Jerry Foster

"williamhenry" wrote in message
. ..

what do you think

there are machining hobbyist everday , they all get a lot of help from the
web , magazines and these newsgroups , but how about we create a list of
skilled craftsmen who are willing to perform housecalls
at nights or weekends , how many 2 hour visits would it taker before you
were able to thread , turn part off and such at a reasonable level so you
could continue to build your skills without fighting the

" dont have any frame of reference " blues , i know i would not mind
spending a few nights a month helping someone who would appreciate my
knowledge ,

well what do you think

i am in nashville tn and willing to travel to the surrounding counties if
anybody needs help

Permit me to offer a suggestion:

Here in the San Jose area, we have several clubs which attract people of
varying skill levels. I helped organize one of them a few years back. We
get together once a month and, if someone has a problem, someone else
usually has a solution. People talk about/show what they've been doing, the
problems they encountered and how they solved them. People often get
together "in between times" to help each other out, borrow an odd-ball tool
or try out a machine before investing in one for themselves. And, looking
at one another's work does provide a "frame of reference...

We started out by "advertising" on this NG, which got the interest of about
a dozen people, most of whom showed up for the first meeting and about half
of whom stayed active. Beyond that, we've gained members, mostly by people
bringing friends along.

Check out any "live steam" clubs in your area. Or there may be people in
woodworking clubs that are trying to branch out into metal. Etc.

There are a lot of folks out there who would appreciate you sharing your
skills. But a lot of them are afraid to ask...

Jerry