly good material for gas tanks. Some gas tanks are
galvanized on the inside.

--
Ed Huntress

Gunner[_2_] January 11th 08 07:27 AM

Punched a hole in my gas tank last night

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 00:07:59 GMT, "William Wixon"
wrote:

"wws" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry..it was the front tank on my 1 ton van. Steel.

Lost 20 gallon$.

Must have made it damned uncomfortable for those behind me....

Gunner

Gunner[_2_] January 11th 08 07:32 AM

Punched a hole in my gas tank last night

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 00:30:05 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"Jordan" wrote: If you can get access into the tank, this could work:
Get a nut, weld a length of wire (1/8" welding rod?) to it, get it over
the hole inside tank. Put a fuel-resistant rubber washer on a matching
screw, thread into hole and nut. Wire will help nut catch screw, and
prevent rotation. (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That sounds a lot harder than my suggestion of using a toggle bolt and
washer. Hell, I have a hard enough time starting a nut with my fingertips.

I LIKE the toggle bolt idea. With some steel epoxy under the fender
washer.

Gunner

Gunner[_2_] January 11th 08 07:37 AM

Punched a hole in my gas tank last night

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 22:39:01 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

You're funny.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

Since you mention only one hole, does that mean the bullet is still in the
tank? If so, I'd just leave it there.

Nah..Ive never shot my own vehicle. Well..there was one time I was
shooting ground squirrels and I let the barrel drop a bit much while
shooting from a ridge line. that 1.5" distance between the bore and
the cross hairs did me in. Put a neat groove on the very edge of the
hood.

Gunner

Gunner[_2_] January 11th 08 07:39 AM

Punched a hole in my gas tank last night

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 22:59:52 -0600, "Ron Moore"
wrote:

It wouldn't have been so bad if she hadn't just filled the 20gal tank. By
the time she got home, about 2 miles, the tank was DRAINED.
Respectfully,
Ron Moore

Id just paid $3.19 per and filled that 20 gallon tank. I managed to
salvage about 3 gallons.

If I were at home up north, I could have saved a lot of it..but down
here in LA..Ive got no containers of any sort.

It really sucked watching that expensive sheen on the water flowing
away down the gutter....

Gunner

Larry Jaques January 11th 08 11:24 AM

Punched a hole in my gas tank last night

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 20:26:45 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Pete C." quickly quoth:

Larry Jaques wrote:
At the same time, I
heard the tree branches scraping the side of my brand new truck. After
****ting a brick and pulling forward to look at the damage, I found
that I was lucky.

Eh, you worry too much about cosmetics. When I put the first good
scratch in my (then) new truck it was a "now it's a real truck" moment.

I did that with my last truck for 17 years. Now I want PURTY for at
least a short while, if I may.

Pete C. January 11th 08 11:43 AM

Larry Jaques wrote:
At the same time, I
heard the tree branches scraping the side of my brand new truck. After
****ting a brick and pulling forward to look at the damage, I found
that I was lucky.

Eh, you worry too much about cosmetics. When I put the first good
scratch in my (then) new truck it was a "now it's a real truck" moment.

I did that with my last truck for 17 years. Now I want PURTY for at
least a short while, if I may.

--
That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest.
-- Henry David Thoreau

Eh, I'm still driving that "real" truck some 11 years later. When I
finally get that shiny new F550 to replace it, I'll try to keep it shiny
and purty... for at least 90 days :)

Larry Jaques January 11th 08 12:44 PM

Punched a hole in my gas tank last night

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 05:43:57 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Pete C." quickly quoth:

Larry Jaques wrote:
At the same time, I
heard the tree branches scraping the side of my brand new truck. After
****ting a brick and pulling forward to look at the damage, I found
that I was lucky.

Eh, you worry too much about cosmetics. When I put the first good
scratch in my (then) new truck it was a "now it's a real truck" moment.

I did that with my last truck for 17 years. Now I want PURTY for at
least a short while, if I may.

--
That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest.
-- Henry David Thoreau

Eh, I'm still driving that "real" truck some 11 years later. When I
finally get that shiny new F550 to replace it, I'll try to keep it shiny
and purty... for at least 90 days :)

I must admit that I'm ready to start punching holes in mine, but on
the -inside-, TYVM. I picked up another set of speakers yesterday, and
I removed the stake hole covers to insert my tiedowns.

I also need to find a good profile of extruded aluminum channel for
inside the bed. The deck rail and tiedown stuff they have is beaucoup
expensive and I don't have any firstborns to sacrifice to them.
http://www.brandsport.com/toy-pt271-34070-hw.html is cheaper than the
dealer, but that's not saying much.

Anyone seen any extrusions which might work for me? Who has a good
selection of aluminum channel profiles at dirt cheap prices?

---
Chaos, panic, and disorder--my work here is done.

Ed Huntress January 11th 08 01:21 PM

"Gunner" wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 22:39:01 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

You're funny.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

Since you mention only one hole, does that mean the bullet is still in the
tank? If so, I'd just leave it there.

Nah..Ive never shot my own vehicle. Well..there was one time...

Well, that's good. I thought maybe we were in for another round of "guns as
tools," and I was wondering whether you were using your Raven as a torque
wrench or a crowbar.

--
Ed Huntress

SteveB[_2_] January 11th 08 01:22 PM

Larry Jaques wrote:
At the same time, I
heard the tree branches scraping the side of my brand new truck. After
****ting a brick and pulling forward to look at the damage, I found
that I was lucky.

Eh, you worry too much about cosmetics. When I put the first good
scratch in my (then) new truck it was a "now it's a real truck" moment.

I did that with my last truck for 17 years. Now I want PURTY for at
least a short while, if I may.

--
That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest.
-- Henry David Thoreau

Eh, I'm still driving that "real" truck some 11 years later. When I
finally get that shiny new F550 to replace it, I'll try to keep it shiny
and purty... for at least 90 days :)

Don't know about you, but I put people with clean shiny dentless trucks in
the same category as people with clean desks. They're too busy cleaning to
do anything. I see lots of 4wd trucks that have never been put in 4wd.
Thousands spent on lift kits and shocks and garbage, and all done with the
"LOOK AT ME" mentality. I like Bubba trucks that have obvious wear. The
guy may be a slob, but you know he gets out his driveway. If he has one,
that is.

I had a guy drop two buckets of gravel in my three day old Dodge 2500. He
asked me if I was sure I wanted to do that, and I said that's what I bought
the truck for.

Several dings in one year. Some from stupidity, and some happened overnight
in the garage. Wife and I differ on actual facts. But we have BOTH backed
into small cars with it. Got my ass chewed royally for being the first.
Not much was said when she repeated it a few weeks later. Why is that?

"I don't know where that dent came from. Must have been when YOU went to
the store."

Steve