Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is there a machinist in the house

I have a gas light that illuminates my driveway. The clips that hold
the glass in the lamp have rusted. The head of the screw has a 3/16
hex head.

I am looking for some clips to replace them. The base for the screws
stick out farther than the glass so the clips have to be offset in to
hold the glass. The existing clips were a very thin metal. The
fixture has ridges that are shaped like the glass to hold most of the
glass. The clips are just to keep pressure on the glass.

Any suggestions on what to use?

They don't make this fixture anymore and the gas company has no idea
where/how to get replacements.

http://i11.tinypic.com/47dr4f6.jpg

The fixtures are weathered. My health has been bad.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Terry wrote:
I have a gas light that illuminates my driveway. The clips that hold
the glass in the lamp have rusted. The head of the screw has a 3/16
hex head.

snip

I am looking for some clips to replace them. The base for the screws
stick out farther than the glass so the clips have to be offset in to
hold the glass. The existing clips were a very thin metal. The
fixture has ridges that are shaped like the glass to hold most of the
glass. The clips are just to keep pressure on the glass.

Any suggestions on what to use?

Remove the clips and screws and discard them. Remove the glass and
clean thoroughly. Clean the frame and wire brush if needed to remove
corrosion and grime. Apply silicone sealant to the frame, press the
glass in place and masking tape it securely until the silicone sets up.
Remove masking tape and clean away excess silicone with razor blade or
whatever. Repair should now be good for another forty years or so. HTH

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

See if you can find the metal screw clips that were used on metal
screen/storm doors. They had knurled screws which are sufficient for keeping
tension on the glass. The newer ones are plastic and don't have screws. Try
a good hardware or a storm door installer. You could "antique" the clips
with hobby paint from a hobby shop or craft department.
If the fixture is in poor shape, consider replacement. They make some
attractive gas fixtures. Your gas company may offer some. Just call them to
find out.

"Terry" wrote in message
I have a gas light that illuminates my driveway. The clips that hold
the glass in the lamp have rusted. The head of the screw has a 3/16
hex head.

I am looking for some clips to replace them. The base for the screws
stick out farther than the glass so the clips have to be offset in to
hold the glass. The existing clips were a very thin metal. The
fixture has ridges that are shaped like the glass to hold most of the
glass. The clips are just to keep pressure on the glass.

Any suggestions on what to use?

They don't make this fixture anymore and the gas company has no idea
where/how to get replacements.

http://i11.tinypic.com/47dr4f6.jpg

The fixtures are weathered. My health has been bad.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Terry wrote:
I have a gas light that illuminates my driveway. The clips that hold
the glass in the lamp have rusted. The head of the screw has a 3/16
hex head.

I am looking for some clips to replace them. The base for the screws
stick out farther than the glass so the clips have to be offset in to
hold the glass. The existing clips were a very thin metal. The
fixture has ridges that are shaped like the glass to hold most of the
glass. The clips are just to keep pressure on the glass.

Any suggestions on what to use?

They don't make this fixture anymore and the gas company has no idea
where/how to get replacements.

http://i11.tinypic.com/47dr4f6.jpg

The fixtures are weathered. My health has been bad.

I'm not sure exactly how these clips are shaped, but banding iron
or strapping is handy for fabrication jobs like these. I'm
talking about the type of steel banding used for shipping on pallets
and heavy crates. You can usually find some for free at a dumpster
behind any industrial or large commercial business. Assuming you have
a drill and some basic hand tools.

--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore, Maryland -

Posted to alt.home.repair

I found these at Home Depot before I got your helpful message, but that
is exactly what I brought home to try. It has been raining all day
today. I will give it a shot tomorrow.

The bracket will be offset backwards to holding a mirror, but I think
it just might work.

Thanks