Tom Gardner

Default Machinist definition

I need to know the legal requirements for someone to call himself a
"Machinist" I have assumed it involved a certification and legitimate
training.

Iam certified (goverment) as a general machinist. Craig

jim rozen

In article , nospam says...

... I have assumed it involved a certification ...

Head wrench-banger and chief soldering iron jocky perhaps?

My favorite was "Dean of Phun."

Jim

please reply to:
Steve Lusardi

Tom,
Sounds like a loaded question from someone that doesn't know the business
end of a screwdriver. In answer to your question, No, you assumed wrong. If
there was, it would mean nothing. A machinist is a guy who works at the
trade. A good machinist is a machinist that machinists with 35 years of
experience call good. If good comes from any other source, the adjective has
no value.
Steve

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
. ..
I need to know the legal requirements for someone to call himself a
"Machinist" I have assumed it involved a certification and legitimate
training.

Dave Hinz

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005 22:50:37 +0200, Steve Lusardi wrote:
Tom,
Sounds like a loaded question from someone that doesn't know the business
end of a screwdriver. In answer to your question, No, you assumed wrong. If
there was, it would mean nothing. A machinist is a guy who works at the
trade.

Well...I know guys who don't do it for a living, but who are worthy of
the title "machinist". Me, I'm "a guy with machine tools", and I make
no false pretenses otherwise.

A good machinist is a machinist that machinists with 35 years of
experience call good. If good comes from any other source, the adjective has
no value.

You don't have to be an expert, to recognize an expert. Especially in a
field where quality is hard to fake.

Dave Hinz

Grant Erwin

Never afraid of being wrong and looking stupid, I'm going to step right out on
the banana peel and utter the words: I have never heard of a machinist
certification in the US. There.

GWE
Dave

Tom Gardner (nospam) wrote:
I need to know the legal requirements for someone to call himself
a "Machinist" I have assumed it involved a certification and
legitimate training.

It is merely a job title.

Jeff Wisnia

Grant Erwin wrote:
Never afraid of being wrong and looking stupid, I'm going to step right
out on the banana peel and utter the words: I have never heard of a
machinist certification in the US. There.

GWE

Dunno either, but maybe in the US military?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Robin S.

In Canada we have provincial exams and certificates. It's very common to go
through an apprenticeship and become a certified machinist (or whatever).
The official title is, as I understand it, "Ontario Certified General
Machinist."

In certain countries, the title does have significant meaning. I believe in
Germany there are specific rules about who can work as a trades person, and
who a company needs to hire in order to sell trade services. I think I heard
a company needs to hire a Meister in the trade, and then may hire journeymen
afterwards. But that could be incorrect.

Regards,

Robin

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Never afraid of being wrong and looking stupid, I'm going to step right
out on the banana peel and utter the words: I have never heard of a
machinist certification in the US. There.

GWE

Wayne Lundberg

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
. ..
I need to know the legal requirements for someone to call himself a
"Machinist" I have assumed it involved a certification and legitimate
training.

There are different levels of machinist to tool & die maker. All are based
on union specifications in order to tally ability with pay scales. If
management and the union agree that an apprentice will earn ten bucks an
hour, and a master machinist will earn 40 an hour, then you have a scale
that both parties can agree on.

Since unions in most shops is becoming a non-issue, for example they call
the Boeing assemblers machinists, but they do not machine, they assemble.
But the majority of shops providing parts to be assembled at auto and
aircraft plants are non union and use mostly masters at machining plus some
lever pullers, the whole thing begs to be defined in today's terms but
nobody is going to touch that third rail.

Wayne

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 19:27:46 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom
Gardner" quickly quoth:

I need to know the legal requirements for someone to call himself a
"Machinist" I have assumed it involved a certification and legitimate
training.

Ask any local attorney what they use to determine things like that
for legalities in your area. It should be a freebie call.

--
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
---- --Unknown
michael

Tom Gardner wrote:

I need to know the legal requirements for someone to call himself a
"Machinist" I have assumed it involved a certification and legitimate
training.

Absolutely!

Personally, my legitimate traing is ongoing after 35+ years. 21 of those
as self employed.

And as for certification, ask anyone who knows me. They will tell you
that, yes, I am at least certifiable.

mj