Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
tonyp

Default "Dual drill" -- opinions? experience?

Saw this thing advertised on (late night) TV yesterday.

https://www.tvgoods.com/carts/dualdr...k=dual%20drill

It's a cordless drill with a 2-chuck turret on it. It _seems_ like a good
idea: drill bit in one chuck, driver bit in the other, for instance. Flip
from one to the other to install a bunch of woodscrews quickly, say.

I never saw such a thing before, and I wonder why they're advertising on TV
specifically. Is this a totally new thing, or just new to the home-owner
market?

Does anybody here own one? If so, is it _worth_ $140 or so? Is there an
industrial version? And who _is_ "Mansfield Power Tools"?

Like I say, it _seems_ like a good idea ...

-- TP

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ph17314

Let the lawsuits begin!!!!!!

https://www.tvgoods.com/carts/dualdr...1&k=dual%20dri
ll

It's a cordless drill with a 2-chuck turret on it. It _seems_ like a good
idea: drill bit in one chuck, driver bit in the other, for instance.

Flip
from one to the other to install a bunch of woodscrews quickly, say.

I never saw such a thing before, and I wonder why they're advertising on

TV
specifically. Is this a totally new thing, or just new to the home-owner
market?

Does anybody here own one? If so, is it _worth_ $140 or so? Is there an
industrial version? And who _is_ "Mansfield Power Tools"?

Like I say, it _seems_ like a good idea ...

-- TP

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ecnerwal

In article ,
"tonyp" wrote:

I never saw such a thing before,

It's what the old folks used to call a gimmick...

and I wonder why they're advertising on TV specifically.

Seeking suckers. Likely means you'd keep your $140 in your pocket if you
could handle the tool before plunking down money. Only real question is
whether they are paying $14 or $1.40 to have this thing made. Given it's
a TV product, you can generally find the actual price they pay by
looking for the shipping and handling charge - that, minus any actual
cost of shipping, is usually what the thing cost them, which is why they
are happy to have you buy it and return it for a full refund, less the
shipping and handling.

Does anybody here own one? If so, is it _worth_ $140 or so? Is there an
industrial version? And who _is_ "Mansfield Power Tools"?

At a guess, another Chinese company with an American city (or state)
prominently in the name, for help in fleecing the foolish. [I'm
supporting those nice folks in Mansfield with my business! Oops, says
here in 0.04 point type, "Hecho in Chine"... now why didn't the nice
honest folk on the TV ad mention that?]

If you want a drill and driver all chucked up at the same time, wander
into Wally's Freaking Mart and plunk down $30 each for a pair of cheap
drills - then at least you'll have a source of spare parts, two
batteries, two chargers, and an extra $80 in your bank account. If you
want quality, do the same thing at a higher class establishment for
drills not made in China.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RAM^3

"tonyp" wrote in message

Saw this thing advertised on (late night) TV yesterday.

https://www.tvgoods.com/carts/dualdr...k=dual%20drill

It's a cordless drill with a 2-chuck turret on it. It _seems_ like a good
idea: drill bit in one chuck, driver bit in the other, for instance.
Flip
from one to the other to install a bunch of woodscrews quickly, say.

I never saw such a thing before, and I wonder why they're advertising on
TV
specifically. Is this a totally new thing, or just new to the home-owner
market?

Does anybody here own one? If so, is it _worth_ $140 or so? Is there an
industrial version? And who _is_ "Mansfield Power Tools"?

Like I say, it _seems_ like a good idea ...

-- TP

A good idea? I, for one, don't think so.

Consider: for the money you'd spend on this bizarre masterpiece of consumer
consumption you can buy 2 (perhaps more) equivalent cordless drills that
would enable you to work twice as long between battery charges or 1 REALLY
GOOD drill that'd hold up 10 times as long and do more than twice the work.

IMO it's just another gimmick in the same class as all of the other
Informercial Specials - you know what I mean.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 19:28:46 -0500, the renowned "tonyp"
wrote:

Saw this thing advertised on (late night) TV yesterday.

https://www.tvgoods.com/carts/dualdr...k=dual%20drill

It's a cordless drill with a 2-chuck turret on it. It _seems_ like a good
idea: drill bit in one chuck, driver bit in the other, for instance. Flip
from one to the other to install a bunch of woodscrews quickly, say.

I never saw such a thing before, and I wonder why they're advertising on TV
specifically. Is this a totally new thing, or just new to the home-owner
market?

Does anybody here own one? If so, is it _worth_ $140 or so? Is there an
industrial version? And who _is_ "Mansfield Power Tools"?

Like I say, it _seems_ like a good idea ...

-- TP

Mansfield Power Tools appears to be a Danish company.

http://opfind.teknologisk.dk/15177

I'm guessing here, but maybe the above abstract says something like
that it started as a school project by Mr. Steen Mandsfelt Eriksen in
'92 and now production is coming out of a factory in China.

Perhaps someone here reads Danish and can confirm or refute.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Does anybody here own one? If so, is it _worth_ $140 or so? Is there an
industrial version? And who _is_ "Mansfield Power Tools"?

Like I say, it _seems_ like a good idea ...

-- TP

Mansfield Power Tools appears to be a Danish company.

http://opfind.teknologisk.dk/15177

I'm guessing here, but maybe the above abstract says something like
that it started as a school project by Mr. Steen Mandsfelt Eriksen in
'92 and now production is coming out of a factory in China.

Perhaps someone here reads Danish and can confirm or refute.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

The manufacturer appears to be "Kinpow Industry Co., Ltd."
http://kinpow.en.alibaba.com/product/50049535/50226274/Cordless_Dual_Drill.html

This site has some (not so favorable) reviews..
http://www.infomercialratings.com/product/dual_drill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
carl mciver

"tonyp" wrote in message

| Saw this thing advertised on (late night) TV yesterday.

https://www.tvgoods.com/carts/dualdr...1&k=dual%20dri
ll

| It's a cordless drill with a 2-chuck turret on it. It _seems_ like a good
| idea: drill bit in one chuck, driver bit in the other, for instance.
Flip
| from one to the other to install a bunch of woodscrews quickly, say.
|
| I never saw such a thing before, and I wonder why they're advertising on
TV
| specifically. Is this a totally new thing, or just new to the home-owner
| market?
|
| Does anybody here own one? If so, is it _worth_ $140 or so? Is there an
| industrial version? And who _is_ "Mansfield Power Tools"?
|
| Like I say, it _seems_ like a good idea ...
|
| -- TP

I have an inexpensive cordless drill whose chuck comes off to expose a
two inch hex drive bit. Takes up a whole lot less space and worth a whole
lot more to me than that. It was a good bit less than $120, too!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia

tonyp wrote:

Saw this thing advertised on (late night) TV yesterday.

https://www.tvgoods.com/carts/dualdr...k=dual%20drill

It's a cordless drill with a 2-chuck turret on it. It _seems_ like a good
idea: drill bit in one chuck, driver bit in the other, for instance. Flip
from one to the other to install a bunch of woodscrews quickly, say.

I never saw such a thing before, and I wonder why they're advertising on TV
specifically. Is this a totally new thing, or just new to the home-owner
market?

Does anybody here own one? If so, is it _worth_ $140 or so? Is there an
industrial version? And who _is_ "Mansfield Power Tools"?

Like I say, it _seems_ like a good idea ...

-- TP

I've had one of these Craftsman "Speed-Lok" sets for years and it is
quite handy when I've got a bunch of wood screws to drill holes for and
then drive.

Just slip out the business part, flip it over and snap it back in to
change from a drill/countersink to a screwdriver bit.

http://tinyurl.com/ct9s5

A heck of a lot cheaper than that monstrosity of a drill/driver.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote: (clip) Just slip out the business part, flip it over
and snap it back in to change from a drill/countersink to a screwdriver
bit.
http://tinyurl.com/ct9s5 (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jeff, I went to that link, and evidently Sears is closing them out at a
reduced price, so, based on your recommendation, I ordered one.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 19:28:46 -0500, "tonyp"
wrote:

Saw this thing advertised on (late night) TV yesterday.

https://www.tvgoods.com/carts/dualdr...k=dual%20drill

It's a cordless drill with a 2-chuck turret on it. It _seems_ like a good
idea: drill bit in one chuck, driver bit in the other, for instance. Flip
from one to the other to install a bunch of woodscrews quickly, say.

I never saw such a thing before, and I wonder why they're advertising on TV
specifically. Is this a totally new thing, or just new to the home-owner
market?

Does anybody here own one? If so, is it _worth_ $140 or so? Is there an
industrial version? And who _is_ "Mansfield Power Tools"?

Like I say, it _seems_ like a good idea ...

-- TP

Hey Gang,

Does anybody else think they got the idea from the www.webelz.com site
that was shown a few days back?? Or vice-versa?

VBG

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 19:28:46 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
"tonyp" quickly quoth:

Saw this thing advertised on (late night) TV yesterday.

https://www.tvgoods.com/carts/dualdr...k=dual%20drill

You shouldn't watch TV, Tony. It's full of ads, CSPAN, and other
horrible, nasty, evil things.

It's a cordless drill with a 2-chuck turret on it. It _seems_ like a good
idea: drill bit in one chuck, driver bit in the other, for instance. Flip
from one to the other to install a bunch of woodscrews quickly, say.

I never saw such a thing before, and I wonder why they're advertising on TV
specifically. Is this a totally new thing, or just new to the home-owner
market?

Advertising on TV allows advertisers to sucker-in more people at once.
Check your local Dollar Store or Big Lots. Things on TV usually end up
there within 4 months of their TV debut...at 1/4 the price.

Does anybody here own one? If so, is it _worth_ $140 or so? Is there an
industrial version? And who _is_ "Mansfield Power Tools"?

Like I say, it _seems_ like a good idea ...

"Free lifetime battery replacement" will probably mean that the
company will be bankrupt (or dissolve) in less than 3 years, _before_
they have to replace any.

Never attempt to traverse a chasm in two leaps
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman

"Larry Jaques" wrote: "Free lifetime battery replacement" will probably
mean that the company will be bankrupt (or dissolve) in less than 3 years,
_before_ they have to replace any.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I watched a very appealing TV ad for an electric toothbrush, and I was about
to order one, when they finished their *incredible* offer by saying that it
included a free replacement for the brush head every few months *for life.*
So I didn't order.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
tonyp

"Larry Jaques" wrote

You shouldn't watch TV, Tony. It's full of ads, CSPAN, and other
horrible, nasty, evil things.

Now, now, Larry. If not for C-SPAN, I would not own a TV. I may be the
only person in the universe who actually enjoyed watching the Alito hearings
:-)

As for that dual drill, the consensus is about what I expected:
1) It's a cheap piece of Chinese crap, and
2) It's not a very good idea anyway, so
3) It's just a gimmick.
I kinda wondered, myself, if Ron Popeil was behind it somehow.

It's too bad, in a way. Somebody _might_ have a good idea for a new tool
someday, and be quixotic enough to want to manufacture in the US and
bootstrap it into a business. But trying to sell it on TV would probably
work against him, since we all have been conditioned to be suspicious of TV

Advertising on TV allows advertisers to sucker-in more people at once.
Check your local Dollar Store or Big Lots. Things on TV usually end up
there within 4 months of their TV debut...at 1/4 the price.

Right. Except maybe for the other wacky thing I saw advertised on TV
recently: an electric(!) log-splitter(!!) for the yuppie-home-owner market.
Surplus inventory on _that_ one will probably have to be parted out.

"Free lifetime battery replacement" will probably mean that the
company will be bankrupt (or dissolve) in less than 3 years, _before_
they have to replace any.

"Lifetime" is certainly one of the slipperiest of weasel words, isn't it :-)

-- TP

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ecnerwal

In article
,
"Leo Lichtman" wrote:

I watched a very appealing TV ad for an electric toothbrush, and I was about
to order one, when they finished their *incredible* offer by saying that it
included a free replacement for the brush head every few months *for life.*
So I didn't order.

That one's easy, Leo. It's "free", but you pay "shipping and handling",
which is to say that it's not "free" at all, and the "shipping and
handling charge" is not actually applied solely to shipping and
handling, which is false and deceptive advertising, etc. Good call on
not ordering it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"Jeff Wisnia" wrote: (clip) Just slip out the business part, flip it over
and snap it back in to change from a drill/countersink to a screwdriver
bit.
http://tinyurl.com/ct9s5 (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jeff, I went to that link, and evidently Sears is closing them out at a
reduced price, so, based on your recommendation, I ordered one.

I think you'll like it. It has that quality feel to it I used to get on
most all Craftsman tools.

The drill bits are replaceable. if you snap one, they slide into bores
in the countersink cutters and are retained with a setscrew. The drill
bits which come with the set have a long flat on their shanks for the
setscrew to bottom against and thus let you adjust the amount they
project beyond the countersink. I found it pretty easy to grind workable
flats onto standard drill shanks when I need a replacement..

And a real user friendly feature is the allen wrench for those setscrews
sunk into the end of the tool shank which goes in the the drill chuck.
So, you always know where it is.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 16:48:44 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Leo
Lichtman" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote: "Free lifetime battery replacement" will probably
mean that the company will be bankrupt (or dissolve) in less than 3 years,
_before_ they have to replace any.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I watched a very appealing TV ad for an electric toothbrush, and I was about
to order one, when they finished their *incredible* offer by saying that it
included a free replacement for the brush head every few months *for life.*
So I didn't order.

"FREE" means only $7.95 to ship the 0.63 ounce brush to you 4 times a
year. $31.80 shipping for 4 free $1 brushes. Sucha deal!

Never attempt to traverse a chasm in two leaps
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 14:50:43 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
"tonyp" quickly quoth:

"Lifetime" is certainly one of the slipperiest of weasel words, isn't it :-)

Yeah, and I remember going to Searz twice or more every week (with
bandages on body parts) to replace broken Crapsman tools back in the
late 70s. Lifetime warranty on ****ty parts IS NOT A GOOD DEAL!
Caveat emptor.

Never attempt to traverse a chasm in two leaps
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 14:50:43 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
"tonyp" quickly quoth:

"Lifetime" is certainly one of the slipperiest of weasel words, isn't it :-)

Yeah, and I remember going to Searz twice or more every week (with
bandages on body parts) to replace broken Crapsman tools back in the
late 70s. Lifetime warranty on ****ty parts IS NOT A GOOD DEAL!
Caveat emptor.

Never attempt to traverse a chasm in two leaps
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design

Its a great product!

Buy it!

If you are a retard.