Dan Caster

Default Went to Boeing Surplus (Kent, Washington) today

There are still things worth buying, but much less than used to be
there. The quick change drills by the lb are a good deal, but one
only needs a few lbs of those. If you can find a tap or die that is
in good shape....... I always check out the files and maybe find one
or two that are good. And sometimes one finds something that has
never been there all the other times you looked. Or something like
the new 1 hp 3 phase inverter rated motors that had been there a year
at $75 each and were marked down to $10 while I was standing there.

Dan

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message ...
What a waste of time. Fortunately, my wife is also my best buddy and the
three hour (one way) trip was delightful.

Almost everything (tooling) at Boeing could have been purchased for far less
at ENCO brand new. I realize that some of the drill bits, milling cutters
etc. are a better brand, but, hey, they are used. There were a few machine
tools. 24" metal bandsaw (really beat up, no welder) $ 1900. 24" disc
sanders, looked nice, BUT, $ 1600 used? These things are $ 4-600 at
auctions in the S.F. Bay area.

Used (beat up) Bridgeport milling vise for $ 250! Other (no brand, slightly
bigger) running up to $450.

Crappy (old) Dell laptop computers (Intel 350 mz, 2 gig drives, 10" screen)
selling for $650? Plus an additional $50 if you want the Dell 'restore
disk' and an operating system.

Video monitor cables for $ 15? My local mom-n-pop store sells them for $ 8.

Oh well, it's like going to Mecca. In one's lifetime everybody has to go
once.

GOOD NEWS!! On our way out of Oregon, in the City of Gresham we noticed a
sign that said "Harbor Freight Coming Soon". It was on Hogan road next to
BiMart. This will save me 30 minutes of driving.

Ivan Vegvary
Sandy, Oregon