Adam Diehl

Default Mortiser vs. Drill Press

Hey group,

I am looking to purchase either a drill press and mortising kit or a
dedicated mortiser to help me out with my furniture-making ambitions. I
initially thought that the drill press and mortising kit would be the
way to go because it would be more versatile. Since I have a limited
tool-buying budget (If I still hope to buy lumber anyways), I thought it
would be a nice, cost-effective compromise. However, I have heard that
the mortising kit/drill press combo isn't entirely satisfactory for
cutting mortises on a regular basis. I've heard that the dedicated
mortiser (as one might guess) is more user-friendly and does a better
job overall. That said, I have a couple questions for the group:

1) What do you use your drill presses for in your shop? My reason for
initially leaning towards the drill press/mortise kit combination is, as
I mentioned, because of the ability to also use the drill press as a
drill press. However, the only uses I can come up with are to cut plugs
and possibly for spinning sanding drums (which, I'm told, is another job
they're not ideally suited for). I don't think I'd do either on a
regular basis.

2) If you've used a mortising kit, what were your impressions of the
quality of the job it did and its usability?

3) Considering the price of a delta bench-top drill press plus mortising
kit is about equal to the delta bench-top dedicated mortiser (including
4 bits and a few other handy gewgaws), which would you go for in my
position? Keep in mind that I already have a good hand-held drill that's
worked just fine for making holes up to this point. (I can even make the
holes end up passably straight most of the time!)

I guess the main thing I'm trying to assess is the real utility of
having a drill press, and whether it outweighs the advantages of going
for the dedicated mortiser. At this point I am leaning towards the
mortiser unless I hear some great reason to have a drill press instead.
Thank you all for your help!

Regards,
Adam Diehl
Edwin Pawlowski

"Adam Diehl" wrote in message

I have heard that the mortising kit/drill press combo isn't entirely
satisfactory for cutting mortises on a regular basis. I've heard that the
dedicated mortiser (as one might guess) is more user-friendly and does a
better job overall.

That is the general consensus here. Some guys get good results witht he
attachment, more have been frustrated by the attachments. I've never tried
one so I can't comment any more about them. Dedicated tools are always
better than combination tools.

1) What do you use your drill presses for in your shop? My reason for
initially leaning towards the drill press/mortise kit combination is, as I
mentioned, because of the ability to also use the drill press as a drill
press. However, the only uses I can come up with are to cut plugs and
possibly for spinning sanding drums (which, I'm told, is another job
they're not ideally suited for). I don't think I'd do either on a regular
basis.

I've mande a lot of outdoor furniture with slats that reuired four holes in
each, maby 100 to 150 holes per piece. The drill press is fast, accurate,
allows for easy repeatability by using a fence and stops. Good for drilling
large diameter holes with a hole saw. Yes, you can live without it, but it
gets regular use in my shop.

2) If you've used a mortising kit, what were your impressions of the
quality of the job it did and its usability?

Can't help you here.

3) Considering the price of a delta bench-top drill press plus mortising
kit is about equal to the delta bench-top dedicated mortiser (including 4
bits and a few other handy gewgaws), which would you go for in my
position?

You may be very happy with the add on. I don't know your pocketbook well
enough to say for sure. Changing back and forth is a problem mentioned in
this group. A DP and dedicated machine is going to cost about $450.US
The adapter would be wasted money in the long run.

Keep in mind that I already have a good hand-held drill that's
worked just fine for making holes up to this point. (I can even make the
holes end up passably straight most of the time!)

At this point I am leaning towards the mortiser unless I hear some great
reason to have a drill press instead. Thank you all for your help!

Then go for it! You can always get a DP later. You can live without it,
but once you have it, you don't ever want to see it go away.
Ed

TEF

Since I was just on this newsgroup asking for advice concerning the
operation of my new Delta mortiser, I am no expert on the subject. However,
I can say after messing around with some hardwood scraps and a 1/2"
mortising bit that it takes a great deal of force on the mortiser's lever to
advance the bit into the wood. I also have a Jet 14" drill press and doubt
that one could exert the force necessary to do the same using the drill
press (without eventually damaging it). In short, if you have the money go
with the dedicated mortiser or, perhaps, use a router for the same task. I
don't think the drill press is a good substitute. FYI Amazon is currently
selling the better Delta mortiser for less than $200 with the usual free
shipping.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
om...

"Adam Diehl" wrote in message

[...]

Alisa Piar

If you are just starting out you would be further ahead buying a drill
press and a set of forstner bits. You can bore out most of the mortise with
a forstner bit and clean it up with a chisel. It takes more time that way
but you will find way more uses for a drill press. A day does not go by in
the shop where me or my wife (she turns) don't use the drill press.
I currently have a 12" Delta benchtop which has been reliable tool. My next
major purchase will be a full sized drill press then I will get a dedicated
mortiser.

Have Fun
Wade
"Adam Diehl" wrote in message
[...]

TWS

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 02:53:35 GMT, "Alisa Piar"
wrote:

If you are just starting out you would be further ahead buying a drill
press and a set of forstner bits. You can bore out most of the mortise with
a forstner bit and clean it up with a chisel. It takes more time that way
but you will find way more uses for a drill press. A day does not go by in
the shop where me or my wife (she turns) don't use the drill press.
I currently have a 12" Delta benchtop which has been reliable tool. My next
major purchase will be a full sized drill press then I will get a dedicated
mortiser.

Have Fun
Wade

I agree with Wade. You will get a lot more mileage from a drill
press, a set of forstner bits, and some decent chisels and you will be
able to make mortises as good as or better than a mortiser. IME the
mortiser will need cleaning out with a chisel anyway and you can use
the drill press, bits, and chisels for many other applications. You
do need to learn how to sharpen the chisels, however.

TWS

Bob

"Adam Diehl" wrote in message

I guess the main thing I'm trying to assess is the real utility of
having a drill press, and whether it outweighs the advantages of going
for the dedicated mortiser. At this point I am leaning towards the
mortiser unless I hear some great reason to have a drill press instead.
Thank you all for your help!

When I think about my drill press, I think of all the jobs I do with it and
not many seem like they justify having one. Yet, it would be one of the
last power tools I would give up. I use it for something every day. Its so
nice to be able to drill holes exactly where you want them cleanly and
squarely and at the depth you want. Drilling big holes is a pleasure
compared to other alternatives (Yes, I have a brace and use it
occasionally). I wouldn't waste my time and money on a mortiser kit for it,
though. In fact I don't currently have the desire or need for a dedicated
mortiser. That's really an exotic single purpose tool and way down on my
want list. I think you would get a lot more use out of a good router. I
recently did a project that required 40 large Mortise and Tenons. I cut all
the mortises with the router and a simple template I made. A router cuts
mortises cleaner than just about any other method. I did not have to clean
up a single one of them. Once you get the hang of it and have a good jig,
you can cut them reasonably quickly.

Bob

charlie b

Bob wrote:

snip

I think you would get a lot more use out of a good router. I
recently did a project that required 40 large Mortise and Tenons. I cut all
the mortises with the router and a simple template I made. A router cuts
mortises cleaner than just about any other method. I did not have to clean
up a single one of them. Once you get the hang of it and have a good jig,
you can cut them reasonably quickly.

Bob

I agree, a plunge router and a shop built jig will let you do loose
tenon,
mortise and tenon joints without using up floor space. And the
beauty of loose tenon M&T joints are
1. low risk. blow a tenon or a tenon length and you're on the
way to SOL land. Not a problem with loose tenons since
you can make another one with out having to make a whole
new part that shows (and costs a bit of $s)
2. no "visible" part length PLUS tenon length calcs. "Visible
length" and part's length are the same.

Here's a jig I made
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/...TenonJig1.html

And Trend makes a Mortise & Tenon Jig for use with a router.
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/...endMTjig1.html
That'll do angled on two axis mortises and tenons or both mortises
and a loose tenon.

If you're going to do angled mortises and want to spend some
bucks there's the General International 75-075 M1 or it's smaller
sibling which I think is called the 75-050. Here's the 75-075M1
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/Mortiser.html

And if you want to Neander the mortises the Jim Wilson
mortising chisels Steve Knight use to sell will take a
licking and keep on ticking

Most of the combination machines (not the ShopSmith type
combi) have a horizontal boring/slot mortising feature like
on the Robland X31. The XYZ table sure helps
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/X31pg3.html

As for a "mortising kit" for a drill press - unless you're
a masochist or EXTEREMELY patient and methodical
I'd skip it. The stock hold downs and hold ins SUCK!
The fence alignment is a PITA and taking it on and
off between drill press uses ain't fun either.

charlie b

(and yes, I AM a TOOL FREAK who occassionaly
actually makes things with them)
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/Boxes1.html

However you go you'll need a good layout tool (or tools)
and some knowledge of stock marking methods etc.
Might want to have a look at this stuff.
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/MTPrimer0.html
C & S

I vote is buy a drill press and not the mortiser attachment.

I have had all three. The jig attchment frustrated me. It was a PITA to set
up, and I could never get the coller to lock well enough on the quil for it
to work properly. I ended up buying the delta benchtop mortiser with which I
am generally pleased.

As for the drill press, you will use it for any ad all drilling that you can
bring to the table. If you think that you can drill straight (perpendicular
to the surface) without one, you're really good, using a fussy fixture or
deluded. A DP just makes it so easy. Add to that: gobs of power (compared to
a hand drill) effortless depth stopping and probably and my peronal favorite
(it may sound silly but it;s a huge time saver) if you have multiple holes
the same distance from an edge, clamp on a fence and whip right through
them.

"Adam Diehl" wrote in message
[...]

Ba r r y

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 19:34:44 -0500, Adam Diehl
wrote:

I guess the main thing I'm trying to assess is the real utility of
having a drill press, and whether it outweighs the advantages of going
for the dedicated mortiser.

What are you mortising?

For most work, I mortise with a router and/or router table and spiral
bits. Stop blocks and a fence are set up to quickly zip out the
mortise. I either chop the rounded ends square with a good mortise
chisel, or trim the tenon corners with bench chisels to fit them,
depending on if the mortise goes all the way through.

I find the router and some good, sharp chisels to be a great combo.
Setting up the router table doesn't take much longer than setting up a
mortise machine. Trimming the tenon corners is extremely fast during
dry fit, taking maybe ten seconds a joint.

Making lots of mission stuff with lots and lots of mortises? I'd buy
a dedicated machine.

Barry
Bob G.

:

Let me say that I have NOT read the other replies to your
question...YET...

But years ago I faced a project that required tons of mortises and I
already owned a floor model drill press . I actually borrowed a
dedicated morticer from my brother for a few weeks and honestly it
worked pretty darn good...

BUT I actually purchased a Morticing kit for my floor model drill
press and a mid level Delta Bench top drill press instead of buying a
dedicated morticer...just much more flexability in the shop...

Today I have three (3) drill presses in my shop the 2 above and
another small delta cheapie that I have mounted horizontally for use
as a horizointal boring machine.. ( I make a dozen or so 4 poster beds
every year ) for my wife to sell at craft fairs along with her hand
made dolls and doll cloths.

The Kit is NOT installed on any of the drill presses and has not been
for about a year...

To answer your question on how the "kits" compare to a dedicated
mortiser.... WELL not very good... ! much slower and not nearly as
easy to use... BUT THEY WORK ... and in my case since I do not have
to cut a lot of mortices in general I know I made the right
decision...

How much do I use my drill presses... ? Honestly a heck of a lot...!
How many mortises do I cut...? not that many ...!

If I cut a lot of mortises I would definitely have a dedicated
machine...they work MUCH better then the add on kits

In short I can live without a Morticer BUT I can not live without the
drill presses...

Bob Griffiths

..

1) What do you use your drill presses for in your shop? My reason for
initially leaning towards the drill press/mortise kit combination is, as
I mentioned, because of the ability to also use the drill press as a
drill press. However, the only uses I can come up with are to cut plugs
and possibly for spinning sanding drums (which, I'm told, is another job
they're not ideally suited for). I don't think I'd do either on a
regular basis.

2) If you've used a mortising kit, what were your impressions of the
quality of the job it did and its usability?

Bob G.

At this point I am leaning towards the mortiser unless I hear some great
reason to have a drill press instead. Thank you all for your help!

Then go for it! You can always get a DP later. You can live without it,
but once you have it, you don't ever want to see it go away.
Ed

==============================
Ed makes a good point..

But his last sentence in my opinion says it all... . I could NOT even
begin to think how I could live without at least one drill press in
the shop..

I have survived 40+ years in this hobby without a morticer....
and have no real desire (read need) to buy one...but if one of my 3
drill presses went tits up this morning it would be replaced in a
matter of days.... I can not live without one...

Bob Griffiths

Nate Perkins

Adam Diehl wrote in message ...

I am looking to purchase either a drill press and mortising kit or a
dedicated mortiser to help me out with my furniture-making ambitions.

I think that most people here would agree that a drill press is a very
useful item. You won't be sorry to have one.

I started out making mortises with a Forstner bit and a bench chisel.
It worked okay. I later switched to regular mortising chisels
(Hirsch), and found those to be reasonably fast and (for me) more
accurately vertical and consistent in width than the drill
press/chisel method.

Then last week for the heck of it I took a spin on some of the
machines at the local hardwood store. Eyed the Jet benchtop mortising
machines ... sure, they look nice, but wasn't really all that
impressed. I mean, shop space is tight and I can do that job with a
chisel.

Um, then I took a spin on a Powermatic 719. Locking x-y tables with
stops, built in workpiece stop, cuts like butter ... more precise and
consistent than I can do by hand. Now *that's* a tool. Kinda got me
to thinking, if you know what I mean.
Upscale

"Nate Perkins" wrote in message

Um, then I took a spin on a Powermatic 719. Locking x-y tables with
stops, built in workpiece stop, cuts like butter ... more precise and
consistent than I can do by hand. Now *that's* a tool. Kinda got me
to thinking, if you know what I mean.

If you like that, then have a look at the General 75-075 mortiser.

Phisherman

wrote:

[...]

A drill press is very useful in the shop. You'll use it more than you
had imagined.

2) If you've used a mortising kit, what were your impressions of the
quality of the job it did and its usability?

I have the Delta mortising attachment. It takes time to set it up and
get it adjusted, then when in use there is no drill press for other
uses. The attachment is usable.

3) Considering the price of a delta bench-top drill press plus mortising
kit is about equal to the delta bench-top dedicated mortiser (including
4 bits and a few other handy gewgaws), which would you go for in my
position? Keep in mind that I already have a good hand-held drill that's
worked just fine for making holes up to this point. (I can even make the
holes end up passably straight most of the time!)

Basically you need both. Since you really need a mortiser get that
now, then save up for a floor-model drill press. At any rate, buy
the highest quality you can find. Good mortising bits are not cheap.

I guess the main thing I'm trying to assess is the real utility of
having a drill press, and whether it outweighs the advantages of going
for the dedicated mortiser. At this point I am leaning towards the
mortiser unless I hear some great reason to have a drill press instead.
Thank you all for your help!

Regards,
Adam Diehl

RonB

My vote is drill press and forget the mortiser for a while. The drill press
is a much more universal tool in the shop.

Having used a Delta mortising kit on another person's machine I would bypass
that option too. It did a fairly good job of cutting mortises the first few
times, but after initial dulling of the bit, the drill press handles were
way to short to cut easily. A bigger problem is setup/teardown time and
having the machine tied up for one purpose. By the way, the kits don't fit
all drill presses.

Your can predrill or bore a couple of small mortises on the drill press, and
clean them up with chisels, in about the time you spend setting up and
tearing down the kit.

Wayne K.

I Have Delta DP and the Delta morticing attachment, Set up for the
morticing tool is no problem. I do not use the tee nuts supplied I use
c-clamps, really speeds set-up. It work great. I use the DP lots more than
the morticing attachment.
YMMV.
Wayne
Columbia MD