Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default Deburring Glass Tube

Dom wrote:
I'm making some canisters that have a glass piece in them. It is a
tube 200mm in dia, 5mm thick, and 350mm long. The tolerances on the
tube are quite wide, it can be up to 1mm out of round, although the
wall thickness is probably within 0.2mm.

I have a custom made toolpost grinder for parting them off in the
lathe which after some trial and error seems to work well, and I now
have a good process. I can part one off in about 7 minutes.
Currently I'm using a linisher to take off the sharp edge, and prevent
the glass from chipping, however this gives a poor finish, and will
sometimes chip the edge. Deburring in the lathe will not work,
because the piece is out of round.

Any suggestions on a better way to debur the edges? I'm only trying
to achieve a 0.5mm chamfer.

Cheers, Dom.

Oh, I'm need to debur the inside and outside edges.

Maybe look at one of the small units used by some glass workers such as
http://www.warm-glass.co.uk/Shop/Pro...?ProductId=308 . You
can get many different plated diamond heads for these so you should be
able to find something to suit your needs. There are makers other than
Inland also, Glastar IIRC. You can also get custom items plated to suit
you needs, I turned up blanks and had them plated by Asahi Diamond in
the UK to suit my requirements.