williamhenry

Default machinist tutoring

what do you think

there are machining hobbyist everday , they all get a lot of help from the
web , magazines and these newsgroups , but how about we create a list of
skilled craftsmen who are willing to perform housecalls
at nights or weekends , how many 2 hour visits would it taker before you
were able to thread , turn part off and such at a reasonable level so you
could continue to build your skills without fighting the

" dont have any frame of reference " blues , i know i would not mind
spending a few nights a month helping someone who would appreciate my
knowledge ,

well what do you think

i am in nashville tn and willing to travel to the surrounding counties if
anybody needs help

Jerry Foster

"williamhenry" wrote in message
. ..

what do you think

there are machining hobbyist everday , they all get a lot of help from the
web , magazines and these newsgroups , but how about we create a list of
skilled craftsmen who are willing to perform housecalls
at nights or weekends , how many 2 hour visits would it taker before you
were able to thread , turn part off and such at a reasonable level so you
could continue to build your skills without fighting the

" dont have any frame of reference " blues , i know i would not mind
spending a few nights a month helping someone who would appreciate my
knowledge ,

well what do you think

i am in nashville tn and willing to travel to the surrounding counties if
anybody needs help

Permit me to offer a suggestion:

Here in the San Jose area, we have several clubs which attract people of
varying skill levels. I helped organize one of them a few years back. We
get together once a month and, if someone has a problem, someone else
usually has a solution. People talk about/show what they've been doing, the
problems they encountered and how they solved them. People often get
together "in between times" to help each other out, borrow an odd-ball tool
or try out a machine before investing in one for themselves. And, looking
at one another's work does provide a "frame of reference...

We started out by "advertising" on this NG, which got the interest of about
a dozen people, most of whom showed up for the first meeting and about half
of whom stayed active. Beyond that, we've gained members, mostly by people
bringing friends along.

Check out any "live steam" clubs in your area. Or there may be people in
woodworking clubs that are trying to branch out into metal. Etc.

There are a lot of folks out there who would appreciate you sharing your
skills. But a lot of them are afraid to ask...

Jerry

williamhenry

I don't know of any metalworking groups in my area , and not looking to join
as my hobbies run to the automotive and computer , the post was more in the
realm of a somewhat maintained list of people that are readily available to
mentor or tutor a new hobbyist who will benefit from someone experienced

this newsgroup and magazines are a great help , a little one on one coaching
can usually provide leas and bounds of skill level

for instance we have a new apprentice at the shop , mechanically inclined ,
have had him running the flywheel lathe and doing some simple jobs on the
surface grinder for about two months , got a hold of him this morning at
6:30 and had him chasing what we consider really nice threads in just a few
hours
by lunch we had threaded standard and metric , precision bored a really
large diameter bearing fit , ground a toolbit for cutting retaining ring
grooves , after lunch he repeated all of the morning exercises
alone and in half the time ., while I cleaned in my tool box , keep in mind
this is on manual machines of dubious quality

Monday we will turn a 3 foot long shaft with several bearing fits and
features , he will be getting a pay raise after one month on the front
lathe and a big raise after a month with no killed work

just a few hours of careful teaching can make the difference between
somebody keeping at this hobby
and regretting ever buying that 9x20 mini lathe

I guess I will build a list , so if your willing to make new friends and
burn off some of your sinning with a few good deeds , send me an email with
your availability times and area of expertise , I personally am looking for
an AutoCAD 2006 tutor

jim rozen

In article , williamhenry says...

just a few hours of careful teaching can make the difference between
somebody keeping at this hobby
and regretting ever buying that 9x20 mini lathe

So true. A close friend of mine moved recently, and sold off his
seneca falls lathe which was in pretty functional shape.
He said he really had no idea how to run it and it was just too
frustrating.

He needed to adjust the play in his motorcycle wheel bearings
which means making a spacer to set the preload. I did this for
him while he was watching, and you could see the wheels going
'round in his head - he was asking all the right questions.

It's no suprise given the amount of 'little fiddly stuff' that
machining requires that apprenticeship was the way it was
always taught. There's only so much that book learning can do
for this kind of skill.

Jim

please reply to:

Gunner

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 19:23:21 -0500, "williamhenry"
wrote:

what do you think

there are machining hobbyist everday , they all get a lot of help from the
web , magazines and these newsgroups , but how about we create a list of
skilled craftsmen who are willing to perform housecalls
at nights or weekends , how many 2 hour visits would it taker before you
were able to thread , turn part off and such at a reasonable level so you
could continue to build your skills without fighting the

" dont have any frame of reference " blues , i know i would not mind
spending a few nights a month helping someone who would appreciate my
knowledge ,

well what do you think

i am in nashville tn and willing to travel to the surrounding counties if
anybody needs help

Im in So. California and the Central Valley. Id be glad to pass on
what little I know.

Gunner

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown
Sunworshipper

On 4 Jun 2005 11:15:54 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:

[...]

I have to fix my Toy and was talking to an auto machine shop and they
said they don't have anybody that knows how to run their crank
grinders. I asked if they would sell them and got an immediate no.
They seemed receptive to train someone, wonder how much I could get
vs. how much it would be worth. Better give me someone that's bright
and can catch on real fast. The place is maybe 2 miles away so it
would be easy to drop by in the afternoon and crack the whip, I mean
show encouraging instructions.
Jerry Foster

"Alex" wrote in message
. com...
Any machinists clubs in San Francisco?

Talk to the guys at Golden Gate Live Steam over at Tilden Park in Oakland
(they're doing an open house this weekend...) or come down to a meeting of
West Valley Live Steam, held in the Orange Room at SLAC (Stanford Linear
Accelerator Center) in Palo Alto on the 4th Friday of the month. One of
them might be what you're looking for or they might know of something else
closer to your interests... Or you could talk to the volunteers doing the
re-build work on the locomotive at Golden Gate Railroad Museum (on the old
Hunter's Point Naval Shipyard in San Francisco). They're usually around on
weekends and might be able to point you to something.

Jerry