Eric R Snow

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 18:39:04 GMT, "Martin Whybrow"
wrote:

I have a well used Startrite Mercury drill press that has excessive play in
the quill; the bearings are fine but the journals that the quill runs in are
worn (specifically the lower one). I had planned to bore out the journals
oversize, press in 2 short lengths of cast iron tube and then bore again to
the correct size for the quill. The problem I've encountered is that I can't
locate any CI tube the right size, it needs to be 40mm (1 5/8") ID and
46mm (1 7/8") OD. I can get phosphor-bronze solid with a suitable OD but

not sure if this will wear well in this application.
Any suggestions?
Martin

Phosphor bronze will work well. As will aluminum nickel bronze and SAE
660 bearing bronze. The aluminum nickel bronze will wear better than
either of the other two bronzes mentioned. Better than cast iron too.
You also might be able to find sintered bronze bearing material. This
bronze is impregnated with oil. What I can't understand though is why
somebody made a drill press just for drilling mercury.
ERS