Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

Default Dallas machinist 2, Bad guys 0

Police: Dallas Businessman Kills Second Intruder

http://www.nbc5i.com/news/14339830/d...s=dfw&psp=news

DALLAS -- For the second time in three weeks, police say the owner of a
Dallas machine shop has fatally shot an intruder who had broken into his
business.

Investigators say no charges will be filed against James Walton, but the
case will be referred to a Dallas County grand jury.

Police say Walton killed the suspected burglar with a shotgun blast
inside Able Walton Machine & Welding on Sunday. Walton lives above the
shop and was alerted to the intrusion by a motion sensor system.

Police identified the intruder as 37-year-old Jimmy Gannon of Ferris.

Walton also shot and wounded a second man Sunday outside of the shop.
Police said the man escaped, but was eventually detained for questioning.

Police say Walton shot and killed Raul Laureles about three weeks ago
after Laureles climbed through a pried-open window of the business. That
incident also was referred to a grand jury.
-------------------------

I may have to drive over and buy this guy a beer.
I expect there will be a line.
Of course, I'd go during daylight hours.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RDF RDF is offline

Buy him a beer from me too, And a box of whatever buckshot he uses!!!!

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 14:20:33 -0500, Rex wrote:

[...]

Tell me how much a 6 pack is, and Ill send you the money.

Ask him what shot load he was using. The second guy shouldnt have
been able to escape. #4 buck is best.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

[...]

According to the billboard for I think MGD, $4.90 compared to something
like $4.35 for a latte...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

Rex wrote:
[...]

This guy ought to have both newspaper articles laminated and posted on
the outside of the shop.
But maybe those BGs can't read anyway.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It says the case is being referred to a Grand Jury. As they say, not even a
ham sandwich can escape being indicted by a Grand Jury. So this machinist
isn't off the hook yet.

"Rex" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 17:14:57 -0500, Rex wrote:

Rex wrote:
[...]

A billboard with a photo of the bloody body might lower Dallas' crime
rate.

--Andy Asberry--
------Texas-----
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tony wrote:

It says the case is being referred to a Grand Jury. As they say, not even a
ham sandwich can escape being indicted by a Grand Jury. So this machinist
isn't off the hook yet.

It's Texas, it's just a formality to appease the loony left.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RDF RDF is offline

In Texas the only person who can kill a retard is the Governor... Anyone
else needs to be cleared by a Grand Jury right?

Rob

"Pete C." wrote in message
Tony wrote:

It says the case is being referred to a Grand Jury. As they say, not even
ham sandwich can escape being indicted by a Grand Jury. So this machinist
isn't off the hook yet.

It's Texas, it's just a formality to appease the loony left.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

When its referred to the grand jury in Texas and no charges are filed it
means that the prosecutor doesnt want the case to go foward and is not
going to try to get the guy indited.

It comes down to the "He needed killing" defense.

"Rex" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RDF wrote:

In Texas the only person who can kill a retard is the Governor... Anyone
else needs to be cleared by a Grand Jury right?

No mentally retarded person can be executed in the United States. Atkins v.
Virginia, USSC, 2002.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 19:57:55 -0400, "Tony" wrote:

It says the case is being referred to a Grand Jury. As they say, not even a
ham sandwich can escape being indicted by a Grand Jury. So this machinist
isn't off the hook yet.

Its in Texas, where " He needed killin" is a valid excuse. Plus no
charges will be filed so its proforma.

Gunner

"Rex" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Rex" wrote in message
[...]

I remeber reading someonwhere that texas has a law on the books
specifically PERMITTING the use of force up to and including deadly
force against someone appearing to be stealing your property.

The law itself was from the old west and was put in place for cattle
rustling. But i had heard mention of a few repo man getting shot dead
and this law was used to clear the shooter.

Doesn't sound like the law is still on the books from the news article
though.

Brent

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

After a Computer crash and the demise of civilization, it was learned
Gunner Asch wrote on Mon, 15 Oct 2007
22:44:30 -0700 in rec.crafts.metalworking :
On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 19:57:55 -0400, "Tony" wrote:

It says the case is being referred to a Grand Jury. As they say, not even a
ham sandwich can escape being indicted by a Grand Jury. So this machinist
isn't off the hook yet.

Its in Texas, where " He needed killin" is a valid excuse. Plus no
charges will be filed so its proforma.

I've been informed that the full defense is "He just needed a good
killin'"

And remember, sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. Texas
girls have the right to shoot your cheating heart, ass, or any other
part of you which gets in the path of the bullet. Or shot. [one more
reason that folks down that ways say "Ma'am" a lot. :-) ]
Red headed Texas girls - as dangerous as smoking while setting
charges, but a whole lot more fun!

pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
"Do not argue with the forces of nature, for you are small,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RDF RDF is offline

RDF wrote:

In Texas the only person who can kill a retard is the Governor... Anyone
else needs to be cleared by a Grand Jury right?

No mentally retarded person can be executed in the United States. Atkins
v. Virginia, USSC, 2002.

--
Ed Huntress

Hey Ed,

Someone forgot to tell GWB that while he was Governor!

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RDF wrote:

In Texas the only person who can kill a retard is the Governor... Anyone
else needs to be cleared by a Grand Jury right?

No mentally retarded person can be executed in the United States. Atkins
v. Virginia, USSC, 2002.

--
Ed Huntress

Hey Ed,

Someone forgot to tell GWB that while he was Governor!

Rob

Yabut, Mentally retarded is a relative definition :-)

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RDF wrote:

In Texas the only person who can kill a retard is the Governor... Anyone
else needs to be cleared by a Grand Jury right?

No mentally retarded person can be executed in the United States. Atkins
v. Virginia, USSC, 2002.

--
Ed Huntress

Hey Ed,

Someone forgot to tell GWB that while he was Governor!

Rob

Seems that with all the bleeding hearts running around...someone would
have used that defense, but couldnt make a case for it.
Glad to see Texas clears out its Death Row now and again.

I wish California would.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RDF wrote:

In Texas the only person who can kill a retard is the Governor...
Anyone
else needs to be cleared by a Grand Jury right?

No mentally retarded person can be executed in the United States. Atkins
v. Virginia, USSC, 2002.

--
Ed Huntress

Hey Ed,

Someone forgot to tell GWB that while he was Governor!

Rob

Yabut, Mentally retarded is a relative definition :-)

Yes in popular belief, but not under the law. In Virginia, the dividing line
is an IQ of 70 but that may vary by state; I never checked it out.

This was a Constitutionally messy case, and you probably don't want to start
a discussion about it. It produces a lot of heat but it goes nowhere.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Joe is offline

Brent wrote:

I remeber reading someonwhere that texas has a law on the books
specifically PERMITTING the use of force up to and including deadly
force against someone appearing to be stealing your property.

The law itself was from the old west and was put in place for cattle
rustling. But i had heard mention of a few repo man getting shot dead
and this law was used to clear the shooter.

Doesn't sound like the law is still on the books from the news article
though.

Brent

When I moved to South Carolina in 1980, there was an article in a local
paper quoting the sheriff of Anderson County saying (in effect) that
anyone who shot and killed an intruder in their house would have their
weapon confiscated while the case was investigated. After the
investigation was completed, the home owner would be cleared and the
weapon would be returned. I suppose the statement served both as a
warning to would-be burglars as well as a notice to homeowners to buy a
second gun to be used in the interim.

Joe
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RDF wrote:

In Texas the only person who can kill a retard is the Governor... Anyone
else needs to be cleared by a Grand Jury right?

No mentally retarded person can be executed in the United States. Atkins
v. Virginia, USSC, 2002.

Hey Ed,

Someone forgot to tell GWB that while he was Governor!

If Bush he knew that he could not be executed in the United States,
he'd probably attack a couple dozen of countries by now.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 13:43:52 +0100, with neither quill nor qualm, Mark
Rand quickly quoth:

RDF wrote:

In Texas the only person who can kill a retard is the Governor... Anyone
else needs to be cleared by a Grand Jury right?

No mentally retarded person can be executed in the United States. Atkins
v. Virginia, USSC, 2002.

--
Ed Huntress

Hey Ed,

Someone forgot to tell GWB that while he was Governor!

Yabut, Mentally retarded is a relative definition :-)

Yeah. Look at Congress and the White House today...
No WONDER they passed Ed's law.

--
Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives.
-- A. Sachs
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , "RDF" wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

No mentally retarded person can be executed in the United States. Atkins
v. Virginia, USSC, 2002.

Someone forgot to tell GWB that while he was Governor!

GWB wasn't Governor of Texas in 2002.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 09:20:06 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Mark Rand" wrote in message

Yabut, Mentally retarded is a relative definition :-)

Yes in popular belief, but not under the law. In Virginia, the dividing line
is an IQ of 70 but that may vary by state; I never checked it out.

That rules out most Virginians for execution. /Rebel humor

--
Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives.
-- A. Sachs

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Mark Rand" wrote in message

Yabut, Mentally retarded is a relative definition :-)

Yes in popular belief, but not under the law. In Virginia, the dividing
line
is an IQ of 70 but that may vary by state; I never checked it out.

That rules out most Virginians for execution. /Rebel humor

Starting off the day trolling for trouble, eh, Larry? g

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
* * is offline

If this guy has one of those signs in his office that says, "We kill every
third salesman - TWO have been here today!".....

.......I would take it seriously!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

This is part of a news story back on Sept 22. It is another Texas case.
It clearly shows where the DA stands. It came from the Huntsville Item a
local Huntsville Texas newspaper.

A Walker County grand jury will hear the case of a man who shot an
intruder at his business in the early morning hours Wednesday.

T.J. Burdett — owner of T.J. Burdett & Sons Recycling Center, located
near the intersection of state Highway 75 and Interstate 45 — will face
the grand jury for the shooting of a trespasser on his property around
4:30 a.m. Wednesday.

But Walker County Criminal District Attorney said he doesn’t plan to
present any charges to the grand jury.

“We're going to take (the case) to the regularly scheduled grand jury
meeting as a matter of policy,” Weeks said. “ I think the law is very
clear that (the shooting) will be deemed a justifiable act.”

According to police, Burdett shot Terry Reginald Green in the chest with
a shotgun after Green failed to comply with Burdett’s order to stay put.

Green — who is from Industry, some 18 miles south of Brenham — was
pronounced dead at the scene by Precinct 1 Justice of the Peace Janie
Farris.

Sgt. Jim Barnes with the Huntsville Police Department said Green was
shot once. Green’s body was taken to a medical examiner for an autopsy.

Barnes said it appeared Green was attempting to steal some scrap copper
at the facility when Burdett discovered him.

“The subject entered the closed business at night (and) appeared to be
about to commit a theft,” Barnes said. “He had on gloves and was heading
toward a general area where copper was kept.”

Barnes said the man forced himself through a locked gate to enter the
fenced-off area.

Under Texas law, deadly force is authorized when one fears their life is
in danger, as well as to protect personal property or prevent the
commission of robbery, theft during the nighttime or criminal mischief.

“You have a right to use deadly force,” Weeks said. “Basically, the law
provides that you are justified in using deadly force to protect land or
tangible, movable property.”

Weeks said that his office is not required to present the case to a
grand jury, but as a matter of policy plans to present the case without
any recommended charges.

“This will be presented to the grand jury with no recommended charges
due to the nature of the situation,” Weeks said. “ I fully expect the
grand jury will (not charge Burdett).

