Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Deburring Glass Tube

I'm making some canisters that have a glass piece in them. It is a
tube 200mm in dia, 5mm thick, and 350mm long. The tolerances on the
tube are quite wide, it can be up to 1mm out of round, although the
wall thickness is probably within 0.2mm.

I have a custom made toolpost grinder for parting them off in the
lathe which after some trial and error seems to work well, and I now
have a good process. I can part one off in about 7 minutes.
Currently I'm using a linisher to take off the sharp edge, and prevent
the glass from chipping, however this gives a poor finish, and will
sometimes chip the edge. Deburring in the lathe will not work,
because the piece is out of round.

Any suggestions on a better way to debur the edges? I'm only trying
to achieve a 0.5mm chamfer.

Cheers, Dom.

Oh, I'm need to debur the inside and outside edges.

Special Deburring Tools? Joe AutoDrill Metalworking 4 October 22nd 07 08:37 PM
Deburring copper pipe PM UK diy 45 March 13th 06 08:25 AM
Deburring while clamped - help???? Bill Schwab Metalworking 24 December 22nd 05 08:52 PM
Deburring problem solved! Wayne Lundberg Metalworking 1 February 19th 05 02:49 AM
deburring inside drilled tubing? Wayne Lundberg Metalworking 43 February 1st 05 07:10 PM