Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Joe is offline

Default Dallas machinist 2, Bad guys 0

Brent wrote:

I remeber reading someonwhere that texas has a law on the books
specifically PERMITTING the use of force up to and including deadly
force against someone appearing to be stealing your property.

The law itself was from the old west and was put in place for cattle
rustling. But i had heard mention of a few repo man getting shot dead
and this law was used to clear the shooter.

Doesn't sound like the law is still on the books from the news article
though.

Brent

When I moved to South Carolina in 1980, there was an article in a local
paper quoting the sheriff of Anderson County saying (in effect) that
anyone who shot and killed an intruder in their house would have their
weapon confiscated while the case was investigated. After the
investigation was completed, the home owner would be cleared and the
weapon would be returned. I suppose the statement served both as a
warning to would-be burglars as well as a notice to homeowners to buy a
second gun to be used in the interim.

Joe