Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
tonyp

Default "Dual drill" -- opinions? experience?

"Larry Jaques" wrote

You shouldn't watch TV, Tony. It's full of ads, CSPAN, and other
horrible, nasty, evil things.

Now, now, Larry. If not for C-SPAN, I would not own a TV. I may be the
only person in the universe who actually enjoyed watching the Alito hearings
:-)

As for that dual drill, the consensus is about what I expected:
1) It's a cheap piece of Chinese crap, and
2) It's not a very good idea anyway, so
3) It's just a gimmick.
I kinda wondered, myself, if Ron Popeil was behind it somehow.

It's too bad, in a way. Somebody _might_ have a good idea for a new tool
someday, and be quixotic enough to want to manufacture in the US and
bootstrap it into a business. But trying to sell it on TV would probably
work against him, since we all have been conditioned to be suspicious of TV

Advertising on TV allows advertisers to sucker-in more people at once.
Check your local Dollar Store or Big Lots. Things on TV usually end up
there within 4 months of their TV debut...at 1/4 the price.

Right. Except maybe for the other wacky thing I saw advertised on TV
recently: an electric(!) log-splitter(!!) for the yuppie-home-owner market.
Surplus inventory on _that_ one will probably have to be parted out.

"Free lifetime battery replacement" will probably mean that the
company will be bankrupt (or dissolve) in less than 3 years, _before_
they have to replace any.

"Lifetime" is certainly one of the slipperiest of weasel words, isn't it :-)

-- TP