jim rozen

In article , Martin Whybrow says...

I have a well used Startrite Mercury drill press that has excessive play in
the quill; the bearings are fine but the journals that the quill runs in are
worn (specifically the lower one). I had planned to bore out the journals
oversize, press in 2 short lengths of cast iron tube and then bore again to
the correct size for the quill. The problem I've encountered is that I can't
locate any CI tube the right size, it needs to be 40mm (1 5/8") ID and
46mm (1 7/8") OD. I can get phosphor-bronze solid with a suitable OD but

not sure if this will wear well in this application.
Any suggestions?

If you want to continue on this approach, simply purchase some
cast iron rod from McMaster Carr as they have it in 1.75 OD
size. Turn the OD down, drill, and bore for the ID.

Jim

please reply to: