Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Dallas machinist 2, Bad guys 0

SteveB wrote:

"Rex" wrote

I live on a 1-acre lot in an unincorporated section in DFW, very built up
all around me. I always have a pistol in my pocket, and I have one at hand
by my bed, along with a flashlight. You can bet I have a gun and a
flashlight when I get up to check on noises.
Oh, and my wife has a shotgun and a Colt revolver on her side of the
bed.
We live in a very quiet neighborhood, but you can't be too careful.

I live in a quiet place, too at the end of the road. I keep a Remington
pump with 5 00 buck shells in it. On my nightstand is a Ruger 9mm with 17
rounds.

We live in a town of 925, but still there have been two murders in the last
two years. Not a lot of property crime in the rural areas where people are
known to have guns and use them. But a lot of theft in the towns proper
mainly for the tweakers to get money for another fix.

Steve

My girlfriend told me this late last year. It really upset her.

Driving home from work (north east Dallas) - on NorthWest Hiway -
stopped at a light in heavy traffic - she saw two punks pick up
a big piece of concrete and throw it at one of the cars ahead of her.

Then they just walked off.

Random violence - in person.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rex wrote:
Bill wrote:

Yep, that's what I was going to say. A lot of tough talkers in this
group.
But my guess is that most of them would high tail it out the back
door if someone broke into their house during the night.
Confronting someone who you
don't know is armed or not that breaks into your house at night is
either stupid or takes a lot of guts. From experience I know that
most guys don't
have a lot of guts. In fact, it's usually the ones who talk about
what they
would do are the ones who are the first to run when confronted. I
expect all
the yahoos talking about what a great thing it was to kill two
people are just ignorant loudmouths blowing a lot of hot air.
Scratch that, I know it.

Hawke

I live on a 1-acre lot in an unincorporated section in DFW, very built
up all around me. I always have a pistol in my pocket, and I have one
at hand by my bed, along with a flashlight. You can bet I have a gun
and a flashlight when I get up to check on noises.
Oh, and my wife has a shotgun and a Colt revolver on her side of
the bed.
We live in a very quiet neighborhood, but you can't be too careful.

I live in a "bad" neighborhood (four different gangs claim my street) in
Memphis . If you see me , count on my being armed (I also have a carry
permit) . Within reach of my side of the bed are an assault rifle and 100
rounds in strippers , a 12 guage shorty pump , a .45 auto with spare clip ,
a 20 guage bolt loaded with #2 3" mags . And a couple of hold-outs ...
I also have two large dogs , whose main job is to wake me up ... and
harass you until I get there .
Oh and Hawke - I'm also a 'Nam Vet , and no stranger to dead gooks .
--

Snag aka OSG #1
'90 Ultra , "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message
Rex wrote:
Bill wrote:

[...]

Holy cow. No claymores? No howitzers loaded with cannister shot?

They make a nice conversation piece in your foyer, aimed out the door. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message
Rex wrote:
Bill wrote:

[...]

Well , they didn't useta all be loaded . Until the second time the
gangbangers tried to kill me . I don't call the police anymore . I just make
sure when a new face shows up they get warned that I'm armed to the teeth ,
have trained "attack" dogs (actually , family pets that are very protective)
, and would love to introduce them to their maker .
"Don't start none , won't be none ..." is the operative phrase here .
--

Snag aka OSG #1
'90 Ultra , "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message

[...]

Snag, if you're comfortable needing to have three long guns and a handgun
"within reach of your side of the bed," so be it. Personally, I'd move to a
better neighborhood. I'd certainly sleep better.

Another thing: if you've ever let it be known online what your real name is
or where you live, telling the whole world what firearms are loaded and
sitting in your bedroom is not a wise thing to do. It's like posting your
social security number or the combination to your safe.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 22:31:47 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Louis Ohland" wrote in message
Consider what happens in countries without legal protection of property.
Anyone can help themselves to your stuff when they want. Capital formation
is extremely difficult, if not impossible, in those circumstances.

Pffhhht. That has nothing to do with it. You're letting your theories run
away from reality.

Here in NJ you can't shoot someone to protect property. We have no trouble
at all with capital formation.

The whole thing is about philisophical ideas of what is right. In Texas and
other traditional places, their idea of right and wrong is offended if
people can steal property without a chance of getting their guts blown out.
That's fine for them, if that's what they need to keep their rights and
wrongs intact. It also applies in the third world and a few other
backwaters.

But don't try to tell us it's going to affect "capital formation." That's
letting your theories run away with you.

I'm not so sure, Ed. Let's reduce this to its simplest form. You are
"the" banker, I'm your customer. I've been repeatedly robbed or
burgled. My insurance has been canceled. How many times will you lend
me money to retool or restock?

The ones at risk are you, me and the insurance company. I prefer the
perp share some of the risk.

--Andy Asberry--
------Texas-----
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote:
Could you explain to me how 1000 million got to be a Billion?

Only in the US though...

I thought 1000 Million was a Billion everywhere.
Just as 1000 Billion is a Trillion ( at least in the US)
Every 10^3 we have a new name, don't we?
I suppose we should realy use the Killo, Mega, Giga, Tera,
(help me from here on) for things like dollars ($) now. :-)
I'll admit I'm a lot more familiar with the ones going
the other way.
milli, micro, nano, atto, femto.
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news
wrote:

[...]

If you've been repeatedly robbed or burgled, and you come to me for a loan,
I'm not giving you squat -- and I don't care how many guns you have. If your
home or business is located in a place like that, you're radioactive as far
as a bank is concerned.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lew Hartswick" wrote in message
cavelamb himself wrote:
Could you explain to me how 1000 million got to be a Billion?

Only in the US though...

I thought 1000 Million was a Billion everywhere.
Just as 1000 Billion is a Trillion ( at least in the US)
Every 10^3 we have a new name, don't we?
I suppose we should realy use the Killo, Mega, Giga, Tera,
(help me from here on) for things like dollars ($) now. :-)
I'll admit I'm a lot more familiar with the ones going
the other way.
milli, micro, nano, atto, femto.
...lew...

Cavelamb's question stems from this: In the American system, a billion is
10^9 (1 followed by 9 zeros). In the British system, it's 10^12.

He's apparently suggesting that the British system also is used in all other
countries. I don't know one way or the other.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lew Hartswick wrote:
cavelamb himself wrote:

Could you explain to me how 1000 million got to be a Billion?

Only in the US though...

I thought 1000 Million was a Billion everywhere.
Just as 1000 Billion is a Trillion ( at least in the US)
Every 10^3 we have a new name, don't we?

I don't think so - but that's why I was asking.

In Europe 1,000,000,000 is one thousand million.

???

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 23:57:58 -0500, cavelamb himself
wrote:

Ed Huntress wrote:

[...]

Actually, it's the same here is Texas, Ed.

But this was the fellow's home as well, and at night.

That makes it a justifiable act.

Richard

Here in Texas, when night falls, many crimes are bumped up in
severity. Arson and criminal mischief come to mind. Anywhere, not just
a residence.

The Davis Street bridge over I-30 in Arlington is the de facto DMZ
between Lamar and Arlington High Schools. Each paints their taunts on
the bridge. The state posted signs at each end pointing out that it is
criminal mischief to deface state property and sited the code number.

I remember this because I was taking my CHL training at the time and
stopping criminal mischief was one of the things for which deadly
force was justified.

Painting the bridge in daylight was a lessor offense.

--Andy Asberry--
------Texas-----
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote:

Could you explain to me how 1000 million got to be a Billion?

Only in the US though...

I thought 1000 Million was a Billion everywhere.
Just as 1000 Billion is a Trillion ( at least in the US)
Every 10^3 we have a new name, don't we?
I suppose we should realy use the Killo, Mega, Giga, Tera,
(help me from here on) for things like dollars ($) now. :-)
I'll admit I'm a lot more familiar with the ones going
the other way.
milli, micro, nano, atto, femto.
...lew...

Cavelamb's question stems from this: In the American system, a billion is
10^9 (1 followed by 9 zeros). In the British system, it's 10^12.

He's apparently suggesting that the British system also is used in all other
countries. I don't know one way or the other.

--
Ed Huntress

Oh, sorry Ed, didn't see yer post.

Yep, that's the 64 million dollar question...

But I don't know that the Brits managed to export it.
Just that it sure didn't take hold here.

Richard

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"pyotr filipivich" wrote

Her name was ... "Red".

Six foot one, Scot's Texan from San Antonio, fourth generation Army
Brat, first born of a Special Forces NCO, who taught her to shoot before
she started school. I met her at church (my Daddy was just an associate
pastor.).

Yee-haaa!

tschus
pyotr

I hope it wasn't the same "Red" that was nicknamed "BODACIOUS"!

It was tough to stay on for more than seven seconds, but sometimes I
finished and got off quicker than that. ;-)

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote:

[...]

Well, there's a research job for somebody who isn't very busy. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yep, that's what I was going to say. A lot of tough talkers in this
group.
But my guess is that most of them would high tail it out the back
door if someone broke into their house during the night.
Confronting someone who you
don't know is armed or not that breaks into your house at night is
either stupid or takes a lot of guts.

How about we give you a couple of addresses and you try it out?

You forgot to include confidence in your list. Five rounds of 00 buck gives
a man a lot of confidence. And don't give me the argument about being
accurate. With that load, you have a lot of wiggle room. AND the
confidence that many men have from firing thousands of rounds either in
peacetime, practice, or in confrontation.

Confronting someone who you
don't know is armed or not that breaks into your house at night is
either stupid or takes a lot of guts.

No. It's just part of being a real man.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

But that was solved a long time ago in science.
Only in money... Maybe that now.

Science is SI.

And Billion is 10^9.

Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

cavelamb himself wrote:
Could you explain to me how 1000 million got to be a Billion?

Only in the US though...

I thought 1000 Million was a Billion everywhere.
Just as 1000 Billion is a Trillion ( at least in the US)
Every 10^3 we have a new name, don't we?
I suppose we should realy use the Killo, Mega, Giga, Tera,
(help me from here on) for things like dollars ($) now. :-)
I'll admit I'm a lot more familiar with the ones going
the other way.
milli, micro, nano, atto, femto.
...lew...

Cavelamb's question stems from this: In the American system, a billion is
10^9 (1 followed by 9 zeros). In the British system, it's 10^12.

He's apparently suggesting that the British system also is used in all other
countries. I don't know one way or the other.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote:

Could you explain to me how 1000 million got to be a Billion?

Only in the US though...

I thought 1000 Million was a Billion everywhere.
Just as 1000 Billion is a Trillion ( at least in the US)
Every 10^3 we have a new name, don't we?
I suppose we should realy use the Killo, Mega, Giga, Tera,
(help me from here on) for things like dollars ($) now. :-)
I'll admit I'm a lot more familiar with the ones going
the other way.
milli, micro, nano, atto, femto.
...lew...

Cavelamb's question stems from this: In the American system, a billion
is 10^9 (1 followed by 9 zeros). In the British system, it's 10^12.

He's apparently suggesting that the British system also is used in all
other countries. I don't know one way or the other.

--
Ed Huntress

Newsgroups

I have a riend who is a banker in Europe and I have asked him to clarify
the situation. As soon as I receive his answer I'll post it.

Jim Chandler
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
But that was solved a long time ago in science.
Only in money... Maybe that now.

Science is SI.

And Billion is 10^9.

If anyone wants to read about this (and to double-check Wikipedia), the
"short scale" and "long scale" SI names are he

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_and_short_scales

Let us know what you find out.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm out of town myself. A deep setback property.
Well it is 300' off the highway.

My Eastern side neighbor on the highway moved home to a passing Mom
about 6 months ago with her girls. Dad died in a car crash.

Yesterday I drove out and spotted (how could I miss) the local police
car (small town near by) had a small truck blocked in the driveway.
They were in the house so it would seem.

Afterwards like normal - just no one there. Still no information.
hum. I suspect copper hunters gutting out walls and taking
the coils from the air conditioner compressor and inside unit.

Martin

SteveB wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message

[...]

The thing is , our neighborhood wasn't like this a few (OK , 18 is more
than a "few") years ago when we bought this house . Section 8 housing and
the criminal element did us in - a couple of killings and a crack house or
two on a street will absolutely kill your property value . Economics keep me
here for now but we're working to change that . And yeah , you're right
about advertising , probably not the smartest thing .
--

Snag aka OSG #1
'90 Ultra , "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote:

[...]

120,000+ Newsgroups
=----

I have a riend who is a banker in Europe and I have asked him to clarify
the situation. As soon as I receive his answer I'll post it.

Jim Chandler

O.K., here's the "official" info on 1,000,000,000. According to my
friend in France, before about 1960, 1000 million was called a
"milliard". After that time, as he put it, the English speaking world
adopted the term "billion". I hope that helps.

Jim Chandler
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Snag" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message

[...]

I can appreciate that. I'm fortunate that I haven't faced anything like
that, but it's not hard to imagine having trouble creep up on you.

FWIW, I agree with the proposition as Jeffrey Snyder laid it out in his '93
article, "A Nation of Cowards." We have to take care of our own defense and
the defense of our families, and if that means defense with a gun, then
that's what we have to do. What sticks in my craw is that a lot of people
seem to relish having an excuse to be armed to the teeth. And some of them
don't have the sense to put themselves and their families in a safer place.
Life is too short for that, because, no matter how well you're armed,
intentionally putting yourself in such a situation is just pushing up the
dials that determine when your number is going to come up. You can't
outshoot them all and somebody is going to get lucky.

For comparison I live in an ordinary middle-class town of 14,000 people. Our
last murder was 23 years ago and that was a domestic dispute. Before that,
going back to 1906, I think there were two murders. I'd much rather live in
a place like this than in one where people have to put a pistol in their
pocket to take a walk.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 16, 4:51 am, Brent wrote:
I remeber reading someonwhere that texas has a law on the books
specifically PERMITTING the use of force up to and including deadly
force against someone appearing to be stealing your property.

Pretty sure the law on deadly force was recently changed. Yes March.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....30adbc30.html

Prior it included several things in deadly force. One of them was
taking of property with no reasonable expectation of being able to
recover it without the use of deadly force. Also arsen, and a few
others, And! Criminal mischief at night. That was a great one. Don't
know how that changed, or even if it did.

As it stood in 1999
http://www.bakers-legal-pages.com/pc/0942.htm

James Walton's is my neighbor to the North, otherside of I30. Yes he
drinks beer. One of my employees used to go over and sit with him and
tip a few after work. (I don't know what kind. If you're buying, I
don't think he's complaining.) Nice older fellow. Pleasant. Speciality
is refurbing huge old production equipment. We've had some sparse
contact over about 15 years. He has asked me to help him figure out
how to wire up burglar alarms and the like a couple times.

He's had problems for years. He's tried dogs, alarms, everything. He
says it seems like they watch him to see when he leaves to come in.
He's come very close to catching them in the act many times. They'd
strip wires from his big CNC machines, apparently to sell for scrap,
or take something apart to get a chunk of brass. They'd get next to
nothing, but wind up costing him thousands in damages.

On a local news cast I saw he'd called the police on events like this
42 times. I talked to Gary Reaves (WFAA 8 senior reporter) and he said
he had done a piece on Walton, and across the street from us, as they
had a video of an armed robbery of a phone store there. Ah, found it
he
http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dw...1738b911f.html

This is the old neighborhood of Sam Bass and Bonnie & Clyde. Used to
be called Eagle Ford back in their day, before Dallas annexed. Police
response is typically 40 minutes to several hours out there. I've got
a hundred bullet holes in the front of my building, if I've got one. I
once waited for two hours for them to show up after I was in an
exchange of hot lead by a driveby. They never showed. Next day I found
out why. They'd written my 911 call off as a false alarm. I swept up
the 45 lbs. of broken glass out of my doorway and shipped it to the
Mayor of Dallas, asking if that looked like a false alarm to her. If
there's a sad story here, it's that most third world countries are
safer than this part of Dallas, and has been for years, and Dallas
does nothing to change it.

Randy
www.newmicros.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message

But that was solved a long time ago in science.
Only in money... Maybe that now.

Science is SI.

And Billion is 10^9.

If anyone wants to read about this (and to double-check Wikipedia), the
"short scale" and "long scale" SI names are he

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_and_short_scales

Let us know what you find out.

--
Ed Huntress

Well that answers that!

As usual, all it takes is the right question.

Thank you, sir.

Richard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

After a Computer crash and the demise of civilization, it was learned
cavelamb himself wrote on Wed, 17 Oct 2007
16:29:18 -0500 in rec.crafts.metalworking :
pyotr filipivich wrote:

After a Computer crash and the demise of civilization, it was learned
cavelamb himself wrote on Tue, 16 Oct 2007
10:12:04 -0500 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Its in Texas, where " He needed killin" is a valid excuse. Plus no
charges will be filed so its proforma.

I've been informed that the full defense is "He just needed a good
killin'"

And remember, sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. Texas
girls have the right to shoot your cheating heart, ass, or any other
part of you which gets in the path of the bullet. Or shot. [one more
reason that folks down that ways say "Ma'am" a lot. :-) ]
Red headed Texas girls - as dangerous as smoking while setting
charges, but a whole lot more fun!

pyotr

Gee, pyotr, sounds like you've been here.
And had a pretty good time....

Her name was ... "Red".

Six foot one, Scot's Texan from San Antonio, fourth generation Army
Brat, first born of a Special Forces NCO, who taught her to shoot before
she started school. I met her at church (my Daddy was just an associate
pastor.).

Yee-haaa!

tschus
pyotr

Heck, everybody outta try one of those at some time.

Makes a MAN of ya!

Bwahahaha!

I come by this here limp honestly.
--
pyotr filipivich
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est. "

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

After a Computer crash and the demise of civilization, it was learned
"SteveB" wrote on Wed, 17 Oct 2007 16:49:23
-0700 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

"pyotr filipivich" wrote

Her name was ... "Red".

Six foot one, Scot's Texan from San Antonio, fourth generation Army
Brat, first born of a Special Forces NCO, who taught her to shoot before
she started school. I met her at church (my Daddy was just an associate
pastor.).

Yee-haaa!

tschus
pyotr

I hope it wasn't the same "Red" that was nicknamed "BODACIOUS"!

Nope.

It was tough to stay on for more than seven seconds, but sometimes I
finished and got off quicker than that. ;-)

This warn't no rodeo, son, If you couldn't stay the course, there
was not going to be a second chance.

pyotr

Now I'm trying to recollect if there was some kind of booby prize for
coming second. Ack, who cares.
--
pyotr filipivich
Nothing says loving like a bun in the oven.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote:

Could you explain to me how 1000 million got to be a Billion?

Only in the US though...

I thought 1000 Million was a Billion everywhere.
Just as 1000 Billion is a Trillion ( at least in the US)
Every 10^3 we have a new name, don't we?
I suppose we should realy use the Killo, Mega, Giga, Tera,
(help me from here on) for things like dollars ($) now. :-)
I'll admit I'm a lot more familiar with the ones going
the other way.
milli, micro, nano, atto, femto.
...lew...

Cavelamb's question stems from this: In the American system, a billion is
10^9 (1 followed by 9 zeros). In the British system, it's 10^12.

He's apparently suggesting that the British system also is used in all other
countries. I don't know one way or the other.

--
Ed Huntress

OH! I thought it was the Trillion that was different in GB.
Thanks
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb himself wrote:

[...]

You're right; a trillion is different, too. Once it skips a beat at billion,
it's all shifted up one notch.

I think so, anyway. That Wikipedia page I posted explains it, but I didn't
read it.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

Lew Hartswick wrote:
cavelamb himself wrote:
Could you explain to me how 1000 million got to be a Billion?

Only in the US though...

I thought 1000 Million was a Billion everywhere.
Just as 1000 Billion is a Trillion ( at least in the US)
Every 10^3 we have a new name, don't we?

I suggest "Brazilian"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message

Ed Huntress wrote:

"Snag" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Did it ever occur to you, Ed, that not everyone can afford to live in a
place such as you do? It is a lot cheaper to buy a gun than to buy a
house, especially with real estate prices what they are. Moving every
time the neighborhood goes down a bit is like running away from the problem.

Jim Chandler

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

Default Dallas machinist 2, Bad guys 0 UPDATE

70-year old Dallas man has to buy a THIRD shotgun!

Cops keep confiscating his weapons (as evidence) every time he kills a
burglar.

http://www.riehlworldview.com/carniv...-reduced-.html

Reporter on video interview suspended for ambush-style interview:
http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfa...ca_aguilar.php

And the post that started the dust-up:
http://frontburner.dmagazine.com/200...me-with-hitch/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Chandler" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message

Ed Huntress wrote:

"Snag" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Yeah, it did, but I did some research on this subject in the early '90s,
when I was writing editorials about gun control, and found that costs of
living have nothing much to do with it -- unless you're in the position of
someone like Snag, whose neighborhood apparently has deteriorated around him
and he didn't or wasn't able to get out in time. There are safe communities
all over the place just as there are dangerous ones all over. The local
culture, for lack of a better inclusive term, is what determines how likely
you are to need to carry a gun for self-defense.

I can be sympathetic about the problems many people face in this regard, up
to a point. But in the end it boils down to one's set of values. Given the
freedom we have to move about in the US, you have to consider how you value
the safety of your family, and how vigilant you are about the need to make a
move if things start falling apart. Stubbornly hunkering down and arming
yourself is not going to solve the problem. You'll still be living in a
threatening environment and it's going to diminish your family's quality of
life, no matter how good you are with a .45.

It is a lot cheaper to buy a gun than to buy a house, especially with real
estate prices what they are. Moving every time the neighborhood goes down
a bit is like running away from the problem.

As I say, it's all a matter of your values. If you want to put your family
at risk and you think you can always protect them by shooting your way out
of trouble, my first response is that it's going to take so much of your
effort and attention, even if you're always lucky, that you could better put
that effort into finding a safer place for your family to live.

No number of guns is going to balance the equation. Once you find yourself
on a shooting range, you're behind and trying to catch up. That's why you
need the gun in the first place. But you will never catch up on the matter
of your family's relative safety.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 18, 10:07 am, Rex wrote:
http://www.riehlworldview.com/carniv...2007/10/senior...

Did you catch the rye humor, James comment about the new shotgun that
he would hate to have use it already? He felt he was being attacked by
the reporter already at that point.

I think her blocking his exit with her body inside his car door could
be considered false arrest or kidnapping. I've been warned by the
police never to apprehend a criminal for that very reason, unlawful
detention.

Randy

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 18, 10:45 am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
I can be sympathetic about the problems many people face in this regard, up
to a point. But in the end it boils down to one's set of values. Given the
freedom we have to move about in the US, you have to consider how you value
the safety of your family, and how vigilant you are about the need to make a
move if things start falling apart.

Cowardly moving to good neighborhoods is how bad neighborhoods begin.
In both places as it turns out.

Randy

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RMDumse" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 18, 10:45 am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
I can be sympathetic about the problems many people face in this regard,
up
to a point. But in the end it boils down to one's set of values. Given
the
freedom we have to move about in the US, you have to consider how you
value
the safety of your family, and how vigilant you are about the need to
make a
move if things start falling apart.

Cowardly moving to good neighborhoods is how bad neighborhoods begin.
In both places as it turns out.

And we should all be thankful, I suppose, that there are irresponsible
idiots who would put their families in harm's way so they test their luck by
having a shootout with crackheads.

You never know, they may even survive it. But either way it goes, the
shootout is going to improve the gene pool.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:

"Jim Chandler" wrote in message

Ed Huntress wrote:

"Snag" wrote in message
. ..

Ed Huntress wrote:

"Snag" wrote in message

[...]

A good case in point is the area in which I live. When I came here in
1985, at the behest of Uncle Sam, the Victorville, Hesperia, Apple
Valley area was a very nice place. Relatively small and a high
percentage of military. Then after the base closed in 1992 and the
military moved away, the area began to grow with the Los Angeles area
rejects who sold the outhouse for $200,000 and were able to come up here
and buy a nice, new house for $150,000 or so. Unfortunately, they
brought their gang crap and such with them and the entire area's crime
stats have risen steadily since. Unfortunately, I cannot afford to move
from here. I wish I could. If I could, I'd get out of Californicate
and move back to Texas, where I was stationed before this transfer. I am
armed in the house and plan to go after the CCW permit when time allows
me to drive down to San Bernardino to pick up the forms. It is
unfortunate, but it seems that there is nowhere that is "safe", with a
few exceptions, anymore and I sispect that those places will disappear
in the near future. No one ever thought that this area would have
turned out the way it did because the people from "down below" thought
we were in the sticks (we were). Hopefully, the incursion has slowed
with the housing market slump but I still like to be prepared.

Jim
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RMDumse wrote:

On Oct 18, 10:07 am, Rex wrote:

http://www.riehlworldview.com/carniv...2007/10/senior...

Did you catch the rye humor, James comment about the new shotgun that
he would hate to have use it already? He felt he was being attacked by
the reporter already at that point.

I think her blocking his exit with her body inside his car door could
be considered false arrest or kidnapping. I've been warned by the
police never to apprehend a criminal for that very reason, unlawful
detention.

Randy

If it's a criminal, Randy, and you place them under "citizens arrest",
it is not unlawful detention if you witnessed the crime or it is a known
wanted felon. There may be some civil issues but not likely, especially
if the perp is convicted.

Jim Chandler
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Chandler" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:

snip

[...]

I don't know your area so I can't comment. Being prepared is always a good
idea. My problem is with those people who make a fetish out of it, or who
think it's a measure of their manhood to arm themselves to the teeth and
then present themselves as a dare and a challenge.

And there are plenty of those. 'Way too many.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 11:45:01 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ed
Huntress" quickly quoth:

"Jim Chandler" wrote in message
Did it ever occur to you, Ed, that not everyone can afford to live in a
place such as you do?

Yeah, it did, but I did some research on this subject in the early '90s,
when I was writing editorials about gun control, and found that costs of
living have nothing much to do with it -- unless you're in the position of
someone like Snag, whose neighborhood apparently has deteriorated around him
and he didn't or wasn't able to get out in time. There are safe communities
all over the place just as there are dangerous ones all over. The local
culture, for lack of a better inclusive term, is what determines how likely
you are to need to carry a gun for self-defense.

I don't remember if I posted this recently but don't think I did.
Speaking of bad neighborhoods, here ya go, Ed.

--snip--
Jack was sitting in an airliner getting ready for takeoff when a guy
took the seat beside him. The guy was an emotional wreck -- pale,
hands shaking, moaning in fear.

"What's the matter?" Jack asked.

The man said "I've been transfered to New Orleans. There's crazy
people there. They've got lots of shootings, gangs, race riots,
drugs, poor public schools' and the highest crime rate."

Jack replied, "I've lived in New Orleans all my life. It's not as bad
as the media says. Find a nice home go to work, mind your own
business, enroll your kids in a nice private school. It's as safe a
place as anywhere in the world."

The guy relaxed, stopped shaking, and said, "Oh, thank you. I've been
worried to death. But if you live there and say it's OK, I'll take
your word for it.

"What do you do for a living?"

"Me?" said Jack, "I'm a tail gunner on a Budweiser truck."
--snip--

I can be sympathetic about the problems many people face in this regard, up
to a point. But in the end it boils down to one's set of values. Given the
freedom we have to move about in the US, you have to consider how you value
the safety of your family, and how vigilant you are about the need to make a
move if things start falling apart. Stubbornly hunkering down and arming
yourself is not going to solve the problem. You'll still be living in a
threatening environment and it's going to diminish your family's quality of
life, no matter how good you are with a .45.

Too true.

--
History is often stranger than fiction. Fiction has to be plausible.
History is what happens when people don't follow the script.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
[...]

ROFLMAO! Oh, jeez, I've gotta remember that one.

I can be sympathetic about the problems many people face in this regard,
up
to a point. But in the end it boils down to one's set of values. Given the
freedom we have to move about in the US, you have to consider how you
value
the safety of your family, and how vigilant you are about the need to make
move if things start falling apart. Stubbornly hunkering down and arming
yourself is not going to solve the problem. You'll still be living in a
threatening environment and it's going to diminish your family's quality
of
life, no matter how good you are with a .45.

Too true.

--
Ed Huntress

Is there a machinist in the house Terry Home Repair 5 November 8th 06 01:40 AM
The Machinist D Murphy Metalworking 36 December 3rd 05 04:50 PM
Machinist definition Tom Gardner Metalworking 11 October 8th 05 05:05 PM
machinist tutoring williamhenry Metalworking 7 June 4th 05 10:07 PM
Dallas/Fort Worth Machinist Class Vernon Metalworking 1 December 9th 03 01:42 AM