Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ecnerwal

Default "Dual drill" -- opinions? experience?

In article ,
"tonyp" wrote:

I never saw such a thing before,

It's what the old folks used to call a gimmick...

and I wonder why they're advertising on TV specifically.

Seeking suckers. Likely means you'd keep your $140 in your pocket if you
could handle the tool before plunking down money. Only real question is
whether they are paying $14 or $1.40 to have this thing made. Given it's
a TV product, you can generally find the actual price they pay by
looking for the shipping and handling charge - that, minus any actual
cost of shipping, is usually what the thing cost them, which is why they
are happy to have you buy it and return it for a full refund, less the
shipping and handling.

Does anybody here own one? If so, is it _worth_ $140 or so? Is there an
industrial version? And who _is_ "Mansfield Power Tools"?

At a guess, another Chinese company with an American city (or state)
prominently in the name, for help in fleecing the foolish. [I'm
supporting those nice folks in Mansfield with my business! Oops, says
here in 0.04 point type, "Hecho in Chine"... now why didn't the nice
honest folk on the TV ad mention that?]

If you want a drill and driver all chucked up at the same time, wander
into Wally's Freaking Mart and plunk down $30 each for a pair of cheap
drills - then at least you'll have a source of spare parts, two
batteries, two chargers, and an extra $80 in your bank account. If you
want quality, do the same thing at a higher class establishment for
drills not made in China.