Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lew Hartswick Lew Hartswick is offline

Default Dallas machinist 2, Bad guys 0

Ed Huntress wrote:
"Lew Hartswick" wrote in message

cavelamb himself wrote:

Could you explain to me how 1000 million got to be a Billion?

Only in the US though...

I thought 1000 Million was a Billion everywhere.
Just as 1000 Billion is a Trillion ( at least in the US)
Every 10^3 we have a new name, don't we?
I suppose we should realy use the Killo, Mega, Giga, Tera,
(help me from here on) for things like dollars ($) now. :-)
I'll admit I'm a lot more familiar with the ones going
the other way.
milli, micro, nano, atto, femto.
...lew...

Cavelamb's question stems from this: In the American system, a billion is
10^9 (1 followed by 9 zeros). In the British system, it's 10^12.

He's apparently suggesting that the British system also is used in all other
countries. I don't know one way or the other.

--
Ed Huntress

OH! I thought it was the Trillion that was different in GB.
Thanks
...lew...