Ivan Vegvary

Default Went to Boeing Surplus (Kent, Washington) today

What a waste of time. Fortunately, my wife is also my best buddy and the
three hour (one way) trip was delightful.

Almost everything (tooling) at Boeing could have been purchased for far less
at ENCO brand new. I realize that some of the drill bits, milling cutters
etc. are a better brand, but, hey, they are used. There were a few machine
tools. 24" metal bandsaw (really beat up, no welder) $ 1900. 24" disc
sanders, looked nice, BUT, $ 1600 used? These things are $ 4-600 at
auctions in the S.F. Bay area.

Used (beat up) Bridgeport milling vise for $ 250! Other (no brand, slightly
bigger) running up to $450.

Crappy (old) Dell laptop computers (Intel 350 mz, 2 gig drives, 10" screen)
selling for $650? Plus an additional $50 if you want the Dell 'restore
disk' and an operating system.

Video monitor cables for $ 15? My local mom-n-pop store sells them for $ 8.

Oh well, it's like going to Mecca. In one's lifetime everybody has to go
once.

GOOD NEWS!! On our way out of Oregon, in the City of Gresham we noticed a
sign that said "Harbor Freight Coming Soon". It was on Hogan road next to
BiMart. This will save me 30 minutes of driving.

Ivan Vegvary
Sandy, Oregon

lane

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
[...]

A couple of years ago it was a nice place to shop. Now the prices have gone
up and the selection down. I don't go there nearly as often as I used to,
and I'm only an hour away. I know Ernie knows some people who work there.
Maybe he will chime in with his observations.

Lane

DanG

My wife had a convention in Seattle 2 years ago. Because of what
I read here, I was dead set on getting to at least see this place.

Thank the good Lord, the rental car had unlimited mileage so I was
only out the fuel cost and the time. Repeat. What a waste of
time.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing. . . .
DanG

[...]

Walter Babb

I have been trying to find out what happened with the place. Beside pricing,
the availability of "Stuff" just isn't like it used to be. Used to get
aluminum stock, end mills and the odd large drill bit there. No longer.
A sad state of affairs.
[...]

ED

Lean Manufacturing and increased use of subcontractors to fabricate major
assemblies. There simply isn't alot of wasted material at boeing anymore,
subcons are under great insentive to work lean with minimum waste.

After I got laid off I realised that boeing doesn't want to build planes,
they only want to design and sell them.

$
8.

Oh well, it's like going to Mecca. In one's lifetime everybody has to

go
once.

GOOD NEWS!! On our way out of Oregon, in the City of Gresham we noticed

sign that said "Harbor Freight Coming Soon". It was on Hogan road next

BiMart. This will save me 30 minutes of driving.

Ivan Vegvary
Sandy, Oregon

Ernie Leimkuhler

In article , lane
lane_nospam@copperaccents_dot_com wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately it is the nature of modern production.
Boeing makes less so they have less to get rid of.
They are no longer a aircraft builder.
They are a aircraft assembler.

15 years ago there were 485 welding machines in use in Boeing's western
Washington operations.
Currently there are 72.

They do more just-in-time-shipping of parts and materiels, which means
less stockpiling and over-purchasing of parts and materiels.

The prices started climbing because when Condit took over he decided
that the Surplus operations had to be profitable, not a write-off.
So instead of being an expedient way to dispose of stuff they didn't
want or need, sometimes at a loss, it had to at least pay for it's own
operating costs.

There is still some good stuff to be had there, but you have to go all
the time.
I know what to look for, and I still find stuff on most trips, but it
is getting harder and harder.
I would say we have about 5 years left before it is no longer
worthwhile to run Boeing Surplus.

My goal is to get as much stuff as posible from them for my school
before that happens.
Harold & Susan Vordos

[...]

Yep. Waste of time in my opinion. You have to frequent the place way too
often to find anything worth having. I'd heard a lot about the place, too,
but have been pretty much disappointed with the two times I drove there.

How do you like your new digs? Getting comfortable in Oregon?

Next time you're up our way, stop by for a cup of coffee and a piece of home
made pie, Ivan. We're a short 15 miles from the freeway at exit 71 in
Washington.

Harold

David

Asia, Inc. magazine issue back in 1994 (i think it was 1994 or 1993) ran an
article about Boeing's operations in China. Not just Boeing but McDD (then).
If companies are spending less here does it mean that we have to make more
of our own stuff and, therefore, spend less as well?

[...]

AZOTIC

If companies are spending less here does it mean that we have to make more of
our own stuff and, therefore, spend less as well?

Unfortunatley most of todays young people do not have
the knowledge or skills to make thier own stuff.

Best Regards
Tom.

Politians are like diapers and should be changed
often for the same reason.

Dan Caster

There are still things worth buying, but much less than used to be
there. The quick change drills by the lb are a good deal, but one
only needs a few lbs of those. If you can find a tap or die that is
in good shape....... I always check out the files and maybe find one
or two that are good. And sometimes one finds something that has
never been there all the other times you looked. Or something like
the new 1 hp 3 phase inverter rated motors that had been there a year
at $75 each and were marked down to $10 while I was standing there.

Dan

[...]

Denny West

The best buys at Boeing are the office furniture and the raw materials- all
types of aluminum alloys. Also the specialized cutting tools- counterbores,
hole saws etc- mostly re-sharpened and of top quality- far better than the
import stuff. Also the computer re-cycling- desktops with 17" screens for
75.00. Not much in the way of lathes, mills etc.
[...]

Grant Erwin

Surplus used to sell 7.5hp 3phase motors routinely for $20 (I know, I
bought several) but nowadays they want $150. F**k 'em!

They are still useful for air fittings. I have a lifetime supply of the
good ones, can't remember the brand now. Anyway, to disconnect them you
have to turn-pull-turn, and they release the air gently. They are also good
for those swiveling hoist rings, and as far as I know they still sell new
safety glasses for 25¢. But I'm all stocked up on those things. I don't go
there much anymore.

Grant

Dan Caster wrote:

There are still things worth buying, but much less than used to be
there. The quick change drills by the lb are a good deal, but one
only needs a few lbs of those. If you can find a tap or die that is
in good shape....... I always check out the files and maybe find one
or two that are good. And sometimes one finds something that has
never been there all the other times you looked. Or something like
the new 1 hp 3 phase inverter rated motors that had been there a year
at $75 each and were marked down to $10 while I was standing there.

PrecisionMachinisT

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message

"Denny West" wrote in message
link.net...

What a waste of time. Fortunately, my wife is also my best buddy and

the
three hour (one way) trip was delightful.

The best buys at Boeing are the office furniture and the raw materials-

all
types of aluminum alloys. Also the specialized cutting tools-

counterbores,
hole saws etc- mostly re-sharpened and of top quality- far better than the
import stuff.

Shhh!!!!

SVL

Bob Powell

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message ...
What a waste of time. Fortunately, my wife is also my best buddy and the
three hour (one way) trip was delightful.

Surplus:

(a) You gotta learn to want what they have to sell :-)

(b) Learn the layout, be there at opening, the bargains (and there are
still plenty) sell within 5 minutes, what you see at 2 PM is the junk
that sits there for years. Even when in the area, I rarely bother if
I can't be there at opening.

(c) Shop frequently, of course easier said than done.

I used to stop (at opening) a couple times a week on the way to work
and the cumulative haul represents some of the best stuff in my shop,
quality industrial tools and materials I would not or could not have
bought otherwise. No regrets today for buying questionable stuff 10
years ago, that I haven't seen there since.

Yes, it was much better in the 90's, and better still in the 80's.

Bob
Marty Escarcega

Grant Erwin wrote in
:

Surplus used to sell 7.5hp 3phase motors routinely for $20 (I know, I
bought several) but nowadays they want $150. F**k 'em!

They are still useful for air fittings. I have a lifetime supply of
the good ones, can't remember the brand now. Anyway, to disconnect
them you have to turn-pull-turn, and they release the air gently. They
are also good for those swiveling hoist rings, and as far as I know
they still sell new safety glasses for 25¢. But I'm all stocked up on
those things. I don't go there much anymore.

Grant

Gee, if someone goes there and finds the .25 safety glasses, someone pick
up a dozen for me and mail em? Be happy to reimburse. I like having them
laying all over the place, next to every machine would be best. Then there
is no excuse not to wear them.

Marty
Mesa, AZ

Joel Corwith

"Marty Escarcega" wrote in message
Grant Erwin wrote in
:

[...]

HomeDepo cleared out their combination safety glasses / earmuffs a while
back. I bought 4 sets at $5. Anytime I go to do anything I turn around and
grab some hearing protection now. Just check for black widows first

Joel. phx

Phil Dumpster

Dan Caster wrote:

There are still things worth buying, but much less than used to be
there. The quick change drills by the lb are a good deal, but one
only needs a few lbs of those. If you can find a tap or die that is
in good shape....... I always check out the files and maybe find one
or two that are good. And sometimes one finds something that has
never been there all the other times you looked. Or something like
the new 1 hp 3 phase inverter rated motors that had been there a year
at $75 each and were marked down to $10 while I was standing there.

Dan

Quick change drills that used to be $1.25 a pound are now $5 per pound.

Xuron cutters which used to sell for $.50 a pair now sell for $3. New ones
are $12 and haven't been abused by cutting steel wire like the ones Boeing is
selling.

There are occasional deals, such as electrical wire which is still $1.25 a lb.

I miss the days when they had all kinds of computer equipment at virtually
give-away prices. I bought my first modem there back in 1985 for $3, it was a
Livermore Data Systems 300 bps acoustic.

