williamhenry

I don't know of any metalworking groups in my area , and not looking to join
as my hobbies run to the automotive and computer , the post was more in the
realm of a somewhat maintained list of people that are readily available to
mentor or tutor a new hobbyist who will benefit from someone experienced

this newsgroup and magazines are a great help , a little one on one coaching
can usually provide leas and bounds of skill level

for instance we have a new apprentice at the shop , mechanically inclined ,
have had him running the flywheel lathe and doing some simple jobs on the
surface grinder for about two months , got a hold of him this morning at
6:30 and had him chasing what we consider really nice threads in just a few
hours
by lunch we had threaded standard and metric , precision bored a really
large diameter bearing fit , ground a toolbit for cutting retaining ring
grooves , after lunch he repeated all of the morning exercises
alone and in half the time ., while I cleaned in my tool box , keep in mind
this is on manual machines of dubious quality

Monday we will turn a 3 foot long shaft with several bearing fits and
features , he will be getting a pay raise after one month on the front
lathe and a big raise after a month with no killed work

just a few hours of careful teaching can make the difference between
somebody keeping at this hobby
and regretting ever buying that 9x20 mini lathe

I guess I will build a list , so if your willing to make new friends and
burn off some of your sinning with a few good deeds , send me an email with
your availability times and area of expertise , I personally am looking for
an AutoCAD 2006 tutor