Martin Whybrow

Default Drill press repair, help needed

I have a well used Startrite Mercury drill press that has excessive play in
the quill; the bearings are fine but the journals that the quill runs in are
worn (specifically the lower one). I had planned to bore out the journals
oversize, press in 2 short lengths of cast iron tube and then bore again to
the correct size for the quill. The problem I've encountered is that I can't
locate any CI tube the right size, it needs to be 40mm (1 5/8") ID and
46mm (1 7/8") OD. I can get phosphor-bronze solid with a suitable OD but

not sure if this will wear well in this application.
Any suggestions?
Martin

--
martindot herewhybrowat herentlworlddot herecom

Roger Jones

I doubt if you can find cast iron tube in a diameter this small. You can
get solid cast iron round - or - you might want to consider using 660
bearing bronze which is available in a cored bar. Either one of these will
have to be turned to your size. McMaster Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/ or
MSC http://www.mscdirect.com both have these, I usually get the small
amounts I need from Nolan Supply http://www.nolansupply.com/

Roger

Martin Whybrow" wrote in message
I have a well used Startrite Mercury drill press that has excessive play in
the quill; the bearings are fine but the journals that the quill runs in
are
worn (specifically the lower one). I had planned to bore out the journals
oversize, press in 2 short lengths of cast iron tube and then bore again
the correct size for the quill. The problem I've encountered is that I
can't
locate any CI tube the right size, it needs to be 40mm (1 5/8") ID and
46mm (1 7/8") OD. I can get phosphor-bronze solid with a suitable OD but

not sure if this will wear well in this application.
Any suggestions?
Martin

--
martindot herewhybrowat herentlworlddot herecom

Eric R Snow

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 18:39:04 GMT, "Martin Whybrow"
wrote:

I have a well used Startrite Mercury drill press that has excessive play in
the quill; the bearings are fine but the journals that the quill runs in are
worn (specifically the lower one). I had planned to bore out the journals
oversize, press in 2 short lengths of cast iron tube and then bore again to
the correct size for the quill. The problem I've encountered is that I can't
locate any CI tube the right size, it needs to be 40mm (1 5/8") ID and
46mm (1 7/8") OD. I can get phosphor-bronze solid with a suitable OD but

not sure if this will wear well in this application.
Any suggestions?
Martin

Phosphor bronze will work well. As will aluminum nickel bronze and SAE
660 bearing bronze. The aluminum nickel bronze will wear better than
either of the other two bronzes mentioned. Better than cast iron too.
You also might be able to find sintered bronze bearing material. This
bronze is impregnated with oil. What I can't understand though is why
somebody made a drill press just for drilling mercury.
ERS
Bugs

What I can't understand though is why
somebody made a drill press just for drilling mercury.

He he, that's a good one.
I agree that brass or bronze is a better choice running against steel.
That's what virtually all sleeve bearings are made of.
Bugs

jim rozen

In article , Martin Whybrow says...

I have a well used Startrite Mercury drill press that has excessive play in
the quill; the bearings are fine but the journals that the quill runs in are
worn (specifically the lower one). I had planned to bore out the journals
oversize, press in 2 short lengths of cast iron tube and then bore again to
the correct size for the quill. The problem I've encountered is that I can't
locate any CI tube the right size, it needs to be 40mm (1 5/8") ID and
46mm (1 7/8") OD. I can get phosphor-bronze solid with a suitable OD but

not sure if this will wear well in this application.
Any suggestions?

If you want to continue on this approach, simply purchase some
cast iron rod from McMaster Carr as they have it in 1.75 OD
size. Turn the OD down, drill, and bore for the ID.

Jim

please reply to: