Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
garigue garigue is offline

Default Deburring Glass Tube

"Dom" wrote in message

Fire polishing ???? I did some old bottles years ago with an old
phonograph turntable and a torch ..

Take care ...Tom in Belle Vernon PA- Hide quoted text -

Tom, what sort of flame did you use? I have tried using my oxy-
acetylene, but the glass cracked, and threatened to explode! Will the
type of glass make a difference?

Hello there Dom ...... I was making some drinking glasses from old bottles
.....so type of glass I guess is run-of-the-mill ... the directions if I
remember were to use a crocus paper to smooth the edge after making the cut
....I wasn't quite satisfied with the surface so I figured I try
firepolishing .....I ran into the cracking problem but I was able to get a
good edge if I was careful in initially heating the piece .... but in
looking at the fellow who asked the question .... the wall thickness and
diameter are pretty "hefty" . Again this was about 35 years ago or so
....it seems I remember using an old toaster oven at first ..... all I say
is for sure is that the wife said get rid of those crappy glasses ......so
that was the end of glasses from bottles and even an incompleted chandelier
project....

Take care ...Tom