Roger Jones

I doubt if you can find cast iron tube in a diameter this small. You can
get solid cast iron round - or - you might want to consider using 660
bearing bronze which is available in a cored bar. Either one of these will
have to be turned to your size. McMaster Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/ or
MSC http://www.mscdirect.com both have these, I usually get the small
amounts I need from Nolan Supply http://www.nolansupply.com/

Roger

Martin Whybrow" wrote in message
I have a well used Startrite Mercury drill press that has excessive play in
the quill; the bearings are fine but the journals that the quill runs in
are
worn (specifically the lower one). I had planned to bore out the journals
oversize, press in 2 short lengths of cast iron tube and then bore again
the correct size for the quill. The problem I've encountered is that I
can't
locate any CI tube the right size, it needs to be 40mm (1 5/8") ID and
46mm (1 7/8") OD. I can get phosphor-bronze solid with a suitable OD but

not sure if this will wear well in this application.
Any suggestions?
Martin

--
martindot herewhybrowat herentlworlddot herecom