Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Deburring Glass Tube

I used a Harbor Freight diamond disc (dust and plating on a small thin steel
disc, set of 4 with an 1/8" arbor for $5, IIIRC) in a Dremel tool to shorten
a piece of glass tubing (specific type unknown).

The disc with the Dremel was a little slow, and made a small cloud of dust
while it was cutting, but it cut the tube without too much trouble, and then
I used silicon carbide sandpaper (referred to as "wet or dry" by the other
responders), which is the almost-black wet-sanding paper used in automotive
(and other) paint refinishing processes.

The SC paper allowed me to form a very smooth, slightly radiused edge on
the end of the tube, but as you probably already realize, the glass had a
frosted look.
The tube's purpose was to mate with a tapered silicone seal which enters the
end of the tube, so I wanted the opening to be radiused and smooth, so it
wouldn't be cutting into the silicone.

This was a solder collector tube for a Pace desoldering handpiece, BTW.

Note: there were a lot of eBay sellers offering different sorts of glass
tubing, but just try to get them to give you ID and OD sizes.. they probably
can't/won't, at least in my experience.

WB
metalworking projects
www.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

"Dom" wrote in message
I'm making some canisters that have a glass piece in them. It is a
tube 200mm in dia, 5mm thick, and 350mm long. The tolerances on the
tube are quite wide, it can be up to 1mm out of round, although the
wall thickness is probably within 0.2mm.

I have a custom made toolpost grinder for parting them off in the
lathe which after some trial and error seems to work well, and I now
have a good process. I can part one off in about 7 minutes.
Currently I'm using a linisher to take off the sharp edge, and prevent
the glass from chipping, however this gives a poor finish, and will
sometimes chip the edge. Deburring in the lathe will not work,
because the piece is out of round.

Any suggestions on a better way to debur the edges? I'm only trying
to achieve a 0.5mm chamfer.

Cheers, Dom.

Oh, I'm need to debur the inside and outside edges.