Too_Many_Tools

Default Small Benchtop Tool and Cutter Grinder - What to Buy?

Hi,

Any more suggestions?

One of my reasons I am asking is to get educated as to what is
available in small T&C grinders.

I just learned yesterday that I missed out on a small Cinncinati #1
T&C by minutes because of my ignorance of their line.

So, if you were looking for a small T&C grinder, what would you be
looking for?

Also, why are the table top models currently being offered so
expensive?

Thanks

TMT

(Too_Many_Tools) wrote in message . com...
I am looking to buy a small benchtop tool and cutter grinder.

What would you recommend and why?

Pictures would be great so we can all see what you recommend.

Thanks

TMT

Too_Many_Tools

Do you remember who will be selling this Deckel clone?

TMT

Brian Lawson wrote in message . ..
Hey TMT,

There was a clone of the Deckel "SO" at IMTS2004 that the lady said
was $385 US. Made in China of course. Hard to believe!! I asked are
you sure. Yes! three eight five. They had J-head Bridgeport clones
with 2 axis DRO for under 4,000, with full set of R-8's and a 6" Kurt
look-a-like.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

On 29 Oct 2004 16:29:31 -0700,
(Too_Many_Tools) wrote:

Thanks for the comments so far....

Don, I meant links when I asked for pictures...I should have been more
clear.

Another question....why are T&C grinders so darn expensive? The ones
that I see go for alot of money.

Of the versions mentioned so far, is there a favorite among the group?

TMT

(Too_Many_Tools) wrote in message . com...
I am looking to buy a small benchtop tool and cutter grinder.

What would you recommend and why?

Pictures would be great so we can all see what you recommend.

Thanks

TMT

GMasterman

I use one from Harbour Freight. Has worked fine for a couple of years. Ordered
it through the web site. Motor is reversable and it has two good tables and a
water cup and green wheels
Grant Erwin

What do you want to do? If you just want to do some controlled grinding
and also sharpen end mills, you can do this on a small surface grinder with
a 5C end mill grinding attachments and a few 5C collets which need not be
accurate. Then you have a surface grinder *too* which you may use much more
frequently than you would a T&C grinder. I don't believe any more that owning
a T&C grinder makes sense unless you do a whole lot of your own sharpening.

I used to own one. I sold it and kept my little surface grinder.

GWE

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Hi,

Any more suggestions?

One of my reasons I am asking is to get educated as to what is
available in small T&C grinders.

I just learned yesterday that I missed out on a small Cinncinati #1
T&C by minutes because of my ignorance of their line.

So, if you were looking for a small T&C grinder, what would you be
looking for?

Also, why are the table top models currently being offered so
expensive?

Thanks

TMT

(Too_Many_Tools) wrote in message . com...

I am looking to buy a small benchtop tool and cutter grinder.

What would you recommend and why?

Pictures would be great so we can all see what you recommend.

Thanks

TMT

Brian Lawson

Hey TMT,

Wow!! Chicago was in early October, so I'm lucky to remember ANYTHING
this much later!! It was Chinese though, of course. A little later
today I'll dig thru my "stuff" which is still neatly packed away in
piles on the floor here in the computer room!! I'll let you know
either way.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

(Too_Many_Tools) wrote:

Thanks for the comments so far....

Don, I meant links when I asked for pictures...I should have been more
clear.

Another question....why are T&C grinders so darn expensive? The ones
that I see go for alot of money.

Of the versions mentioned so far, is there a favorite among the group?

TMT

(Too_Many_Tools) wrote in message . com...
I am looking to buy a small benchtop tool and cutter grinder.

What would you recommend and why?

Pictures would be great so we can all see what you recommend.

Thanks

TMT

Brian Lawson

Hey again TMT,

As promised earlier (and I must thank you for FORCING me to clean-up
some of this literature and I threw out maybe 50 pounds worth too) I
hunted through a bunch of maybe 60 catalogues I got at IMTS2004, and
surprise surprise, I found it!!

Made by the ZHENG ZHOU MACHINERY CO., LTD. SHANDONG

page 138 of the catalogue, and listed as

ZZM-10A CUTTER SHARPENER

photo is a mirror image of a Deckel single lip cutter grinder, and
also of three accessories/attachments, one of which is an end
mill/reamersharpener holder/spindle (may be what I call an
"air-bearing spindle"...zero friction), but it's hard to tell. And
another that appears to be a drill-bit sharpener. I have no idea what
the third item is, but maybe a block for square or MT taper tools??.

Specs look about the same as Deckel, at 5200 RPM, collet clamping
range from 1/8" to 1-1/8", but later mentions that they have developed
for 5C and R8, so ask about what that means. Deckels use something
around 3C size as I recall.

No prices given in the catalogue, but the price I got is hand-written
on my book by the sales guy as US $350. He was VERY Chinese, and did
not speak English too well, but seemed to understand what I was
saying. I confirmed the price by getting the guy in the next booth to
translate "for sure" on the money at $350.

I think on his card it says the name of the sale demonstrator is

Qin Xue Bing, Export Department
Guang Ming East Street, Ping Yuan, ShanDong, China.

Voice +86-534-4383281/4381762
Fax.. +86-534-4381764

email

website
www.zhengzhoutools.com

Back cover of the catalogue says email is:

****!! after all that typing... have a peek he

http://www.zhengzhoutools.com/En/zz-002770.htm

Catalogue has "more" than is shown there though.

Lemme know what happens. I should have bought the floor model, as I
suspect that the price I got was what an importer would pay, and maybe
you have to buy a shipping container full! Maybe they have a US rep??

Another booth with a very nice Chinese lady quoted me a belt-change
J-head 10 X 54 with 2 axis DRO for $2800US each FOB Vancouver, BC, by
the container load (18 machines??). I think my tool & die buddy who I
saw there is going after a container load, so anybody wants in, gimme
a shout. Probably go for about 3500 US in Windsor, Ontario, plus
taxes, but I didn't really ask him what kind of deal he cu with the
lady.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

On 21 Nov 2004 11:12:58 -0800,

(Too_Many_Tools) wrote:

Thanks for the comments so far....

Don, I meant links when I asked for pictures...I should have been more
clear.

Another question....why are T&C grinders so darn expensive? The ones
that I see go for alot of money.

Of the versions mentioned so far, is there a favorite among the group?

TMT

(Too_Many_Tools) wrote in message . com...
I am looking to buy a small benchtop tool and cutter grinder.

What would you recommend and why?

Pictures would be great so we can all see what you recommend.

Thanks

TMT

Too_Many_Tools

I just came across this posting...thanks for going to the trouble of
getting the information.

TMT