Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Deburring Glass Tube

I'm making some canisters that have a glass piece in them. It is a
tube 200mm in dia, 5mm thick, and 350mm long. The tolerances on the
tube are quite wide, it can be up to 1mm out of round, although the
wall thickness is probably within 0.2mm.

I have a custom made toolpost grinder for parting them off in the
lathe which after some trial and error seems to work well, and I now
have a good process. I can part one off in about 7 minutes.
Currently I'm using a linisher to take off the sharp edge, and prevent
the glass from chipping, however this gives a poor finish, and will
sometimes chip the edge. Deburring in the lathe will not work,
because the piece is out of round.

Any suggestions on a better way to debur the edges? I'm only trying
to achieve a 0.5mm chamfer.

Cheers, Dom.

Oh, I'm need to debur the inside and outside edges.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dom" wrote in message
I'm making some canisters that have a glass piece in them. It is a
tube 200mm in dia, 5mm thick, and 350mm long. The tolerances on the
tube are quite wide, it can be up to 1mm out of round, although the
wall thickness is probably within 0.2mm.

I have a custom made toolpost grinder for parting them off in the
lathe which after some trial and error seems to work well, and I now
have a good process. I can part one off in about 7 minutes.
Currently I'm using a linisher to take off the sharp edge, and prevent
the glass from chipping, however this gives a poor finish, and will
sometimes chip the edge. Deburring in the lathe will not work,
because the piece is out of round.

Any suggestions on a better way to debur the edges? I'm only trying
to achieve a 0.5mm chamfer.

Cheers, Dom.

Oh, I'm need to debur the inside and outside edges.

Fire polishing ???? I did some old bottles years ago with an old
phonograph turntable and a torch ..

Take care ...Tom in Belle Vernon PA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dom wrote:
I'm making some canisters that have a glass piece in them. It is a
tube 200mm in dia, 5mm thick, and 350mm long. The tolerances on the
tube are quite wide, it can be up to 1mm out of round, although the
wall thickness is probably within 0.2mm.

I have a custom made toolpost grinder for parting them off in the
lathe which after some trial and error seems to work well, and I now
have a good process. I can part one off in about 7 minutes.
Currently I'm using a linisher to take off the sharp edge, and prevent
the glass from chipping, however this gives a poor finish, and will
sometimes chip the edge. Deburring in the lathe will not work,
because the piece is out of round.

Any suggestions on a better way to debur the edges? I'm only trying
to achieve a 0.5mm chamfer.

Cheers, Dom.

Oh, I'm need to debur the inside and outside edges.

Maybe look at one of the small units used by some glass workers such as
http://www.warm-glass.co.uk/Shop/Pro...?ProductId=308 . You
can get many different plated diamond heads for these so you should be
able to find something to suit your needs. There are makers other than
Inland also, Glastar IIRC. You can also get custom items plated to suit
you needs, I turned up blanks and had them plated by Asahi Diamond in
the UK to suit my requirements.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Fire polishing ???? * I did some old bottles years ago with an old
phonograph turntable and a torch ..

Take care ...Tom in Belle Vernon PA- Hide quoted text -

Tom, what sort of flame did you use? I have tried using my oxy-
acetylene, but the glass cracked, and threatened to explode! Will the
type of glass make a difference?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

garigue wrote:

"Dom" wrote in message

[...]

Archived from an old post:

1. I set up my workmate with the jaws open to
about the radius of the jar I
wanted to cut. 2. Laid the jar in the jaws so
that it could rotate. 3. Set up a
tungsten tipped tile cutter to the centre of the
jar and C-clamp in place so that
the cutter is pressing on the jar.

4. End stop the jar using a clamp and a block of
wood. 5. Score the jar by
rotating it by hand against the cutter. 6.
Turning the jar slowly in the lathe I
gradually applied heat from a small hobby gas
torch to the score line increasing
the heat slowly until ping! the end fell off. 7.
Then I dressed off the end with
wet and dry.

Good luck,

Grant Erwin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Dom wrote:

Fire polishing ???? I did some old bottles years ago with an old
phonograph turntable and a torch ..

Take care ...Tom in Belle Vernon PA- Hide quoted text -

Tom, what sort of flame did you use? I have tried using my oxy-
acetylene, but the glass cracked, and threatened to explode! Will the
type of glass make a difference?

The type of glass makes a significant difference. Common soda glass has
a COE which is significant and you are not likely to be successful
unless the glass is quite thin, like 1mm, or you warm the whole piece
carefully. A common process in production wine glass making is to blow
the piece, score the bowl, then crack off the upper section with a flame
which then fire polishes the rim leaving the finished edge, the thin
section allows this to work. Borosilicate glass has a much lower COE so
the internal stresses built up due to heating are much lower and so
thicker sections can be heated locally without breakage.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dom" wrote in message

Fire polishing ???? I did some old bottles years ago with an old
phonograph turntable and a torch ..

Take care ...Tom in Belle Vernon PA- Hide quoted text -

Tom, what sort of flame did you use? I have tried using my oxy-
acetylene, but the glass cracked, and threatened to explode! Will the
type of glass make a difference?

Hello there Dom ...... I was making some drinking glasses from old bottles
.....so type of glass I guess is run-of-the-mill ... the directions if I
remember were to use a crocus paper to smooth the edge after making the cut
....I wasn't quite satisfied with the surface so I figured I try
firepolishing .....I ran into the cracking problem but I was able to get a
good edge if I was careful in initially heating the piece .... but in
looking at the fellow who asked the question .... the wall thickness and
diameter are pretty "hefty" . Again this was about 35 years ago or so
....it seems I remember using an old toaster oven at first ..... all I say
is for sure is that the wife said get rid of those crappy glasses ......so
that was the end of glasses from bottles and even an incompleted chandelier
project....

Take care ...Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have done this three ways:
1.) Put a piece of wet-or-dry sandpaper on a flat surface, like a piece of
plate glass, and slide the end of the tubing back and forth.
2.) Same as 1.), except use an abrasive paste, like valve lapping compound,
instead of sandpaper.
3.) Hold the edge of the tubing against a belt sander, with a water drip
to keep things wet. If you don't use water, the glass will chip. I have
made scoops out of wine goblets this way.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Turning the jar slowly in the lathe I
gradually applied heat from a small hobby gas
torch to the score line increasing
the heat slowly until ping! the end fell off. 7.
Then I dressed off the end with
wet and dry.

Good luck,

Grant Erwin

Hello Erwin ...boy you guys are jogging my memory ....I used a glass cutter
to scribe a line on the bottle circumference on a wooden jig I made ....
Then I used a bent rod with a weight on it that went into the bottle which
then was tapped about the scribed line from inside the bottle ..... this
resulted is some nice separation and in some cases a handful of glass shards
....gloves of course .... then I tried using a string soaked in alcohol tied
at the scribe line ...lit it then ping ...nice separation ..... seemingly I
got the string flame system from an old Pop Mechanics ....

Take care Erwin ..... Tom in Belle Vernon Pa

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dom" wrote in message

Fire polishing ???? I did some old bottles years ago with an old
phonograph turntable and a torch ..

Take care ...Tom in Belle Vernon PA- Hide quoted text -

Tom, what sort of flame did you use? I have tried using my oxy-
acetylene, but the glass cracked, and threatened to explode! Will the
type of glass make a difference?

Sorry Dom .... need to improve my comprehension ..... used propane but it
took some time ....

Take care ..... Tom in Belle Vernon PA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 20:07:07 -0500, "garigue"
wrote:

[...]

IIRC from ~60 years back, the method was to wrap a cord once and a
half around the bottle, then pull it back and forth to heat the glass.
After about five minutes, dunk the bottle into cold water. SNAP!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks all for your good suggestions! This has given me some new
ideas to try.

Cheers Dom.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"garigue" wrote: (clip) then I tried using a string soaked in alcohol tied
at the scribe line ...lit it then ping ...nice separation .(clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The burning string method does not require a scribe line.

This can also be done with a piece of resistance wire stretched around the
bottle. Again, no need for a scribed line.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 9, 5:54 pm, Dom wrote:
Thanks all for your good suggestions! This has given me some new
ideas to try.

Cheers Dom.

There was a recent thread on this group relating to making your own
triode vacuum tubes. The French video shows lots of glass work,
including the use of a VERY soft fluffy flame to preheat the freshly
cut glass before using a hot flame to smooth out the edge. You might
look back a few days and find the thread.

Reminded me of my old chemistry class in highschool and college. Doing
your own glass work was one of the first things we were taught in lab.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 9, 4:23*pm, Dom wrote:
I'm making some canisters that have a glass piece in them. *It is a
tube 200mm in dia, 5mm thick, and 350mm long. *The tolerances on the
tube are quite wide, it can be up to 1mm out of round, although the
wall thickness is probably within 0.2mm.

I have a custom made toolpost grinder for parting them off in the
lathe which after some trial and error seems to work well, and I now
have a good process. *I can part one off in about 7 minutes.
Currently I'm using a linisher to take off the sharp edge, and prevent
the glass from chipping, however this gives a poor finish, and will
sometimes chip the edge. *Deburring in the lathe will not work,
because the piece is out of round.

Any suggestions on a better way to debur the edges? *I'm only trying
to achieve a 0.5mm chamfer.

Cheers, Dom.

Oh, I'm need to debur the inside and outside edges.

I've used a wet carborundum stone to bevel the edges of rear view
mirror blanks before installing them in the housings. Done by hand,
no heat. A diamond hone plate with water should work, too.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I used a Harbor Freight diamond disc (dust and plating on a small thin steel
disc, set of 4 with an 1/8" arbor for $5, IIIRC) in a Dremel tool to shorten
a piece of glass tubing (specific type unknown).

The disc with the Dremel was a little slow, and made a small cloud of dust
while it was cutting, but it cut the tube without too much trouble, and then
I used silicon carbide sandpaper (referred to as "wet or dry" by the other
responders), which is the almost-black wet-sanding paper used in automotive
(and other) paint refinishing processes.

The SC paper allowed me to form a very smooth, slightly radiused edge on
the end of the tube, but as you probably already realize, the glass had a
frosted look.
The tube's purpose was to mate with a tapered silicone seal which enters the
end of the tube, so I wanted the opening to be radiused and smooth, so it
wouldn't be cutting into the silicone.

This was a solder collector tube for a Pace desoldering handpiece, BTW.

Note: there were a lot of eBay sellers offering different sorts of glass
tubing, but just try to get them to give you ID and OD sizes.. they probably
can't/won't, at least in my experience.

WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

"Dom" wrote in message
I'm making some canisters that have a glass piece in them. It is a
tube 200mm in dia, 5mm thick, and 350mm long. The tolerances on the
tube are quite wide, it can be up to 1mm out of round, although the
wall thickness is probably within 0.2mm.

I have a custom made toolpost grinder for parting them off in the
lathe which after some trial and error seems to work well, and I now
have a good process. I can part one off in about 7 minutes.
Currently I'm using a linisher to take off the sharp edge, and prevent
the glass from chipping, however this gives a poor finish, and will
sometimes chip the edge. Deburring in the lathe will not work,
because the piece is out of round.

Any suggestions on a better way to debur the edges? I'm only trying
to achieve a 0.5mm chamfer.

Cheers, Dom.

Oh, I'm need to debur the inside and outside edges.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

garigue wrote:
[...]

Talk about memories. :-) A friend and I made a bunch of film
developing tanks to fit the Nikor reels out of a particular
beer bottle that way about 54 years ago (I think it was 1954).
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dom" wrote in message
I'm making some canisters that have a glass piece in them. It is a
tube 200mm in dia, 5mm thick, and 350mm long. The tolerances on the
tube are quite wide, it can be up to 1mm out of round, although the
wall thickness is probably within 0.2mm.

I have a custom made toolpost grinder for parting them off in the
lathe which after some trial and error seems to work well, and I now
have a good process. I can part one off in about 7 minutes.
Currently I'm using a linisher to take off the sharp edge, and prevent
the glass from chipping, however this gives a poor finish, and will
sometimes chip the edge. Deburring in the lathe will not work,
because the piece is out of round.

Any suggestions on a better way to debur the edges? I'm only trying
to achieve a 0.5mm chamfer.

Cheers, Dom.

Oh, I'm need to debur the inside and outside edges.

wet/dry sandpaper, used wet.

abrasive stone, available at stained glass shops. looks like
http://www.delphiglass.com/index.cfm...emsysid=144417

regards,
charlie
http://glassartists.org/chaniarts

Special Deburring Tools? Joe AutoDrill Metalworking 4 October 22nd 07 08:37 PM
Deburring copper pipe PM UK diy 45 March 13th 06 08:25 AM
Deburring while clamped - help???? Bill Schwab Metalworking 24 December 22nd 05 08:52 PM
Deburring problem solved! Wayne Lundberg Metalworking 1 February 19th 05 02:49 AM
deburring inside drilled tubing? Wayne Lundberg Metalworking 43 February 1st 05 07:10 PM