Martin Whybrow

Default Drill press repair, help needed

I have a well used Startrite Mercury drill press that has excessive play in
the quill; the bearings are fine but the journals that the quill runs in are
worn (specifically the lower one). I had planned to bore out the journals
oversize, press in 2 short lengths of cast iron tube and then bore again to
the correct size for the quill. The problem I've encountered is that I can't
locate any CI tube the right size, it needs to be 40mm (1 5/8") ID and
46mm (1 7/8") OD. I can get phosphor-bronze solid with a suitable OD but

not sure if this will wear well in this application.
Any suggestions?
Martin

--
martindot herewhybrowat herentlworlddot herecom