Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lew Hartswick Lew Hartswick is offline

Default Deburring Glass Tube

garigue wrote:
Turning the jar slowly in the lathe I
gradually applied heat from a small hobby gas
torch to the score line increasing
the heat slowly until ping! the end fell off. 7.
Then I dressed off the end with
wet and dry.

Good luck,

Grant Erwin

Hello Erwin ...boy you guys are jogging my memory ....I used a glass cutter
to scribe a line on the bottle circumference on a wooden jig I made ....
Then I used a bent rod with a weight on it that went into the bottle which
then was tapped about the scribed line from inside the bottle ..... this
resulted is some nice separation and in some cases a handful of glass shards
...gloves of course .... then I tried using a string soaked in alcohol tied
at the scribe line ...lit it then ping ...nice separation ..... seemingly I
got the string flame system from an old Pop Mechanics ....

Take care Erwin ..... Tom in Belle Vernon Pa

Talk about memories. :-) A friend and I made a bunch of film
developing tanks to fit the Nikor reels out of a particular
beer bottle that way about 54 years ago (I think it was 1954).
...lew...