If you want machine tool deals, forget about Boeing and go to the local
industrial auctions like James G. Murphy in Kenmore. I bought my Axelson lathe
there for $500 a couple years ago. Came with 3 and 4 jaw chucks, a face plate,
a steady rest, boring bar, tool holders, etc.

http://www.murphyauction.com
Phil Dumpster

Phil Dumpster wrote:

If you want machine tool deals, forget about Boeing and go to the local
industrial auctions like James G. Murphy in Kenmore. I bought my Axelson lathe
there for $500 a couple years ago. Came with 3 and 4 jaw chucks, a face plate,
a steady rest, boring bar, tool holders, etc.

http://www.murphyauction.com

Make that...

http://www.murphyauctions.net

Sorry for the wrong link.
pyotr filipivich

A city wide blackout at Wed, 4 Feb 2004 19:13:45 -0800 did not prevent "lane"
lane_nospam@copperaccents_dot_com from posting to rec.crafts.metalworking
the following:
A couple of years ago it was a nice place to shop. Now the prices have gone
up and the selection down.

Boeing is getting out of the manufacturing biz. When you don't make it,
you don't have "surplus."
I found some "neat" stuff there, but then again, I hi it the week they were
half-pricing the "scrap" metal. Aluminum for 80 cents a pound - such a deal!

--
pyotr filipivich.

Jim Stewart

pyotr filipivich wrote:

A city wide blackout at Wed, 4 Feb 2004 19:13:45 -0800 did not prevent "lane"
lane_nospam@copperaccents_dot_com from posting to rec.crafts.metalworking
the following:

A couple of years ago it was a nice place to shop. Now the prices have gone
up and the selection down.

Boeing is getting out of the manufacturing biz. When you don't make it,
you don't have "surplus."
I found some "neat" stuff there, but then again, I hi it the week they were
half-pricing the "scrap" metal. Aluminum for 80 cents a pound - such a deal!

Are you kidding me? The everyday price is $1.60 a pound?

I pay $1.00/pound, minus the $1.25/pound I get for the
empty soda cans I bring in.

Toolbert

"DougR" wrote in message
om...

Speaking of deals at Boeing Surplus.....

Yesterday, Saturday 2-07, I saw a pallet of new three phase
transformers, 240 to 480. No prices on them, but another nearby
pallet had a similar, but larger one marked $35. No KVA rating
visible, but far too heavy to pickup.

Got so excited about a couple other deals on some tooling I forgot to
get one. Oh well, I guess I'll swing by on Wednesday for one and some
more good deals.

'Saw a pallet of transformers there yesterday, I think three units, each
unit was a 3 phase delta 480 delta to 208 wye, rated 9 KVA and marked I
think 260 lbs weight. The actual marking was something weird like 460 in,
197 out that is essentially the same thing. Only saw one pallet. The 480
to 208 would not be useful for boosting a phase converter output to 480 on
account of the phase converter output being 240 not 208. Not without a
buck setup on the input that would likely defeat any cost benefit. Bob

pyotr filipivich

Default Price of "scrap" was Went to Boeing Surplus (Kent, Washington) today

A city wide blackout at Sun, 08 Feb 2004 14:28:22 -0800 did not prevent Jim
Stewart from posting to rec.crafts.metalworking the
following:
pyotr filipivich wrote:

A city wide blackout at Wed, 4 Feb 2004 19:13:45 -0800 did not prevent "lane"
lane_nospam@copperaccents_dot_com from posting to rec.crafts.metalworking
the following:

A couple of years ago it was a nice place to shop. Now the prices have gone
up and the selection down.

Boeing is getting out of the manufacturing biz. When you don't make it,
you don't have "surplus."
I found some "neat" stuff there, but then again, I hi it the week they were
half-pricing the "scrap" metal. Aluminum for 80 cents a pound - such a deal!

Are you kidding me? The everyday price is $1.60 a pound?

At Boeing Surplus, for aircraft aluminum "scrap", yeah, they're asking and
getting $1.60 US a pound.

I pay $1.00/pound, minus the $1.25/pound I get for the
empty soda cans I bring in.

Where are you getting $1.25 a pound for pop cans? Best I've been able to
do is 33 cents.

--
pyotr filipivich.
Martin H. Eastburn

Phil Dumpster wrote:

Phil Dumpster wrote:

If you want machine tool deals, forget about Boeing and go to the local
industrial auctions like James G. Murphy in Kenmore. I bought my Axelson lathe
there for $500 a couple years ago. Came with 3 and 4 jaw chucks, a face plate,
a steady rest, boring bar, tool holders, etc.

http://www.murphyauction.com

Make that...

http://www.murphyauctions.net

Sorry for the wrong link.

Both direct to the same site.
They likely registered a number of them at once.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer