Phil Dumpster

Default Went to Boeing Surplus (Kent, Washington) today

Dan Caster wrote:

There are still things worth buying, but much less than used to be
there. The quick change drills by the lb are a good deal, but one
only needs a few lbs of those. If you can find a tap or die that is
in good shape....... I always check out the files and maybe find one
or two that are good. And sometimes one finds something that has
never been there all the other times you looked. Or something like
the new 1 hp 3 phase inverter rated motors that had been there a year
at $75 each and were marked down to $10 while I was standing there.

Dan

Quick change drills that used to be $1.25 a pound are now $5 per pound.

Xuron cutters which used to sell for $.50 a pair now sell for $3. New ones
are $12 and haven't been abused by cutting steel wire like the ones Boeing is
selling.

There are occasional deals, such as electrical wire which is still $1.25 a lb.

I miss the days when they had all kinds of computer equipment at virtually
give-away prices. I bought my first modem there back in 1985 for $3, it was a
Livermore Data Systems 300 bps acoustic.

If you want machine tool deals, forget about Boeing and go to the local
industrial auctions like James G. Murphy in Kenmore. I bought my Axelson lathe
there for $500 a couple years ago. Came with 3 and 4 jaw chucks, a face plate,
a steady rest, boring bar, tool holders, etc.

http://www.murphyauction.com