“I’m here to follow the law and the law is clear: he had the right to do
what he did.”

Weeks said Burdett fired a warning shot into the air before shooting Green.

“That’s more than the law requires,” Weeks said. “If anything, (Burdett)
went farther than he had to.”
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It says the case is being referred to a Grand Jury. As they say, not even
a ham sandwich can escape being indicted by a Grand Jury. So this
machinist isn't off the hook yet.

Having sat on two grand juries I can tell you that the odds are very high in
his favor. I can't see one outside of New England or CA returning a 'true
bill' on the guy.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Its in Texas, where " He needed killin" is a valid excuse. Plus no
charges will be filed so its proforma.

I've been informed that the full defense is "He just needed a good
killin'"

And remember, sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. Texas
girls have the right to shoot your cheating heart, ass, or any other
part of you which gets in the path of the bullet. Or shot. [one more
reason that folks down that ways say "Ma'am" a lot. :-) ]
Red headed Texas girls - as dangerous as smoking while setting
charges, but a whole lot more fun!

pyotr

Gee, pyotr, sounds like you've been here.
And had a pretty good time....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 09:43:38 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

.. .

"Mark Rand" wrote in message

Yabut, Mentally retarded is a relative definition :-)

Yes in popular belief, but not under the law. In Virginia, the dividing
line
is an IQ of 70 but that may vary by state; I never checked it out.

That rules out most Virginians for execution. /Rebel humor

Starting off the day trolling for trouble, eh, Larry? g

Ah, you betcha. Let's add this one. Check Snopes for me, will ya?

A History Lesson
----------------

Who made these statements?
(answers at the bottom)

1) "We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common
good."

A. Karl Marx
B. Adolph Hitler
C. Joseph Stalin
D. None of the above

2) "It's time for a new beginning, for an end to government of the
few, by the few, and for the few..and to replace it with shared
responsibility for shared prosperity."

A. Lenin
B. Mussolini
C. Idi Amin
D. None of the Above

3) "(We)...can't just let business as usual go on, and that means
something has to be taken away from some people."

A. Nikita Khrushev
B. Jose f Goebbels
C. Boris Yeltsin
D. None of the above

4) "We have to build a political consensus and that requires people to
give up a little bit of their own...in order to create this common
ground."

A. Mao Tse Dung
B. Hugo Chavez
C. Kim Jong Il
D. None of the above

5) "I certainly think the free-market has failed."

A. Karl Marx
B. Lenin
C. Molotov
D. None of the above

6) "I think it's time to send a clear message to what has become the
most profitable sector in (the) entire economy that they are being
watched."

A. Pinochet
B. Milosevic
C. Saddam Hussein
D. None of the above

Answers:

(1) D. None of the above. Statement was made by Hillary Clinton
6/29/2004
(2) D. None of the above. Statement was made by Hillary Clinton
5/29/2007
(3) D. None of the above. Statement was made by Hillary Clinton
6/4/2007
(4) D. None of the above. Statement was made by Hillary Clinton
6/4/2007
(5) D. None of the above. Statement was made by Hillary Clinton
6/4/2007
(6) D. None of the above. Statement was made by Hillary Clinton
9/2/2005

--
Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives.
-- A. Sachs
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 14:10:30 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,
George quickly quoth:

"Mark Rand" wrote in message

Yabut, Mentally retarded is a relative definition :-)
Yes in popular belief, but not under the law. In Virginia, the dividing line
is an IQ of 70 but that may vary by state; I never checked it out.

That rules out most Virginians for execution. /Rebel humor

--
Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives.
-- A. Sachs

Sorry but I gotta ask,, why do you want to execute Virgins???

So them damned Arabs don't gets 'em! Besides, virgins don't give out,
so who cares if they're gone? wink

--
Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives.
-- A. Sachs

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 09:43:38 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

. ..

"Mark Rand" wrote in message

Yabut, Mentally retarded is a relative definition :-)

Yes in popular belief, but not under the law. In Virginia, the dividing
line
is an IQ of 70 but that may vary by state; I never checked it out.

That rules out most Virginians for execution. /Rebel humor

Starting off the day trolling for trouble, eh, Larry? g

Ah, you betcha. Let's add this one. Check Snopes for me, will ya?

A History Lesson
----------------

Who made these statements?
(answers at the bottom)

Tch, tch. Shame on you:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/clintons/marxist.asp

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Rex" wrote in message
Rex wrote:
[...]

I see that the slow witted have all jumped on the atta boy band wagon once
again. Praising shooting people to death over who knows what property and of
what value. No mention of whether the shop owner was ever in any danger or
if any threat was made against him. Simply the fact that someone killed
people who had broken into a building is worthy of praise. It's the reverse
of the situation where a scum bag kills someone for ten dollars. Now a
citizen has killed two people and for what exactly? I think I'd rather wait
to hear the facts before jumping the gun on whether to praise this guy. My
nose tells me something is a bit fishy when a guy has to kill two people for
what is apparently only a crime of breaking and entering. If that is all the
intruders did I hardly think that is worthy of a death sentence. If they
were armed and threatening the guy's life that's a different story
altogether but nothing of that sort was mentioned. But for those who tend to
jump to conclusions simply hearing someone killed two possible thieves
sounds like something they like.

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-10-16, Hawke wrote:
[...]

I am not shedding tears for the copper thief. To the extent that the
owner makes them think twice about breaking into places, I am grateful
to him. The benefit to the society lies mostly not in saving the
copper, but in getting rid of scum in a lawful manner.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus3531" wrote in message

I am not shedding tears for the copper thief. To the extent that the
owner makes them think twice about breaking into places, I am grateful
to him. The benefit to the society lies mostly not in saving the
copper, but in getting rid of scum in a lawful manner.

Cripes, Iggy, that wasn't society. That was TEXAS! d8-)

The laws are different in the United States.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hawke wrote:
"Rex" wrote in message
Rex wrote:
[...]

Sounds like you got a criminal mentality to me ... there is a presumption
of intent to do bodily harm from the circumstances . In this case , the shop
should be considered part of his domicile , and he's within his rights to
defend his home .
Break into my house and you'll beg me to shoot you - my dogs don't like
intruders .
--

Snag aka OSG #1
'90 Ultra , "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message
Tony wrote:

It says the case is being referred to a Grand Jury. As they say, not

even a
ham sandwich can escape being indicted by a Grand Jury. So this

machinist
isn't off the hook yet.

It's Texas, it's just a formality to appease the loony left.

You want to talk about looney all you have to do is look at the whole state
of Texas. They think its right to kill someone because they were stealing
some scrap metal. Scrap metal! Can you believe that? Someone has the right
to kill another human being because they were taking a few bucks worth of
scrap metal. Now that is what I call nuts. In California it's illegal to
kill anyone over property regardless of its value. Why, because we value
human life over property. We also have insurance and can replace any
property that's stolen. The idea that a few bucks worth of property is worth
anyone's life is a nutty idea. It's like when someone wants to steal a
woman's purse and she won't let it go and winds up getting killed over a few
dollars worth of possessions. That's stupid. Property can be replaced lives
can't. Why some people are unable to understand that is beyond me. It's not
that I'm against killing. There is a time and a place for that but not over
a measly amount of property.

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

as Buggs Bunney would say, "Whadda Maroon"...

Is there a machinist in the house Terry Home Repair 5 November 8th 06 01:40 AM
The Machinist D Murphy Metalworking 36 December 3rd 05 04:50 PM
Machinist definition Tom Gardner Metalworking 11 October 8th 05 05:05 PM
machinist tutoring williamhenry Metalworking 7 June 4th 05 10:07 PM
Dallas/Fort Worth Machinist Class Vernon Metalworking 1 December 9th 03 01:42 AM