Eric R Snow

Default Lightweight, small transmission wanted

Hey, it's made of metal so it's on topic. Anyway, I've been thinking
about a new project (dangerous!), more of a mental exercise really.
Putting together a car powered by a Norton 750 motorcycle engine.
Since it runs great and the bike is wrecked the motor should go into
something. So I have been looking around for a 4 to 6 speed
transmission with reverse that weighs less than 60 pounds. No luck
yet. Crosley transmissions are pretty light I think. But hard to find.
And not cheap. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Eric
John Martin

Eric R Snow wrote:
Hey, it's made of metal so it's on topic. Anyway, I've been thinking
about a new project (dangerous!), more of a mental exercise really.
Putting together a car powered by a Norton 750 motorcycle engine.
Since it runs great and the bike is wrecked the motor should go into
something. So I have been looking around for a 4 to 6 speed
transmission with reverse that weighs less than 60 pounds. No luck
yet. Crosley transmissions are pretty light I think. But hard to find.
And not cheap. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Eric

If the only problem with the Norton transmission is its lack of
reverse, maybe it would make more sense to try to add a reversing gear
down the line than to find a complete gearbox with reverse. Maybe a
marine forward/reverse gearbox, for instance.

Just promise us you'll never shift out of first when in reverse.

John Martin

Andy Asberry

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 03:30:12 GMT, tesnow@whidbeyDOTcom (Eric R Snow)
wrote:

Hey, it's made of metal so it's on topic. Anyway, I've been thinking
about a new project (dangerous!), more of a mental exercise really.
Putting together a car powered by a Norton 750 motorcycle engine.
Since it runs great and the bike is wrecked the motor should go into
something. So I have been looking around for a 4 to 6 speed
transmission with reverse that weighs less than 60 pounds. No luck
yet. Crosley transmissions are pretty light I think. But hard to find.
And not cheap. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Eric

A couple.

1) Use the Norton transmission feeding a forward/reverse box.

2) A hydraulic pump and motor with reservoir could be done within 60#.
Tim Wescott

Eric R Snow wrote:

Hey, it's made of metal so it's on topic. Anyway, I've been thinking
about a new project (dangerous!), more of a mental exercise really.
Putting together a car powered by a Norton 750 motorcycle engine.
Since it runs great and the bike is wrecked the motor should go into
something. So I have been looking around for a 4 to 6 speed
transmission with reverse that weighs less than 60 pounds. No luck
yet. Crosley transmissions are pretty light I think. But hard to find.
And not cheap. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Eric

I've wanted to build a Morgan trike with a Harley motor -- I'll probably
never get to it, but it's fun to think about.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Jordan

Harley-Davidson Servi-car?

Eric R Snow wrote:
looking around for a 4 to 6 speed
transmission with reverse that weighs less than 60 pounds.

Ken Sterling

Hey, it's made of metal so it's on topic. Anyway, I've been thinking
about a new project (dangerous!), more of a mental exercise really.
Putting together a car powered by a Norton 750 motorcycle engine.
Since it runs great and the bike is wrecked the motor should go into
something. So I have been looking around for a 4 to 6 speed
transmission with reverse that weighs less than 60 pounds. No luck
yet. Crosley transmissions are pretty light I think. But hard to find.
And not cheap. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Eric

Get a nice little tranny (5-sp) out of an old Geo Metro at the
junkyard.
Ken.

Karl Vorwerk

http://www.dodgyroger.com/locost/
Honda fireblade engine. Bigger engine than yours. They use the Honda
transmission. Often they use an automobile starter motor for reverse power.
Karl

"Eric R Snow" tesnow@whidbeyDOTcom wrote in message
Hey, it's made of metal so it's on topic. Anyway, I've been thinking
about a new project (dangerous!), more of a mental exercise really.
Putting together a car powered by a Norton 750 motorcycle engine.
Since it runs great and the bike is wrecked the motor should go into
something. So I have been looking around for a 4 to 6 speed
transmission with reverse that weighs less than 60 pounds. No luck
yet. Crosley transmissions are pretty light I think. But hard to find.
And not cheap. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Eric

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 03:30:12 GMT, the opaque tesnow@whidbeyDOTcom
(Eric R Snow) clearly wrote:

Hey, it's made of metal so it's on topic. Anyway, I've been thinking
about a new project (dangerous!), more of a mental exercise really.
Putting together a car powered by a Norton 750 motorcycle engine.
Since it runs great and the bike is wrecked the motor should go into
something. So I have been looking around for a 4 to 6 speed
transmission with reverse that weighs less than 60 pounds. No luck
yet. Crosley transmissions are pretty light I think. But hard to find.
And not cheap. Any ideas?

Tried Cushman recyclers or any of those wild little Eyetalyun trike
car mfgrs yet, Eric?

Tried a Harley source? http://www.sputhe.com/ (Cha CHING!)

CAUTION: Do NOT look directly into laser with remaining eyeball!
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design
Pete C.

Eric R Snow wrote:

Hey, it's made of metal so it's on topic. Anyway, I've been thinking
about a new project (dangerous!), more of a mental exercise really.
Putting together a car powered by a Norton 750 motorcycle engine.
Since it runs great and the bike is wrecked the motor should go into
something. So I have been looking around for a 4 to 6 speed
transmission with reverse that weighs less than 60 pounds. No luck
yet. Crosley transmissions are pretty light I think. But hard to find.
And not cheap. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Eric

Just stick the engine on your lawn mower.

Pete C.
Eric R Snow

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 20:05:03 +1000, Jordan
wrote:

Harley-Davidson Servi-car?

Eric R Snow wrote:
looking around for a 4 to 6 speed
transmission with reverse that weighs less than 60 pounds.

That sounds like a good one. Thanks!
Eric

Eric R Snow

On 25 Aug 2005 20:53:27 -0700, "John Martin"
wrote:

Eric R Snow wrote:
[...]

Tha Norton weighs 385 lbs. A car would weigh about 1200 lbs. I think
that the Norton tranny might fail pulling that much weight. And it's
such a cool tranny.
Eric
Eric R Snow

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 10:34:28 GMT, Ken Sterling (Ken Sterling) wrote:

Hey, it's made of metal so it's on topic. Anyway, I've been thinking
about a new project (dangerous!), more of a mental exercise really.
Putting together a car powered by a Norton 750 motorcycle engine.
Since it runs great and the bike is wrecked the motor should go into
something. So I have been looking around for a 4 to 6 speed
transmission with reverse that weighs less than 60 pounds. No luck
yet. Crosley transmissions are pretty light I think. But hard to find.
And not cheap. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Eric

Get a nice little tranny (5-sp) out of an old Geo Metro at the
junkyard.
Ken.

I thought about those but they are all transaxles. I would rather have
a rear wheel drive. For no good reason though. Except rear wheel drive
cars are easier to do doughnuts with.
Eric
Eric R Snow

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 13:31:51 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:

Eric R Snow wrote:

Hey, it's made of metal so it's on topic. Anyway, I've been thinking
about a new project (dangerous!), more of a mental exercise really.
Putting together a car powered by a Norton 750 motorcycle engine.
Since it runs great and the bike is wrecked the motor should go into
something. So I have been looking around for a 4 to 6 speed
transmission with reverse that weighs less than 60 pounds. No luck
yet. Crosley transmissions are pretty light I think. But hard to find.
And not cheap. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Eric

Just stick the engine on your lawn mower.

Pete C.

Well, I thought about putting it in my boat. But it would be too loud.
Besides, having the motor hanging off the front of the car would get
me lots of funny looks.
Eric
Eric R Snow

wrote:

Hey, it's made of metal so it's on topic. Anyway, I've been thinking
about a new project (dangerous!), more of a mental exercise really.
Putting together a car powered by a Norton 750 motorcycle engine.
Since it runs great and the bike is wrecked the motor should go into
something. So I have been looking around for a 4 to 6 speed
transmission with reverse that weighs less than 60 pounds. No luck
yet. Crosley transmissions are pretty light I think. But hard to find.
And not cheap. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Eric

A couple.

1) Use the Norton transmission feeding a forward/reverse box.

2) A hydraulic pump and motor with reservoir could be done within 60#.

Hydraulic motors and pumps are not good for this type of application,
I have been told. Is this not true?
Eric
Eric R Snow

(Eric R Snow) clearly wrote:

Hey, it's made of metal so it's on topic. Anyway, I've been thinking
about a new project (dangerous!), more of a mental exercise really.
Putting together a car powered by a Norton 750 motorcycle engine.
Since it runs great and the bike is wrecked the motor should go into
something. So I have been looking around for a 4 to 6 speed
transmission with reverse that weighs less than 60 pounds. No luck
yet. Crosley transmissions are pretty light I think. But hard to find.
And not cheap. Any ideas?

Tried Cushman recyclers or any of those wild little Eyetalyun trike
car mfgrs yet, Eric?

Tried a Harley source? http://www.sputhe.com/ (Cha CHING!)

CAUTION: Do NOT look directly into laser with remaining eyeball!
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design

Not tried the Cushman yet. But Harley stuff is really pricey!
Thanks,
Eric

Eric R Snow

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 15:33:13 GMT, "EdFielder"
wrote:

Try www.surpluscenter.com they have transaxles both mechanical and
hydrostatic up to 6 speeds and reverse.

"Eric R Snow" tesnow@whidbeyDOTcom wrote in message
Hey, it's made of metal so it's on topic. Anyway, I've been thinking
about a new project (dangerous!), more of a mental exercise really.
Putting together a car powered by a Norton 750 motorcycle engine.
Since it runs great and the bike is wrecked the motor should go into
something. So I have been looking around for a 4 to 6 speed
transmission with reverse that weighs less than 60 pounds. No luck
yet. Crosley transmissions are pretty light I think. But hard to find.
And not cheap. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Eric

It appears that all the transaxles and transmissions for carts are all
low output speed. Lots of reduction. Harley and Cushman cart
transmissions are hard to find and even harder to find specs on them.
More searching must be done.
Eric
John Martin

Eric R Snow wrote:

Tha Norton weighs 385 lbs. A car would weigh about 1200 lbs. I think
that the Norton tranny might fail pulling that much weight. And it's
such a cool tranny.
Eric

Sure, it might fail, but it might fail on the bike too. I don't think
the weight of the car has a thing to do with it.

Think about it in terms of the "weakest link". If the Norton spins the
wheel on dry pavement now, then a heavier car will put more force on
the transmission. If it doesn't, though, it's limited by the torque of
the engine and not the weight of the car. The gearbox can take
anything the engine can throw at it, and that won't be any more with
the car than it would be with the bike or a bike with sidecar. Oh, it
might wear a bit quicker because you'll always be running at more
throttle due to the heavier and less streamlined car, but that will
wear the engine as well.

The clutch will wear out quicker, because you'll have to slip it more
to get the thing rolling.

You may also want to gear it a bit lower in the final drive than with
the bike, which would help the clutch. I'm not sure that you'll want
the top speed of the bike with a 1200 pound homemade car.

John Martin

Artemia Salina

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 03:30:12 +0000, Eric R Snow wrote:

Hey, it's made of metal so it's on topic. Anyway, I've been thinking
about a new project (dangerous!), more of a mental exercise really.
Putting together a car powered by a Norton 750 motorcycle engine.
Since it runs great and the bike is wrecked the motor should go into
something. So I have been looking around for a 4 to 6 speed
transmission with reverse that weighs less than 60 pounds. No luck
yet. Crosley transmissions are pretty light I think. But hard to find.
And not cheap. Any ideas?

I still see Nash Metropolitans for sale occasionally on ebay, cheap.
Maybe you can find a junker with a good tranny. They had a 50 hp motor
and the car weighed ~1200 lbs.

Maybe you can find an old Albion tranny from a Rodley or something
similar. Seems that Albion is still in business. Only a 3-speed though.

http://www.microcar.org/carspecs/rodley.html

Personally, I'd like to put a big S&S V-twin with straight pipes in
one of these: http://www.cqql.net/bmw.htm
Eric R Snow

On 26 Aug 2005 09:36:10 -0700, "John Martin"
wrote:

Eric R Snow wrote:

[...]

The Norton would bring the front end up in first with throttle only.
Second too. But maybe you're right. A lower gear to the final drive
would limlit top speed and be less torque load under acceleration on
the tranny.
Eric

Eric R Snow

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 14:05:18 -0400, Artemia Salina
wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the suggestions.
Eric
Chris

"John Martin" wrote in message
oups.com...

Eric R Snow wrote:

Tha Norton weighs 385 lbs. A car would weigh about 1200 lbs. I think
that the Norton tranny might fail pulling that much weight. And it's
such a cool tranny.
Eric

Sure, it might fail, but it might fail on the bike too. I don't think
the weight of the car has a thing to do with it.

Using this logic, it the Norton tranny would work in a Semi.

Takes more torque to move a 1200lb car than a 385lb bike. That torque has
to pass through the tranny somehow.

Increased drag on the car will have to be overcome by more torque as well.

Chris

Chris

"Eric R Snow" wrote in message
news
[...]

And I thought you were into that new fade out on the west coast. The one
that came from Japan. What is it called..???? Floating, fagging,
flashing??? Something like that. The one were they slide around in a front
wheel drive.

Chris

RoyJ

Trannys fail on impact torque loads (when you dump the clutch) and wear
loads (where you drive at 70 mph into a headwind) I suspect the Norton
tranny is built around the first requirement. You have a lot more need
for the second.

John Martin wrote:
Eric R Snow wrote:

[...]

Greg O

Eric R Snow wrote:

Tha Norton weighs 385 lbs. A car would weigh about 1200 lbs. I think
that the Norton tranny might fail pulling that much weight. And it's
such a cool tranny.
Eric

Sure, it might fail, but it might fail on the bike too. I don't think
the weight of the car has a thing to do with it.

Using this logic, it the Norton tranny would work in a Semi.

Using the Norton engine, it will! It will just take a huge gear reduction,
after the tranny, to get it moving!
Greg

Jim Steeby

"Eric R Snow" tesnow@whidbeyDOTcom wrote in message
Hey, it's made of metal so it's on topic. Anyway, I've been thinking
about a new project (dangerous!), more of a mental exercise really.
Putting together a car powered by a Norton 750 motorcycle engine.
Since it runs great and the bike is wrecked the motor should go into
something. So I have been looking around for a 4 to 6 speed
transmission with reverse that weighs less than 60 pounds. No luck
yet. Crosley transmissions are pretty light I think. But hard to find.
And not cheap. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Eric

Eric,
How about a torque converter? Check out:
http://www.hoffcocomet.com/comet/aft...converters.asp I put
these on a couple of home built mini bikes years ago and they worked great.
You would still have to deal with the reverse problem but an electric motor
might work for that.
Jim in Sequim

Eric R Snow

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 16:10:40 -0400, "Chris" wrote:

"Eric R Snow" wrote in message
news
[...]

I'm too lazy to slide around with front wheel drive. With rear wheel
you just turn sharp and gas it. Tons-o-fun.
Eric
Chris

"Eric R Snow" wrote in message
On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 16:10:40 -0400, "Chris" wrote:

"Eric R Snow" wrote in message
news
[...]

I do miss the sound of hot-rod V8s these days. Tired of hearing those
"sewing" machine front wheel drive cars. Just not my cup of tea.

One of these days I am going to ask one of these kids some questions.

1. Why a rear wing on a front wheel drive? Have you seen some of these
things.
2. If your exhaust is 1" from the motor back. What good does a 6" chrome
tail pipe do?
3. Why buy a new $14k car, drive it off the lot, next day put $6k of 18"
wheels and tires on it the next day? Why not just buy a $20k car.
4. What in the world are those neon lights under the car for?
5. Why spend $200 on a carbon fiber shift knob?
6. Do you know what Posi means? How about glass packs? Pushrods?
7. You are 18 and someone actually gave you a loan on a car?
8. You spent $6k on your stereo in the car; why not spend a couple more
pennies and tighten down the darn license plate????

I am sure, given the prices that they are going for these days, there are a
few of us that wish we had some of our old hot-rods back.

What lies in the future of collectables? A Hyundai with 18" rims, neon
lights under the car, and a 4" exhaust pipe.

Am I getting too old?

Chris

habbi

What about a tranny from an ATV Like a 4 wheeler.
They are available in auto and manual and they have reverse.
Or what about a torque converter such as a snowmobile has, some snowmobiles
have reverse as well.

news
wrote:

[...]

Chris

"habbi" wrote in message
What about a tranny from an ATV Like a 4 wheeler.
They are available in auto and manual and they have reverse.
Or what about a torque converter such as a snowmobile has, some
snowmobiles
have reverse as well.

Habbi might very well have the best answer yet. Sounds like a perfect
match.
I have a newer 4wd ATV with a tow hitch on the back. It pulls a 4000lb boat
around the yard no problem.

Plus the thing ways close to 700lbs. Sound close enough????

Problem is finding a wrecked one. Ebay?

Chris

Jim Stewart

Chris wrote:

8. You spent $6k on your stereo in the car; why not spend a couple more
pennies and tighten down the darn license plate????

And we have a winner!!!!!

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 17:24:11 -0400, Chris wrote:

One of these days I am going to ask one of these kids some questions.

1. Why a rear wing on a front wheel drive? Have you seen some of these
things.

Well, it's inversely proportional to their, let's say, "endowment".

2. If your exhaust is 1" from the motor back. What good does a 6" chrome
tail pipe do?

Chrome. It's _chrome_. Adds 3 horsepower right there, just being
chrome. Nothing new about that, though.

3. Why buy a new $14k car, drive it off the lot, next day put $6k of 18"
wheels and tires on it the next day? Why not just buy a $20k car.

Because then they can put the VTEC emblems on a stock car and be more of
a poser, with less recurring costs. or something.

4. What in the world are those neon lights under the car for?

Um, a way of saying "I'm young and stupid, and will look back at this in
embarassment in years to come"?

5. Why spend $200 on a carbon fiber shift knob?

It's _carbon fiber_. (See above regarding _chrome_). Sheesh.

6. Do you know what Posi means? How about glass packs? Pushrods?

I'm sorry, but pushrods really, really, really, are an idea whose time
has passed. But yeah.

7. You are 18 and someone actually gave you a loan on a car?

Bank of daddy, anyone?

8. You spent $6k on your stereo in the car; why not spend a couple more
pennies and tighten down the darn license plate????

It's K3wl when the plate rattles from the subwoofer. You did miss a
memo or two, didn't you.

What lies in the future of collectables? A Hyundai with 18" rims, neon
lights under the car, and a 4" exhaust pipe.

Naah, the collectable will be the _one_ Honda which wasn't all riced out
by some wannabee.

Am I getting too old?

You're asking the wrong person, I think.

Chris

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
[...]

LMAO.

I do think that the dealers are getting the loans for the kids these days.
Something that was unheard of years ago.

Chris

Jedd Haas

Perhaps you can use the motor to drive a generator, which could power a
motor in each wheel of an electric car or go-cart.

--
Jedd Haas - Artist
http://www.gallerytungsten.com

If you've got a working Norton 750 engine, it would
be a crime to trash it when some restorer would probably
pay you enougn for it to purchase an engine more suitable
to you needs,
MadDog

Jordan

If it's any help, I'm told the Servi-car gearboxes are identical to the
relatively common WLA (WW2 army bike), with the addition of reverse
gear. All WLA gearboxes have provision for reverse - a friend has one on
his sidecar outfit.

Jordan

Harley and Cushman cart
transmissions are hard to find and even harder to find specs on them.
More searching must be done.
Eric

Jordan

The 1957-on Norton gearbox was reportedly good for up to 50 BHP.
All that I've seen that came from 750 and 850 Nortons, which probably
made more power than that, had noticeable pitting of the gear tooth
flanks. They seemed able to serve OK whilst in that condition, but that
could be because I was poor, the bikes were old, and didn't get thrashed
so much.

Jordan

John Martin wrote:
The gearbox can take
anything the engine can throw at it

Ron DeBlock

How about making a series hybrid? The Norton motor powers a
generator/alternator that powers an electric motor in the rear axle. Or
one electric motor in each hub and no axle. You can get AWD if you go
with electric motors at all four wheels. Throw in some batteries,
charging circuitry, and regenerative braking if you're ambitious.

Didn't answer your question, but you could dispense with the tranny
altogether.

--
Ron DeBlock N2JSO
If God had meant for Man to see the sunrise,

John Martin

Chris wrote:

Using this logic, it the Norton tranny would work in a Semi.

Takes more torque to move a 1200lb car than a 385lb bike. That torque has
to pass through the tranny somehow.

Increased drag on the car will have to be overcome by more torque as well.

Chris

So, Chris, just where does that extra torque come from?

The increased drag will cause the transmission to wear faster. But it
won't cause it to break. Nor would putting it in a semi, although the
clutch wouldn't hold up.

John Martin

trevor jones

Eric R Snow wrote:

Tha Norton weighs 385 lbs. A car would weigh about 1200 lbs. I think
that the Norton tranny might fail pulling that much weight. And it's
such a cool tranny.
Eric

Might fail!!!??!! It was pretty much a given that the AMC gearboxes on
Nortons Commando's WOULD fail if your were of the personality to be a
bit heavyhanded on the gas. Two reasons that they were still using them
were the asosciated costs of retooling, and that they mostly survived
longer than the warranty period, after which one was on ones own. There
were also regulatory issues that were able to be bypassed due to
grandfathered design (of the Commando) that would have caused Norton a
lot of greif if they re-engineered the bike with a more suitable tranny.
The AMC box was well respected in bikes in the lower horsepower
ranges, but was out of it's league in a Commando.

I had a 1975 850 for 12 years, and it was my only transport for 3 1/2
of those.

There are Harley D trannies available with reverse. They were used in
the 45ci Servi Car trikes. You would have to fight it out with the HD
nuts for one though, and I think you would still have to fab a case for
the chain or belt to connect the two.

I would suggest either advertising for a replacement bike with a blown
up motor, or advertising the motor to be used by owner of same.

Use the money to buy more tools. :-)

Cheers
Trevor Jones